Johnny Vasquez' Message To LA

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by opm1s6, Oct 3, 2017.

1. MrR

MrR Son Montuno

Interesting ...
    Had a discussion with a friend about what is wrong in my scene and why I come to his to dance. Get home, see that video.
    He could have been referring about the scene I am plagued with, just by replacing the name of the City.

Smejmoon likes this.
  2. BMorin

BMorin Son

Same in Southern California. I see a clear feedback loop as a result.

My observation is On2 reached a critical mass of stronger dancers teaching it with int/adv technique, which attracted more strong/experienced dancers. Over time On1 became associated with beginner technique and weaker dancers. Hence, if you're an On1 dancer and you want to learn strong technique and take classes with stronger dancers, switching to On2 makes a lot of sense. This has nothing to do with musicality, it's people and easier access to strong instruction.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    vit, wol and Smejmoon like this.
  3. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

the beat one uses has nothing to do with strong or weak Techn as it is standardised .And there are NO techns that should be avoided because of dance level . One cannot qualify it .
    As I have stated, "1" was expedient for teaching, and the quality of teaching may be as bad teaching either !

Groove On likes this.
  4. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

I would give this a hundred likes if it were possible :D

DJ Yuca likes this.
  5. LarsM

LarsM Tumbao

[​IMG]

6. granrey

granrey Son Montuno

the thing is that there is business manipulation and trends.

last Friday I went dancing and the club had a beginners bachata lesson. After the basic steps an of inside/outside turns. the teacher gave students the option of learning "sensual bachata" or "Dominican bachata". This is how he did it (btw, this is where teachers teach something to hook up/ entise students with future paid lessons):

"there are two type bachata: Dominican which is basically fancy footwork and sensual bachata that has lots of sensual moves and you guys want sensual bachata right? (while doing a sexy move that all women start it screaming orgasmiscly "yessss")"

that's how he proceeded to teach sensual bachata and giving info on where to get more lessons from him away from the club.

7. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

:(

8. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

We can pretend we're purists or we can admit that shiny objects work on the masses and not feel guilty. If it get's people dancing then go for it.

Smejmoon and wol like this.
  9. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

If it gets people doing horrible moves to poor quality music then it's good for the 'scene'? I've never heard of a sensual bachata event featuring any sizeable quantity of salsa music, as the music played at sensual bachata events and real salsa are just too far removed from each other.

(Unless it's an event with 2 rooms, but in that case I think it's a matter of time before people realise the 2 rooms have so little common ground that there is no particular reason to hold them together.)

10. canei

canei Son Montuno

It is sad isn't it?

Sometimes it hurts my head trying to understand how a dance that can be so simple and musical can continually get so misinterpreted.

(note - it can also get complex, but subtle)

11. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

You're putting your subjective opinion in front of the reality of how dance grows and how the business side of things works. It's a lot easier to sell people sensual bachata because it has an easier more powerful emotional reaction. I don't like sensual bachata but I have to respect that people have the right to dance however they want. Your issue is with the trend in bachata; that sucks for you and I but we just have to kick rocks. It's pandora's box, once you've shown people a more emotional way to dance, good luck keeping horny, single adults from turning bachata into what it is. At the end of the day people are dancing to Latin music and I have to take that as a win and look at the positive.

wol and Smejmoon like this.
  12. DJ Yuca

When I first got into salsa 10 years ago I could find events playing salsa music with ease. Now, generally speaking, I can't. Whether what's replaced salsa is Latin or not really doesn't make things any better.

That's subjective opinion in that my personal taste is salsa. In the same way that it's my subjective opinion that I choose to go on Salsa Forums.

13. DJ Yuca

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of horny, single adults in the Dominican Republic. From what I've heard there is plenty of sex happening over there. Yet I can't imagine they'll be adopting sensual bachata any time.

(Unless they get inundated with tourists asking for it, I suppose.)

14. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

It's just a matter of time

15. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

@Sabrosura, please tell us that Hispaniola is so remote island, that it's the only spot on the planet, where people don't like to grind.

16. DJ Yuca

The Spanish have already conquered the country once, but I can't see it happening twice.

17. vit

It won't be Spanish, but AESBF (Allied European sensual bachata forces)

So says my crystal ball

18. DJ Yuca

Sensual bachata is a Spanish invention I believe. It's become popular throughout Europe it's true.

19. vit

Bodywaves were invented long ago, zouk borrowed shaping moves from contemporary dancing, so I don't see what is actually the subject of the invention

20. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Old school mambo for one ex.