How to easily get into salsa?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Gerry5, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Gerry5

Gerry5 Changui

Hi everyone,
    since I've got a friend who is a longtime salsa dancer, I got interested in it and decided 4 years ago I would learn to dance. I enrolled a class and while I learnt a lot of moves I was still stiff and people noticed that, also some girls told me that I don't feel the music or that I dance to fast.. That's why I stopped attending the class. Now when I have some more free time again, I'm thinking about starting to dance again but this time I want to enjoy in it completely and get quite good at it.
    So my question is how to relax when you dance and how to feel the music better?

Marisha and Dissonant Harmony like this.
  2. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

Listen to the music in your free time. Make it your favorite music. Maybe you already did that. But the more you listen and feel familiar with it the more relaxed you'll feel when you dance.

Also you are not alone in stopping and then coming back to salsa. I did the same thing and when I came back was when I really found the right teacher for me. Good luck

Gerry5, matty and Chris_Yannick like this.
  3. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

Practice basic steps at home to Salsa music. Once you can dance the rhythm without thinking you will feel more confident and be able to think of learning and leading instead of stepping and timing. Private lessons and a Salsa course could also help after mastering steps and timing.

Gerry5, dahvee and SnowDancer like this.
  4. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

Keep breathing, keep stomping - mark the beat with your feet no matter what happens. Find salsa songs that you actually like. Dance by yourself as well as with others, including those whom you like.

Gerry5 and Chris_Yannick like this.
  5. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

Starting salsa for a guy is very hard. But it becomes awesome experience after some skill is gained and good parties found.

Gerry5 likes this.
  6. granrey

granrey Sonero

My suggestion is to concentrate taking level 1 salsa in several schools plus drop in classes.

As weird as it sounds. Level 1 is different in every school plus you will learn lots basic moves, plus lots of chance to practice them. You will also get exposed to different styles, teachers, people, music etc.

Dominating/ practicing basic moves will make it easier for you later.

Then you can take level 2 or more in the schools of your choice.

Also YouTube is a good source too.

Gerry5, Al Israel and elanimal like this.
  7. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

The SF members gave you good recommendations; I can add one more. Do not be hard on yourself. All the time try to find something that you did well. Appreciate even small success. It will build your confidence. And do not give up...just keep going step by step. I wish you good luck in your endless salsa journey. And Welcome!:)

Gerry5 and azana like this.
  8. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

Also, I don't presume to know your situation / scene, but I wouldn't necessarily put too much stock into what "some girls" say, unless you are sure they are experienced and knowledgeable. Sometimes you just need to find the 'right' people within the scene, who appreciate you for what you are and how you dance. They may be the nicer people, or simply those whose style suits your own. Some parties I can end up dancing with only 4-5 leads all night, but they dance with me several times, and they're a combination of super friendly and genuine gems inside a cliquey scene and the lovely, subtle musicality I prefer.

In addition to all of the excellent advice above, of course :)

SnowDancer, Gerry5 and Smejmoon like this.
  9. matty

matty Shine Officer

if you are dancing too fast, one of the most common reasons for it is forgetting about the 'rest' on the last beat of each bar. salsa is a 6 step pattern upon an 8 beat musical pattern, so without that rest for one beat each bar you will go more and more out of sync as the song progresses.
    another reason is confusing the intensity of the music with the 'speed' of the music which are two very different things. i had a friend who used to do this and it took her ages to get over it. she used to dance faster as the intensity of a song would increase. very unpleasant to dance with someone like that, because you have to dance to them rather than dancing to the music....the only other alternative is a trainwreck
    one tip i can give you is that the Campana is a very easy sound to follow in salsa if you are losing the beat. it marks the "1" on each bar not unlike the bassdrum in house music.

if you want to really enjoy dancing to salsa, then my recommendation is buy some salsa albums, and listen to them until you know them back to front. learn about the music and you will enjoy it for the music's sake. even a decent greatest salsa hits CD would be a good start because you can get a nice well rounded representation of the genre and it is a good foundation to build upon.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    dahvee and Gerry5 like this.
  10. Gerry5

Gerry5 Changui

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! :)

11. HavanaCola

HavanaCola Son Montuno

Listen to music , and see if you r into it
    Maybe it will grow on u
    Some dancers obviously don't connect to the music even they have good technique, but their dancing is just lifeless, no joy and it's very obvious to see

Then practice practice , alone at home in front of mirror, until u get comfortable with ur movement
    Take lesson ,Go to social dancing events,
    Find a partner if u can