marketing On2 while making fun of On1

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by granrey, Nov 12, 2017.

1. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

As there are at least 5 different ways of dancing on 2, maybe it would help if you clarified exactly what you're discussing .

;)

Offbeat and Live2dance like this.
  2. LarsM

LarsM Nuevo Ritmo

Now you're just trolling! :p

(NY/ET on2)

3. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

Well, I'm dancing both quite similar and about 50:50% of time

4. granrey

granrey Tumbao

lmao. I'm still waiting for the evidence.

if you dance On1 with NY flavor there will he no difference on the secuence lol

5. dav7802

dav7802 Son

I
    I posted a video. Go look at it. Go look at ET, ET jr, Oliver, Terry, Cristian Oviedo, David Tima, Adolfo. They all dance the way we are telling you. Perhaps it is a language barrier or communication channel. Skype?

6. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

I guess we'll have to return to this 100 times, but here from Eddie Torres.

Yes, since nineties on2 dancing has changed, and it got more smoother to match on1 dancing. Nowadays since experienced dancers dance all styles, they will also blend elements. And youtube and stuff.
    But it's still different basic step. If you want it smooth you either practice for 10 years, or make rather elliptic not linear.
    Classical ET2 is with feet together. Anyway, if you watch this video and you perceive it differently - good for you, I won't argue. It does not really matter, after some time people adjust their basics to their partner and they change from song to song.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    LarsM and dav7802 like this.
  7. vit

I'm not sure that I see any feet together in first 3 min demo of Classical ET2 ;)

8. granrey

granrey Tumbao

you can grab any video of a person dancing On2 and mute it.

Then play the same song in your phone. THEN WAIT 3 BEATS to start play video.

I repeat, you start the video 3 BEATS after the song on your phone.

if you do this correctly the On2 dancers will be doing their first step on beat 3 and breaking backwards on beat 5. meaning the On2 couple is now dancing technically On1 with On2 flavor.

9. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

:(:(:(:(Almost every thread has "topic" LA/NY differences

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  10. vit

Except of course if it is linear vs circular or slingshot vs orbiting or break step vs no brake step difference :p

11. dav7802

dav7802 Son

Hopefully the light bulb will light up some day

12. granrey

granrey Tumbao

because there is no difference.

depending the On2 You are dancing. there is difference on where the slow is happening.

if we describe the first FORWARD motion in Salsa in 3 steps as follows (from the point of view of dancing On1)
    the first being a forward break (FB)
    the second being a rock step (RS)
    the third as a walk back (WB)

the Quick Quick Slow is distributed differently.

on On1 LA
    FB is Quick
    RS is Quick
    WB is a Slow

on On2 NY
    FB is Quick
    RS is Slow
    WB is Quick

this does not mean you can't reverse them.

13. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Capitán Del Estilo

So what you're saying is that there is no difference between dancing on1 and on2. Always listen to the Salsa expert, next you'll be telling me that dancing on1=dancing en Clave.

14. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'Fania' Pacheco

There are many videos of Ricardo Tellez and Tianne Frias dancing on5 including at the Albert Torres’s hosted world championships. Please take a look at those. If someone can edit the music to shift so that there break step is on 2, then comparison will be easy :)

Or may be someone can create a video of dancing the same music with on2 or on5 and then **** the music to match the break step :)

I only read what granny and others are arguing but haven’t processed it in my brain. It is too much taxing to convert the written description into visual image :D

Why is terence missing here? :)

My take is:

If you compare ET on2 man’s timing of steps with LA on1 man’s timing then Graney is right that if you shift the music by three beats the two styles will be stepping on the same beats.

Others are right that the feet hitting the same beats (after the music is shifted) won’t result in change of style. May be as graney explains due to how on1 has a QqS feel after the break step feel while ET on2 has QsQ feel after the break step. I am not very sure if ET on2 can be described as QsQ, do others agree?

The best way to describe difference between ET on2 style and the LA style is the CBL. The Slow/pause part in the LA style happen in man’s open position (woman’s forward step). In the ET on2, there is no pause in man’s open position (or woman’s forward step).

Now, can someone dance on1 with same feel as ET on2? Sure. I suspect I do that when I am on1.

15. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

I've been down this "road " too many times. I have danced pretty much of all the ( and taught ) variations of the same theme over the years. Bottom line for me is I don't know what I'm going to dance until the music plays, and also it depends upon the partner. I teach and dance on 1,2 and 3 primarily for the ladies, 1 and 2 for the men. I also show them how old school (what ET copied ) was danced for comparison .

For me, I'm more interested on HOW one dances than all of the options, because when all is said and done, it's a matter of CHOICE ..l

16. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'Fania' Pacheco

I think the question here is about the feel of the dance. Let’s say you take the same music and same partner. You dance twice with different timing for the break step. Would someone watching you feel a physical difference in how you are dancing? (i.e to say if someone edited music around to match your break steps of different timings).

17. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Yes it is but also about HOW one interprets the music .As to appearance, that depends entirely on the knowledge of the "looker " .

In real terms, the distinction is minimal as ones personal style always dominates . .

Offbeat, vit and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  18. dav7802

dav7802 Son

This all started with Granrey stating:

"If you have two couples one dancing On1 and the other dancing On2 and these couples are using earphones per couple. If you start the song on the On2 couple and 6 bits later you start the song on the On1 couple. They should be doing the basic step identically and nobody would know what they are dancing. However, in music they are separated by 6 bits."

But then he finally admits:

"the Quick Quick Slow is distributed differently.

on On1 LA
    FB is Quick
    RS is Quick
    WB is a Slow

on On2 NY
    FB is Quick
    RS is Slow
    WB is Quick"

So if you have the two couples side by side dancing with the steps mentioned above they would NOT look exactly a like because they are taking the SLOW step at DIFFERENT times. FINALLY!!!!!!! lol.

This is the point we have been trying to make. Forget what style, everyone has their own style at some point. The main point is the slow step is in a different spot.

19. granrey

granrey Tumbao

because you can dance doing "step breaks" on beats 2 and 5 with LA Style and you can dance doing "step breaks" on beats 1 and 5 with NY Style.

20. Peason

Peason Son

Actually, this all started with
    Thread drift!

Dissonant Harmony likes this.