Is Livin la Vida Loca salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by SmartAlx, Jan 3, 2009.

1. SmartAlx

SmartAlx Tumbao

I see it all the time on salsa websites and on popular TV dance shows. They also like to play it at my dance studio. But strictly speaking, is Ricky Martin's Livin la Vida Loca really a salsa?

2. Chevere

Chevere Changui

Yes is salsa and Ricky Martin is a pretty good salsero...

3. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

i would say not. probably latin pop?

4. KP-salsa

KP-salsa Shine Officer

I'd say yes, although it's not my cup of tea.

5. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

My opinion (which is right) is that it's not salsa, and that Chevere is yanking your chain, and that KP is being "inclusive" beyond the levels mortal man should be expected to go to.

Edit: here's my rationale:

FOR:

* Contains brass
    * Sounds a bit latin
    * Bass pattern hits 2& like in salsa
    * Brass is played with a clave
    * Vocals may or may not have a clave

AGAINST:

* Rock drums
    * ska rhythms
    * conga drum is way in the background
    * no cowbells
    * no cascara
    * no bongo
    * sung in English
    * no montuno
    * melody not typically latin
    * chord progression no typically latin
    * rock guitar solo
    * contains tambourine
    * strong backbeat
    * organ part is just a pad, not at all latin sounding

I would call it latin-inspired rock.

6. KP-salsa

KP-salsa Shine Officer

You're just in a funk because your car's broken. :)

7. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

it's a combination of that and Ricky Martin.

8. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

The true test: If a DJ in a hard core salsa club put that on in the middle of a salsa rotation; would all the dancers just keep dancing salsa or would they sit down or would they throw nasty looks at the DJ booth .. or would they throw other nasty things at the DJ booth.

9. Latinmusik

Latinmusik Sonero

The most of the dancers haven't any idea about the music, so they will keep dancing. For me it's a MTV song with latin touch.

10. gabe0725

gabe0725 Descarga

From a musicians standpoint, its definitely not a salsa and a Henry Knowles or any other DJ with respect from musicians will never play that in their set.

11. salsashoes

salsashoes Sonero

I say NO.

12. KP-salsa

KP-salsa Shine Officer

Ah, but the REAL reason that it would clear the floor of hardened salsa dancers is rather more because it's "La Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin - the hit latin crossover pop record that their granny, boss and drivign instructor's dog knows - not necessarily because of the song.

It would be akin (taking a UK perspective, if I may) to Djing at a hardened Rock and Roll club (the kind filled with Teds, leathers and people who know their Charlie Feathers from their Louis Jordan - not the kind where they dance Ceroc(TM)) and playing Shaking Stevens - you can still dance to it, it's still a kind of rock and roll, but it's pastiche rock and roll designed for mass radio consumption.

13. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

There's some truth in what you say I think, but I'd still say it's latin pop, not salsa.

From sweavo's list,
    These are kinda crucial to me - these things combined make the rhythmic backbone of the song too far removed from salsa for me to recognise it as salsa.

I might also add that I have the same problem about accepting "R&B salsa" as salsa - the basic rhythm is too close to R&B to be salsa any more. Oh, and I also say that Micaela by Sonola Carruseles is not salsa - I still like it and happily dance to it, but it's a boogaloo to me. So it's not just about the song being "La Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin as far as I'm concerned ;)

14. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

You 2 are Funny !!

15. terence

I didnt even know it was music ?

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  16. KP-salsa

KP-salsa Shine Officer

Okay, I accept it's not strictly a salsa song (but then Puente maintained that Salsa as a musical style didn't actually exist). But it's as close to it as plenty of tunes that DO get played at salsa nights.

17. terence

please tell me where you are experencing this...... I need to avoid it !!

( if a DJ in the States played that, they would probably lynch him!! )

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  18. KP-salsa

KP-salsa Shine Officer

How about Amy Winehouse's version of Valerie?

19. terence

I can always rely on my " laugh of the day " from you and a couple of others .

20. salsashoes

salsashoes Sonero

also madonna and xtina . amy winehouse. and hips don't lie . not salsa in my eyes but what do I know.