Is Kizomba just dry humping?

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by nowhiteshoes, Jun 15, 2013.

1. hmijail

hmijail Changui

Vit, may I ask where did you get that info? I've rather heard the contrary (mild renaissance of proper kizomba/semba and french style being past its peak), but the truth is that I can't really pinpoint any source.
    On the other hand, this year it looks like AfricaDan├žar was full of french-style/kizomba 2.0/sensual-dubstep* wannabes, so... who knows.

*Sensual-dubstep (C) (R) (TM). You heard it here first, folks!

Aurel likes this.
  2. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

I've always thought of dubstep being sensual music..

3. vit

vit Clave Commander

There was some kind of blog describing kizomba and at the end situation in Angola. Search for the topic "kizomba is dead" in this section, I posted a link

Of course, I don't know how accurate it is, but I tend to believe it could be true. Of course, there are various venues there, so it is more alive in some places and less in other. And probably there is an occurrence of some kind of kizomba dance tourism, like it's the case with salsa in latin countries

I didn't watch AfricaDancar last years, but it's a competition, so obviously people use the wow factor to place better, like in any other dance genre. AfricaDancar vs social kizomba is in the same relationship like dancing with stars with ballroom social dancing. However, competitions are influencing social dancing to some extent, because part of the people is watching them and then they want to do the same ...

4. hmijail

hmijail Changui

OK, found the topic. Interesting discussion.

I see anyway that it's mostly about kizomba maybe dying out but semba continuing. <breathes relieved> On one hand to me that's not so bad, to tell the truth, and to be sure a number of well-known teachers have been saying for years in congresses that "kizomba is just sensual/slow/basic/boring semba". On the other hand, semba seemed to arrive (to my zone at least) on the basis of kizomba, so if kizomba is perverted or rooted out, I wonder how semba will evolve. There's preciously little afro-house/kuduro here, too - but there is.

Regarding the perverting of kizomba, I have a feeling that teachers who pump out patterns (which are most) are the guilty party here, and have been since forever. Once the market is convinced of the need for pattern-pumping, then those who can pump the most, win. And the ones who can pump the most are exactly those who are not stopped by tradition or even taste, ergo... french style, fusionists, Urban Kizouk.

Brazilian Zouk is an admittedly synthetic dance, right? As in, teachers just designed and standardized it purposefully. At some point I thought that that might be the end game of french style, but doesn't seem to be happening.

5. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

I've been doing Kizomba a week and already a purist so none of this new fangled urban Kiz for me lol :troll: