Improving my DLQ with Cuban motion?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by TomSchueler, Dec 13, 2016.

1. TomSchueler

TomSchueler Changui

My DLQ feels very stiff and I have pretty much no momentum nor a feeling of flow. I discovered something recently which could fix this. I had never thought about it before, so maybe you guys can help me and tell me if is part of Cuban motion and what I can do to even increase the power of Cuban motion.

I was watching a couple of Cuban Salsa videos by some advanced dancers. While looking at their Dil que No, I realized something I had never seen before. To gain momentum before swinging the lady from left to right , many dancers straighten the left leg (nothing unusual here) but also seem to lean with their bodies to the left on the 8s count.

My guess is this technique works similiar to an elastric strap. Sagita once described this as "In the basic follower and leader use this sort of oppositional movement, coming together and then using the compression to move away from each other again."

(I would love to insert a picture here but I am not able to due to the 10 posts-limit before posting links. So, here is the workaround)

s24[dot]postimg[dot]org/dt8rq3u6d/momentum[dot]png

Is this a "natural" thing that hapends while we straighten the left leg? Are you guys consciously working on this and could you tell me how to gain even more momentum while turning the lady?

youtube[dot]com/watch?v=Ss3QT0eu6TE

2. BMorin

BMorin Son

The straightening of the leg and shift of the upper body are part of the larger motion of shifting your weight onto your left foot. When done in a CBL/DLQ it creates a lead smoothly pulling the follow forward with little to no arm action. If this isn't happening I would look into how you're stepping in your basic.

Another thought is that where your hips are in relation of the follow (front, parallel, behind) is also going to have a pretty big impact in how your cross body is going to look/feel.

TomSchueler likes this.
  3. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

Straightening of legs is just a part of cuban movement. You usually step on somewhat bent leg and straighten it more or less during weight transfer, and as a consequence, your spine bends from one side to other and your hips move ...

Leading a move with some elastic strap or ruberband feel isn't directly connected with that - it is heavily used in WCS as well for instance, which doesn't have a cuban movement. Or brazilian zouk. It's just a consequence of you and follower moving towards and away from each other and relatively relaxed connection in arms which should act like a spring. However, this connection is also affecting the body movement as it is additional force applied to the body, and body acts like an additional spring in that connection. So you have to get your body movement in tune with movement of your body in relation to the followers body until it starts working. Hard to explain precisely how without overcomplicating the description - it's the best to get someone to dance with you as leader and follower and hopefuly diagnose the problems (like you don't move into right direction, you lead with arms instead with movement of your body etc)

If you want to give the follower more momentum, you just have to move more away from her in direction you want her to move, allowing the connection to extend more, and it will lead her that way ...

TomSchueler likes this.
  4. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

I agree with this. Make sure your basic step is fully committed, i.e. you really transfer your full weight from one foot to other. If not then you will stay in the middle and you will feel stiff. If you do transfer full weight on the left foot on 4 (I assume you do contratiempo) then to keep you from falling the left foot would be in between your showlders. This is normal also for CM. Since your left foot is in between the showlders it appears as if you are leaning to the left when in fact you are simply stepping with full weight.

Now to drive this more you have to not only step but continue to move the showlder of the stepping foot. So if you are stepping on the left foot with slight bent/flex knee, the left showlder moves to the left (and slightly forward) until you straighten that left foot. If you do that and your partner is opening out by stepping back on her right foot and moving her right showlder to the right then you create this elastic momentum. In other words no need for pulling or pushing. Just ensure first that you really transfer your weight when you step on 4.

TomSchueler likes this.
  5. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

Shouldn't you blend it to the 5?

TomSchueler likes this.
  6. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

Not for me. I have full weight transfer on 4 with an additional action on 5 (rotation, tap, hesitation with the right, etc).

7. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

I actually transfer the weight to the left foot around that time. (perhaps a bit earlier), and merely put my right on the floor.

If I have an 'additional thing' to do, then it would be done while transfering the weight to the right.

TomSchueler and Live2dance like this.
  8. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

I think it is very similar assuming we are both talking about contratiempo (so stepping on 4 with left and then on 6 with the right). Indeed for me too the additional action I do on 5 is combined with the transfer of weight to the right foot forthe count 6. So for example, tap with right foot on 5 and step with full weight on the same foot on 6.

TomSchueler likes this.
  9. TomSchueler

TomSchueler Changui

Hey guys, thank you all for your great anwers! @Live2dance, I am beginner, so simply out of pure curiosity, why would you assume I dance contratiempo? Does it make the DLQ easy to lead or are there other differences? I have to say that mostly I do the usual 123 567 beat and the steps accordingly.

10. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

Hi there
    I think that when I first looked at the video I had the impression that the couple was dancing contratiempo but looking at it again it seems to me that they are dancing on3 and not contratiempo. Am not sure if there is an issue with youtube sound having a delay.

But if the sound is correct and they dance on3 then the man's steps are 3 fwd break with left leg, step on right leg on 4 and step on left leg on 5. Then tap on 6 with right leg and break bwd with right leg on 7, step on left leg on 8 and step on right leg on 1. Then you tap with left foot on 2 and step fwd on left leg on 3. Then the cycle starts again. In this timing you can also do all the steps on the spot as long as you tap on 2 and 6 and emphasise your steps on 1 and 5.

There is nothing wrong with the timing they use in the video but it is different than yours so you should delay things by 2 beats if you are dancing tiempo. In other words whatever you are doing on the count of 1, he is doing on the count of 3. I hope this is clear (but all depends on the sound quality of the video).

It is up to you to chose your timing preference (though it will also depend on the availability of partners to dance to the timing you chose). So let us say that on3 is not as well known.

Now one final thing, my explanations in the earlier posts are for contratiempo. So what I was describing for say the count of 4, you should do on the count of 3! I hope you are not totally confussed by the three different timings.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    TomSchueler likes this.