London people...

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by AndrewD, Mar 19, 2009.

1. WessexSalsero

WessexSalsero Rhythm Deputy

We need more people like you in Town :)

2. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Having one night that plays salsa dura, bolero, son, reggaeton, cumbia, choke, timba, bachata, merengue and cha cha cha would be pretty interesting. I'm not sure it's a viable formula though - normally nights that play more up to date Latin genres and also play salsa only play salsa of a more contemporary nature. Which is fine to a certain extent, except a lot of the best salsa is the old stuff. Plus some of us like mambo too, which is generally even older.

Still, there are definite advantages to having more of a mix of music. Hardcore salsa dancers usually dislike such nights because their dancing opportunities (specifically: dancing in their chosen salsa style plus perhaps also bachata) are diminished compared to a night with a one or 2 style policy.

amsbam1 likes this.
  3. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Cumbia is Colombian, although you're right that Mexicans do also like it and do have their own version (inferior imo - no offence intended to anyone). As there are a lot of Colombians in London there are probably Colombian venues playing it in the mix. In fact I have heard of 1 or 2 Colombian or Latin nights in London where they play old school salsa mixed with more contemporary genres.

4. amsbam1

amsbam1 Son

Well, even though the video title says it is salsa choke, they are actually dancing another dance style called choke. In the beginning they are dancing a little salsa choke but not much or not well. Choke is a fun dance in its own right but not one I would see as suitable for London (although I have previously used it for a salsa warm up in Spain, and it went down well).

Salsa choke dance and music is different to choke. It was done by the Colombian football team in the world cup and is very popular in the area around Cali. Here is an example, however basic turns can also be added:

5. amsbam1

amsbam1 Son

Well, I've been around. On the weekends I've gone to Titos, SOS, Bachata ans Salsa vinyl nights in Holborn, El Grande, Mambo city at Uru, salsa fusion, el bembe and a few others.

During the week I have to teach some salsa classes and don't have so much time, so it mainly weekends when I get to try out the different places.

My issue is not that there isn't enough different types of music played in London as a whole. It's that there isn't enough variety in each individual night to keep them from getting boring.

Although, I haven't seen any decent reggaeton places in London, where might you find them?

6. toan-hoang

toan-hoang Descarga

For Reggaeton try the ministry of Sound or google Latin Hip Hop Nights, that will give you a good list of nights.

7. Nika

Nika Son Montuno

Hi Londoners,

I'm in London until next wednesday and am planning to go to El Grande tonight.:)

Any SFs who are going to be there?

8. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

Hi Nika,

I have to give El Grande a miss, but if you are going to the Salseology party tomorrow or SOS on Sunday, see you there :)

9. thepresenceon2

thepresenceon2 Rhythm Deputy

I'd also ad Bar Salsa on Monday night. Had great music, dances and fun there two weeks ago. It's centrally located and really easy to get to and the food was good as well.

10. Nika

Nika Son Montuno

That"s on my list! :)
    I"ve been there before and had a fun night. Plus, I will stay within walking distance tomorrow night, so that"s quite convenient.

Had a great night at the Salseology party last night! :)

11. MacMoto

How was Bar Salsa, Nika? Sorry I couldn't make it but hopefully I'll see you tonight at the Boston :) I'd completely forgotten about introducing you to other SFers on Saturday - sorry! If anyone turns up tonight I'll remember to do that (or maybe you know them already?).

12. Nika

Nika Son Montuno

Sorry for the late reply!!
    I moved from a friend´s place to a hotel on monday and didn´t have easy computer access anymore, so I only found your post when I got back home yesterday (guess it´s about time for a smartphone...;))

The only SF members in London I (consciously) know in person so far are you, Toan and Flujo. I´d be curious if I danced with anyone else without knowing!

I had a great time at all the events I went to in London!:)
    One thing that always stands out for me, when I´m there is how friendly people are!
    The only time someone refused when I asked was when I was asking for a chacha and the leads I asked didn´t know how to dance it. Didn´t have to do a lot of asking anyways, because the leads in London are gentlemen who don´t let a lady stand around for too long..;)
    and the big majority are really nice and make you feel so appreciated!

You are a lovely lead! Hope we´ll get to dance again next time.

@toan-hoang: Thanks for the dance!! :):) Had lots of fun at the Salseology anniversary and the TNT social at the Boston is one of my favourite events to go to in London. Good music, friendly atmosphere and some really musical dancers!
    If it wasn´t so far away, I´d definitely be a regular.

@terence: Thank you for your hospitality and some more enlightening lessons! Gives me a lot to work on for the upcoming months! :)

@thepresenceon2: too bad we missed each other by two weeks... You´re on my "want to dance with"-list..;)

13. UchimaSalsa

UchimaSalsa Son Montuno

What do you think about El grande now it has moved to Scala?
    I loved it when it was held at Vauxhall but I don't like the new place.
    It's too small, the bachata and Kizomba room are not real rooms. I also think the fact that all the rooms are splited other 3 floors "break" the mood.
    I liked we could go from one room to the other in Coloseum.

14. Nika

Nika Son Montuno

I´ve never been at Vauxhall, but a friend of mine also said that it used to be much better there.
    I have to agree that the new venue is not ideal. It would be nicer if the rooms were on the same floor. There was not much space in the salsa room so the floor got very crowded. Plus, I didn´t like the lightning: it was very dark with dazzling spotlights at the same time, that kept shining into my eyes (maybe it was better for taller people, I don´t know..;)). This made dancing on the crowded floor a bit tricky.
    The music in the cuban room was extremely loud, I couldn´t take it for more than 10min (with earplugs!)

I still had a good time, the music iin the salsa room was ok and I had some nice dances.

Just curious: Have you been at any of the other events I´ve been to?

15. thepresenceon2

thepresenceon2 Rhythm Deputy

:oops: you make me blush, and I don't even know you yet.... No fair.. Well hopefully, we'll cross paths with a cross body lead sometime soon...

Nika likes this.
  16. UchimaSalsa

UchimaSalsa Son Montuno

I usually go to the different salsa parties organized around London (salsa fusion, el bembe...)

17. toan-hoang

toan-hoang Descarga

Thanks or popping down :D

Nika likes this.
  18. ElFantastico

ElFantastico Changui

Hi all,

I need some help. I am a salsero from San Francisco, USA and I will be staying in London from Tuesday the 21st through Saturday, the 25th. So basically my nights would be Tuesday, Weds, Thurs, Fri. What are the best options for these nights? My preference is on 2 and I am an advanced dancer....

Unfortunately this thread is incredibly long and it is hard to parse what information and what is not. Anyways, I hope to do some dancing in London!

Also if a summary is in order if you just tell me the 2 or 3 websites where I can look to see where the events are located that could be just as useful. So far I just found the salsa in london site but it does not appear to mention much during the weekdays. It seems like there has got to be something going on in London on Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri.

Appreciate it!

El Fantastico

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  19. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

Tuesday night - TNT (On2 social)- Great Music!! Friendly atmosphere, nice follows-
    info:https://www.facebook.com/events/1637349396522798/

20. MacMoto

Shame you are leaving on Saturday - you'll be missing the vinyl night on the 25th :(

There's not much else in between I'm afraid. On Wednesday night you could try Incognito's night in Hammersmith or possibly Bar Salsa.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015