installing a dance floor at home

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by misty, May 25, 2010.

1. misty

misty Son

I learned how to salsa, I had a lot of fun, I took lessons, I improved, I participated in the social scene regularly, I spent money on salsa clothes, I spent money on salsa boots, I travelled to salsa events, I even joined a salsa discussion forum! :p

I know I am hooked. The next thing I want to do is to have my own dance floor in my basement for practice. Has anyone done this before? I will have mirrors along all the walls. I plan to have a foam under layer and have wood floor boards for the dance floor. What sort of flooring should I use?

Cork
    Bamboo
    Birch
    Maple
    Red Oak
    Cherry Wood
    White Ash
    Mahogany
    Pine
    Laminate

What is best for the glide that salsa dancers love yet can withstand the rigors of high heels over long periods of time?

Most of my non-salsa friends think I am nuts but I was hoping to hear how others here have done something similar?

2. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Having laid several over the yrs ( in my own studios ) if I could have afforded it at the time.. Maple.. which ever you choose( NOT laminate ) do not put polyurethane as a coating... wood needs to " breathe ".. a light coat of paraffin wax is all thats needed .. buff and leave for 24 hrs.. if you want to " float" your floor, then cross joisting will be neded

Dont forget to seal the ground floor before installing ..

3. misty

misty Son

Does one need to coat the hard wood floors, maple, bamboo or other types of hard wood with anything to prevent it from getting scratched by heels and everyday wear and tear?

Maple I am guessing has the best glide? Is that what the professional dance studios use?

4. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

I've read that you should never install a solid-wood floor below ground, so you might want to consider a laminate. You'd still want a hardwood top layer (ie, not Pergo). Bamboo seems to be getting popular, and I've seen it used in dance studios around here.

5. terence

Not true.. an assoc. of mine here has one ,and its been installed for 12yrs.. no problem... there was also a very famous coach in London who had a below ground studio for multi yrs

6. terence

No coat is necessary.. you shoulld not be " digging " your heels in the floor in normal dance usage, particularly in latin, as the footwork with very few exceptions, is ball/flat.

Maple floors were the ones installed in all the Public ballrooms in the UK, when they existed..

7. DaveFUK

DaveFUK Tumbao

Got bamboo in my living room. The boards normally come with a laquer on top and they scratch quite easily. :(

8. DaveFUK

DaveFUK Tumbao

My ex partner installed a cheap oak wood laminate(not plastic stuff) floor from B&Q in her basement. It comes ready laquered with a pretty tough coating. Was installed for 6 years with no problems at all.

9. terence

The US quality is not very good....cant speak to UK

10. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

Many floors come pre-finished. If you do install raw wood, I've had very good experience with water-based Swedish finishes. I used one on the oak floor in my living room about 12 years ago and it still looks really good.
    Using raw wood means the material will be fairly cheap, but the labor (nailing in each board, then sanding it when done) drives the price way up unless you do it yourself.

11. barrefly

barrefly Nuevo Ritmo

May I put in my 2 cents.
    I was thinking Misty, it's not like you are opening up a studio or something.
    Have you consider portable floors. Something you could breakdown and transport,
    like to an outside social event.
    http://www.masterportabledancefloors.com/ (random example)
    ...just thought I would throw it out there.

12. misty

misty Son

Thanks everyone for the valuable advice on installing a dance floor in my basement. I currently have an unfinished basement and I cannot think of a better use for it then having my very own practice studio. That way, with a little instruction and a lot of hard work, hopefully I can come near the level of the great dancers here at Salsa Forums.

Regarding a portable dance floor, while that is probably a great idea for some, I don't think I will ever need to move mine. I asked at the Home Depot, a major home renovations store here in the States and was told that most types of wood style laminate is very durable and can handle dancing in heels without serious problem better then a hard wood thus I am leaning towards going with a laminate. Does anyone know if the glide on a laminate is close to that of what real dance floors use?