How do you acquire music?

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by DJ Yuca, Feb 20, 2017.

1. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

I still buy CDs for the most part. And occasional vinyl. I listen to the physical CDs at home and in the car but I will still copy to my computer and iPod.

I rarely download but I do purchase downloads from CD Baby now and then to support independent artists. I avoid iTunes as much as possible.

If I need to learn music for a gig that is on youtube I will stream it while playing along and practicing. I do not download or rip music illegally at all any more ( not to say I have not been guilty of that in the past ). I know how difficult it is for musicians to survive in this digital age and how much effort goes into a production.

MAMBO_CEC and DJ Yuca like this.
  2. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

I was amazed to find out recently how much, ahem, proper salsa is available on itunes compared to ~ 5 years ago. They actually have a relatively good selection of salsa dura and mambo.

A lot of albums / songs are now available on itunes that were discussed as not being available by some of the now, non postings salsa djs from ~ 7 years ago, and are now available.

Sure, itunes is a big beast but the salsa dura that was available on there 5 years ago compared to today is a different world. Not saying it is perfect but there are songs I wanted 5 years ago and could not get but that I recently checked for and was surprised to find, so downloaded.

Groove On and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  3. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Mostly oldies?

4. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

Yes, a lot of salsa dura from the 70s

DJ Yuca likes this.
  5. El Caobo

El Caobo Maestro 'Salsa' Palmieri

For an original recording into mp3, 320 kbps is very good. However, you have to buy it from legitimate / reputable sources. If someone creates a cd from low quality mp3 files, let's say 120 kbps, and later someone else burns it at 320 kbps, the quality is still poor. Increasing the kbps of a low quality file does not improve it.

It takes me very little time of listening to a dj in order to tell what the collection is like. I wish that more casual listeners would pay more attention and have a greater appreciation for quality. Then, a lot of djs would find themselves out of business. I do believe that many casual listeners intuitively know when the music "isn't right."

matty likes this.
  6. Hanginon

Hanginon Changui

Sound Quality - as a DJ, one of my favorite subjects. From my own personal experience -

The #1 thing is how the song was produced. The "recording engineer", or if a garage band, the kid with his hands on the gain control, is paramount. I've got 128kbs mp3's that smoke wav's, simply because they were recorded better and edited better. The killer has been the so-called "loudness wars" that started in the 1990's, and has resulted in so much compressed, flat sounding music. Take any new popular song, any format, open it in Audacity, turn on the clipping indicator, and look at the mass of red.

IMHO, I think the recording engineer's also try for a distinctive sound, that may not always be the best. I swear El Gran Combo, all these years, through all their changes, has been recorded with an "overly polite" brass section.

If you have a really good master, than what? The wav, flac, mp3 argument. Like many DJ's, I settled on 320kbs mp3's years ago. Storage still wasn't cheap, and they worked with all the software. If I was starting out today, I'd probably choose flac - just to be safe. However, I personally cannot tell the difference between a well recorded wav, and a properly ripped 320kbs mp3, when played on my DJ rig - which is not just two 15" tops on sticks. To get a "properly ripped mp3" I prefer do it myself from a CD source, using a current version of the LAME encoder. If I don't have a CD, it's usually an Amazon mp3 download.

7. Groove On

Groove On Sonero

I agree about iTunes, their Salsa y Tropical content has expanded greatly in the past 3-4 years. It was pretty sparse a few years ago but it's worth a look today. Perhaps it took awhile for the surviving labels to convert their old libraries and jump on board?

But it might be important if you are using iTunes US vs iTunes Europe vs. iTunes in Central or South America, the offerings may be very different.

Normally I collect music by listening to playlists on Spotify and then buy the songs off iTunes (US) or look elsewhere if it's not there. And I love Spotify because of the crazy playlists. I'm constantly finding gems that I could never have found any other way.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  8. afincao

afincao Son

This is an awesome thread and it's great that you're actually seeking WAV FILES!! I HATE the quality of mp3s. An awesome site that hasn't taken off much in the Latin industry is Bandcamp. They don't even allow you to upload MP3s, which is awesome! Check out some of our music at https://afincao.bandcamp.com/album/prep-rate . If you wouldn't mind letting me know what you think of some of the tracks, that'd be awesome. I always like hearing from a DJ perspective and trying to learn and grow as an artist!

DJ Yuca likes this.
  9. afincao

afincao Son

I'm always willing to send our music to DJ's, we just all have to work together!! Bands are nothing without DJ's and DJ's would have nothing to play if it weren't for bands!

10. afincao

afincao Son

How do you usually go about searching for playlists? I'm always curious what methods people use to browse and find stuff.

11. afincao

afincao Son

Amen to that!

12. We love Afincao in Cincinnati. Looking forward to hearing you all tonight.

And in terms of how I acquire music? Google play mostly. CD's from amazon or CD baby. When I travel I'll hit up the indie record stores in the small hopes that I'll come across something which mostly is no. Some times I get lucky. And I have a couple of DJ buddies that pass music on to me as well.

afincao likes this.
  13. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

$5 a month, and you get access for everything on iTunes.

I am a FLAC-Snob, but I noticed I didn't care much about it when it came to Salsa products.

14. afincao

afincao Son

Thanks for the shout out! I wish we had known you were there to watch us, I would've definitely hooked you up with a CD! We'll be back out there 7/27!

TurqoiseHexagon likes this.