How do you acquire music?

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by DJ Yuca, Feb 20, 2017.

1. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

I still buy CDs for the most part. And occasional vinyl. I listen to the physical CDs at home and in the car but I will still copy to my computer and iPod.

I rarely download but I do purchase downloads from CD Baby now and then to support independent artists. I avoid iTunes as much as possible.

If I need to learn music for a gig that is on youtube I will stream it while playing along and practicing. I do not download or rip music illegally at all any more ( not to say I have not been guilty of that in the past ). I know how difficult it is for musicians to survive in this digital age and how much effort goes into a production.

MAMBO_CEC and DJ Yuca like this.
  2. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

I was amazed to find out recently how much, ahem, proper salsa is available on itunes compared to ~ 5 years ago. They actually have a relatively good selection of salsa dura and mambo.

A lot of albums / songs are now available on itunes that were discussed as not being available by some of the now, non postings salsa djs from ~ 7 years ago, and are now available.

Sure, itunes is a big beast but the salsa dura that was available on there 5 years ago compared to today is a different world. Not saying it is perfect but there are songs I wanted 5 years ago and could not get but that I recently checked for and was surprised to find, so downloaded.

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  3. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Mostly oldies?

4. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

Yes, a lot of salsa dura from the 70s

DJ Yuca likes this.