Is Kizomba just dry humping?

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by nowhiteshoes, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Aurel

Aurel Sonero

Oh, I forgot. When I dance tarraxinha I also dance A LOT with my abdomen. Sometimes girls laugh that it feels as if I was belly dancing :D I use it for some staccato movements to certain beats, where the girls would usually make the movement by bending their torso or pushing their ribcage forward while I do it solely with abdominal muscles without moving my spine. It's also awsome to combine with overall movement of body, where I would e.g. to a slowed-down steps stretchet for 2+ beats while I would keep doing the beat with my abdomen.

2. Winston

Winston Descarga

That's a really good resolution. Train a lot alone before a mirror the hip movements and with partner.

Tarraxinha is not boring as Aurel has described. There's a lot happening that's not visible for spectators. But you as a couple can have all the nice feelings together on the music. If you both feel that you experience and interpret the music the same way it really feels like magic.
    For me that makes kizomba, kizomba.

Marisha and Aurel like this.
  3. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

Most of it is visible anyway, once you get those movements, so you can "feel" what happens by watching someone else doing that. However, many times those movements are quite small (something like 1cm or so) so it's easy to be mislead by some bigger movements that actually don't have the focus

Several basic tarraxinha movements are a kind of codified and have names. At time of my last tarraxinha class (I think it was Arnold, 2015) I think there was 6-7 of them. You can hear Petchu mentioning the names in the clip posted by Aurel. Of course, ways of combining them or adding variations are endless ...

If I dance it longer with a follower (which, as I said, happens rarely now - mostly if some of first generation kizomba followers that didn't continue to kiz stuff happens to come to some party after longer time), I prefer to gradually release hold/leading towards lightest possible ... you can lead most of it by almost not touching follower's back with your hands, by pure weight transfer and using elasticity of the spines (yours and her) and let your and her hips react to it naturally, once (if) she relax ... of course you can use hands to add more variety or even combine with some zouk things etc or she can add more of her movement within your lead ... etc ... movements can be small, but can also be bigger, depending on the follower - some have smaller and some larger range of movement with relatively relaxed body ...

Marisha and Winston like this.
  4. vit

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Aurel and Marisha like this.
  5. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

Guys, what do you think about these instructors? P.S. The favorite vit's angle of dance is included.:p

6. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

I think she would make a lovely salsa dancer, if she would not do k*zomba. Danced with her several times, always a pleasure. Nemanja is cool example that really tall guys can dance too.

7. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

You do not like Kizomba:)

8. vit

Well, it's similar to how it is danced in my venue as well, which I don't like ... I don't know can you see it, but it's considerably different than Eliza Sala, essentially hip isolations and bodywaves ... we were doing those things even in BR latin classes decades ago for warmup, and in salsa as well ... connection of hip movement and weight transfer in tarraxinha is not explained.

I suggest checking the videos where at least one of the dancers in the couple is from Angola or some neighbor countries .... but I'm not sure that it's well explained anywhere ... it's just how they naturally interpret the music ... they don't know how to teach white people to do similar

It's not my favorite angle, it's the favorite angle of people who record those videos ....

9. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'Fania' Pacheco

It made me laugh (in a good way) :)

Someone reading it out of context, not knowing it is about dancing, will wonder what is that vit is describing and wth 'zouk thing' is! It is not graphic, but by vit's standard it is :p.

10. Offbeat

You asking that on a salsa forum? :)

11. vit

Well, my english obviously needs some improvement ... :)

12. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

It was not a question:)

Smejmoon and vit like this.
  13. Offbeat

Nah your English is perfectly fine :) It was well explained but the way you put it gave me a chuckle. Especially imagining a fine gentleman like you telling so to a group of students in a class :)

14. Offbeat

Without a question indeed! :)

15. Winston

Winston Descarga

[​IMG]

Mr. Ralph Furley's face overhearing vit.

Mr. Furley: 'Wth is a soook thing?'

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Offbeat likes this.
  16. in my
    opinion it is just like walking - not really dancing...

17. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

I do not want to start a new thread about my kizomba question. Guys who dance kizomba I want to ask you a question. Yesterday I had quite interesting experience. I danced kizomba with a partner, and he said I am too light. He does not feel enough resistance from me. He said when he dances with other followers he has to use his muscles to lead them. In my case, he does not need, and he thinks it is a bad thing. He asked me to give him more resistance. The thing is, when I started to give him resistance and make my frame more solid(even more than solid) he liked it, but I lost all my sensitivity for his lead. I started to make many mistakes. I asked a teacher to dance with me and asked about my frame, the teacher told I have a good frame, and I should not listen to that leader. So, I am confused.

18. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

He just wants to feel more of you, no worries :D

vit likes this.
  19. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

20. Winston

Winston Descarga

I love light follows, not only for kizomba, but also every other dance style.