Managing health problems in dancing?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Dalaran1991, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Lawndart

Lawndart Tumbao

Thanks Joy! I've been looking for just this sort of info. I need to strengthen and correct some poor movement habits with my feet. So many people think of their feet as lumps of meat at the end the legs. I've always suspected that depending upon arch supports is like walking around most days with my hands in a cast.Without a doubt wearing a cast all day long will protect me. But it's not likely to do much for strength and flexibility;).

Joy in Motion likes this.
  2. tallpaul

tallpaul Pattern Police

Thanks for this Joy - will look into this.

Joy in Motion likes this.
  3. Dalaran1991

Dalaran1991 Son Montuno

I have also noticed that I always get hungry-no, starving-around the middle of the night. Like I would have to run downstairs and raid the fridge. It would make sense on those nights when I come home late from dancing, but even on the nights I got home early I still get really hungry and have to get up in the middle of the night to eat.

I've heard that midnight snacking is bad for your sleep and metabolism.

Can anyone shed some lights on my late night hunger? And whether or not this is a bad thing?

4. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

I never eat before dancing. Usually, I eat once or twice a day and not so much. We live ritht now in a culture where people eat too much and too often. I think sneaking habit is very damaging for a body. We need less food but good quality, and sometimes it is better to starve than eat junk food that available in every corner.

vit and Sabrosura like this.
  5. LarsM

LarsM Nuevo Ritmo

Lots of overgeneralizations in that post Marisha.

- "I never eat before dancing": if you mean that you don't eat a big meal right before dancing, sure. I usually eat a medium+ to fairly big meal 2-3 hours before dancing if I can, depending on how long I think I'm gonna dance.
    - Extrapolating from your own situation (I assume a not very big woman)
    - "People" eat too much and too often - sure many do, but many also don't
    - Sneaking habit - what? Snacking? Depends. I snack quite a bit, but mostly on fruit and veggies.
    - "We need less food, but good quality" - again, overgeneralizing and fairly devoid of meaning.

Aurel and Dissonant Harmony like this.
  6. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

:)
    I eat 2-3 hours before or do not eat at all before dancing and training. I dance not only social dances, so I prefer empty stomach.
    Yes, I am slim, but I do not use any diets, I eat only when I am really hangry, and it happens not so often.:) Two times or once per day. But when I eat, my meal well balanced. I avoid process sugar, bread, and dairy.
    Yes...probably but obesity rate and diseases related to wrong eating behavior are going up. I am sorry, but it is true.
    Snaking habit is when you cannot live without eating a shack every 2-3 hours. You have different food all the time in your mouth. For instance "health bar"(Which is not healthy at all), chips, candies, sweets, brownies end much more. I do not consider fruits and vegetables as a shack, it is a real food.
    I am proud to have my own small organic garden where I plant a lot of different herbs, vegetables(that I can freeze for winter time), fruit trees. I do not have much, but it is enough for my friends and me. I also prepare my own meal and try to eat more raw food. I do not eat fruits whole year because I prefer seasonal and local. When I eat an apple, it is not a shiny apple from a market but smaller and not so pretty from my garden. It tastes better for me.

Smejmoon and vit like this.
  7. G809

G809 Changui

I'm not an expert, but eating once per day over a long period sounds like either an eating disorder or suppressed metabolism.

8. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

It works for me. I have very good stamina. I can dance for instance 12-14 hours without stopping so much. Or kayaking all day long. I just listen to my body. I felt myself worse when I had to eat 3-4-5 times per day. In my case, it calls intermediate fasting. That is a quite good thing to do.
    You can look at this information.

elanimal and Smejmoon like this.
  9. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

100% :rolleyes:yessss

10. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

There are 3 reasons why, the first one is because if you had a big meal your stomach needs some more digestive juice to break it down, so stomach produces it to digest the rest of your meal but your brain catches a wrong signal and thinks you are still hungry. The second one is your brain gets a signal that you are not hungry any more a little bit later. The third reason is psychological dependency from the food.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  11. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

I like stretching and yoga. It develops body plasticity that is vital. After long dancing marathons, I massage my feet and use contrast foot-bath with different herbs :)

12. LarsM

LarsM Nuevo Ritmo

Looks like you're big-time into https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature Marisha! Avoiding bread and dairy for example - just no, unless you have legitimate intolerances or just don't like the taste. I suppose this is getting sliiightly off-topic from "just dance" though :)

I don't think anyone would disagree that a lot of people in modern society overeat and make bad food choices.

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  13. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

Any pictures to illustrate the concept? :D

14. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

The (current) consensus in the field of body-building is that as long as "it fits your macros" (target proteins, carbs and fats) - it doesn't matter (too much) when you eat your meals.

LarsM likes this.
  15. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Shine Officer

When i read "health problems", I don't usually associate diet and exercise as being problematic as these are factors you can control. I know many people with physical disabilities, back/spine/knee problems, and other severe chronic conditions which are for the most part, out of their control. And no, I don't consider being burned out from dancing as a health problem. I am sorry but I don't have sympathy for that.

I am grateful that I am still able to dance. I wrote previously of my blood clot issues and chronic spinal problems, and what helped me the most was changing my mindset. There are some "health" issues that are outside your means of control... but you can always change how you think about what limits you and what you can do to keep yourself happy.

To the OP, if you are still out there. You wrote this still at the tender age of 23. If you are still dancing, maybe you shoudn't look at how you can modify eating/exercise habits so that you can dance more (or to sustain a ludicrously high level of activity) but to think more about how you can modify your thinking to be happy with what you can do and go from there.

Marisha likes this.
  16. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

BTW, I heard that developed chest muscles are bad for dancing. (I also heard something similar regarding the Trapezius).

-I assume it's a flexiblity / posture matte.
    Can anyone please explain that to me?

-Can this matter be addressed by stretching / developing the upper back?

17. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

I believe in preventing medicine. I think if people follow basic principles of a healthy lifestyle if they learn how their bodies work people can prevent a lot of diseases and conditions. So in the future, they do not need to manage their health issues. I said about yoga and stretching because it is the best exercises for body flexibility. With aging our bodies become more still that can lead to different traumas. Flexibility helps to prevent trauma in most cases. Massage is another great tool to support your body, and it does not matter someone does it to you or you do it yo yourself.

18. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Yes, it is true. Our body follows for our mind.

19. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

What do you mean bad for dancing? If you mean a person can lose flexibility and plasticity? It is partly true I have not seen any bodybuilders who dance gracefully:D:D:D. There are two main types of training; sometimes they overlap each other. The first one targets strength and second one functionality. For dancers the most important thing is functionality. So you can work on your chest muscles but include more functional exercises and stretch yourself.
    Here is an example of great functional training that is good for strength and for functionality, that dancers can use.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  20. Marisha

Marisha Descarga