Learning pachanga

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Zotop, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

mmmm....so cool...

2. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

Basic step is the hard part. Rest is decoration. But I don't doubt you. I guess you had some training that helped before. Care to share a video?

3. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

I got it, but it does not mean I mastered it. I think I am not ready yet for video...but when I feel more confident I will do it and share. :) What about your pachanga?

Smejmoon likes this.
  4. Smejmoon

Half a year or so. But still much to work on. Enough to have fun.

Marisha likes this.
  5. Smejmoon

Also I can't do it in heels or barefoot. Floor and shoes change a lot for me.

6. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

I noticed it depends on my posture, and not how I move my feet. If I change a little bit posture I make mistakes. I can dance basic in any footwear even barefoot if I control posture.

Smejmoon likes this.
  7. Smejmoon

Yesterday I saw dude doing it barefoot on hotel carpet. He was like 100kg. No complaints from me about floor after that. Better dancers have less external limitations.

8. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

:)Are you going to stop it? It does not make you a bad dancer if you have not mastered basic yet. You just have to keep looking that you missed...what element you do not pay attention to. There are no bad or good dancers in a social non-professional salsa dance, there are people who have a different attitude toward dance, people who have a different attitude toward details and people who just need time to find answers and master technical things.

Smejmoon likes this.
  9. Smejmoon

Oh, as I wrote above, I enjoy my pachanga plenty. I just saw some really good one. Get inspirations on dancefloor all the time.

Marisha likes this.
  10. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

I have an idea...Let's make videos of our pachanga journey, and after 7-8 months we can do something like compilation and share it. If someone wants to join, everyone is welcome. I am going to do it.

Smejmoon likes this.
  11. dav7802

dav7802 Son

I just started to learn myself. Bought the DVD's from Jorjet after taking a couple classes at festivals from other teachers. How would a compilation work?

Marisha likes this.
  12. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

I think we need to record ourselves each month and after that, we will make one video that will contain eight pices(8 short videos)...it can be something like this.

By the way, yesterday I made my first video.. :D:eek::oops:
    Are you in? It would be nice

13. dav7802

dav7802 Son

Yeah, I am down for that. Just to confirm:
    1. One video a month. length, angles, and what not are up to each person.

Question on posting.
    Post each month? Post at end of 8 months? Post between ppl doing the challenge?

Practicing is up to each person. Of course this will show up in the videos. :)

Marisha likes this.
  14. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Personally, I want to create something like a support group in this process, not a competition or showing off. So you are welcome to make suggestions how you see it. I am going to film myself each week and at the end of each month. In the final video, I want to show what my results of self-learning. I am also going to film my bad days because it is part of the journey. If someone is interested in watching it, I will make a bad day pachanga full compilation:eek:. It is going to be funny.
    So, I think it is better to post at the end of 8 months. It will be more comfortable for me because I am a little bit, shy person. :panda: Your ideas are welcome. :)

Smejmoon likes this.
  15. dav7802

dav7802 Son

That works for me. I think my bad days will out number my good days. lol

I would say it is up to each person to video or practice as much or as little as they want. We can then post as much or little as we want to encourage each other, ask questions, or get feedback.

Will try and record something tonight. Yikes......

Marisha likes this.
  16. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Guys, I found some videos that can be helpfull for us...check it. These guys have 8 videos in their playlist...it is not English...but I think we can understand them.

and ect...

17. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Ok, Let's do it. If people want to share their videos as they go in order to get feedback, it is ok.. so we will not make strict rules...The only one rule is at the end we have to present a final result of our work.:) Additionally, you can be creative and you can make as many videos as you want, choose any angle ...so you are an artist.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Jag75 likes this.
  18. G809

G809 Changui

So can we discuss pachanga technique for a sec?

My understanding is that the basic movement relies on a pivot on the back heel (e.g. if you are doing singles, for example, and switching from one foot to next). Most people seem to teach it this way, including ET, ET jr., and Shani. But I have noticed increasingly that folks are teaching the pivot on the front ball of the foot. At first I thought this was because it's hard with the ladies high heel to do the heel pivot, but I know Shani definitely teaches it this way, and dances it this way even in heels. I think Jorjet does also. But it seems that Griselle is doing a ball of foot pivot, and possibly Adolfo as well? Can anyone help sort this out?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  19. Smejmoon

When one foot pivots on heel other pivots on the ball, then they switch. This is without wearing heels.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  20. G809

G809 Changui

Right, so in that situation where the one foot is in forced arch and pivoting on the ball and the other is pivoting on the heel, I see some teachers demonstrating *both* feet as ball of foot pivots!