Leoni Torres

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, May 21, 2016.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

I thought I'd start a thread about Leoni. The first recollection I have of him was a s a singer with Orquesta Maravilla de Florida on the CD Vieja, Pero Se Mantiene from 2001. Maravilla is really a modern son group founded in 1948. I haven't found a video sample from his period with maravilla but that was where David Calzado found him and then brought him the La Charanga Habanera. there he sang timba, timbaton and ballads. He left for his solo career some time in 2008 I think.

In my opinion, he does mostly Cuban pop these days although an occasional salsa. I wouldn't say he's very timba-y. Most of his current music is danceable but not really salsa IMO
    Amor bonito (Rey Ruiz recently did a salsa cover of this song)

Es tu mirada

Para que un día vuelvas - love this song filmed in Pinar del rio are of Cuba

EPK from his CD Salseando

His new EPK

Marisha and kbitten like this.
  2. kbitten

kbitten Clave Commander

Not a salsa band, more like '' music for old people dance'. I liked the bolero

3. timberamayor

Well I like several of his songs - especially Es ty mirada and Para que un dia vuelvas - but more for listening at home, not for clubs.

4. I play the Es Tu Mirada a lot as a DJ and people usually go nuts! Especially the people who like to dance son or salsa in contratiempo. I always go dancing myself when I spin it in the club!

timberamayor likes this.
  5. timberamayor

6. Tomm

Tomm Sonero

I was at his concert last weekend, but did not enjoy myself... I probably had the wrong expectations....

No Conga, no Cowbell, "only" 1 trumpet and one sax ...it just did not deliver what usually get me in the right mood...

the girls /women in the audience seemed to enjoy his Michael Jackson impressions tho :;) His interaction with the audience was great tho.....

timberamayor likes this.
  7. timberamayor

Which concert was that? What was the full make up of the band? He's not coming up to Stockholm. I haven't seen him live since he went solo. I would have expectations of a Latin Pop concert for the most part. Although I would expect a Latin Pop band to include congas :)

8. Tomm

Tomm Sonero

it was in zürich last sunday...
    They had
    1 guy at the drums
    1 keyboard
    1 e-bass,
    1 e-guitar
    1 leoni
    1 singer
    1 singer/bongo
    1 trumpet
    1 sax

9. timberamayor

Maybe you see yourself here :)

10. Tomm

Tomm Sonero

Iam not on this video..:)

and please dont missanderstand me, Iam not saying it was bad, it was just not what I expected....
    Usually when I enter the venue and all the instruments are already on stage I kinda get in the mood....here there was only 1 lone drumkit set up..

He did a very good job on es tu mirada... I almost got the same goosebumps as i get when I hear alexanders voice on the song

11. timberamayor

well disappointment is always a result of unmet expectations. I think Mine wouldn't be really high for a latin pop concert. I'm sure he did a nice job singing. I would like to see Juanes and Carlos Vives oh and Maná in terms of Latin pop. Had Leoni come here I would have gone. We have Revé coming in 2 weeks. that's really more my taste and I have high expectations of them. I just hope the audio at the venue is good. that is what can make a break a show more often than not IMO.

12. timberamayor

His new song - just latin pop but fun and entertaining. I saw in the commenst someone said he's Cuban's most versatile artist. Certaibly he's a good singer and cannot be pegged into just one musical category.

timbero-fi and Marisha like this.