Hot in Havana (Lo más pega'o en La Habana)

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, Jul 15, 2015.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

Both Álvarezes are known for son not timba, and Issac is very smooth and can go either way :) Manolito also has a lot of son in his music but his piano is probably too "timba" for strict salsa fans. Also epsecially now there is a lot of R&B influence Manolito's the singers, whihc might also not go over well with salseros.

Marcos and Dissonant Harmony like this.
  2. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

Missing my dance nights in Cuba (it's been two weeks since I left) and to alleviate this I've been listening to a radio station I found on TuneIn.com -- Salsamania Radio Musica Cubana. It has a good selection and once an hour they run through the top 10 most popular songs in Havana, and having just returned from there, I found their list to be really accurate, so I recommend this station to those who want to keep up to date with what's popular in Cuba, and for overall timba listening. Just heard a really nice song I wasn't familiar with, Cuentale by Manolito Simonet y Su Trabuco.

Salsa has been the main music I listen to for the past 6-7 years, but the more timba I Iisten to, the more it has become the dominant music I prefer to listen to and the more boring I find salsa to be, and the more I skip the salsa tracks on my phone and select the timba ones :troll: (This doesn't refer to dance music preferences, just to my personal listening preferences--still love dancing to salsa music :) )

3. Marcos

Marcos Son Montuno

I'm Puertorican so I listened to a heck of a lot of salsa growing up, and only timba after I was an adult. Isaac is fantastic, I have 3 of his albums, they're great and they all sound different. While Adalberto's music is not timba, it's also different than what Puertoricans and Colombians play, for me it's so-so. But his brother Enrique with Charanga Latina, that's sounds like 100% timba to me, at least on Brujeria which is what I have of his.

I'm burned out on Manolito. I really loved Control and had a great time when I saw Trabuco live in Los Angeles. A few weeks after that concert I was super surprised to find out they released a new album, Trabuco Una Vez, since they didn't mention a new album was coming out at the concert, didn't sing any new songs, and they were trying to sell Control and older albums. I got it and I was really disappointed. Not only was I unmoved by the songs, but I don't get why he had Amaray sing 9 out of the 14 songs with only 2 each for Pepitin and Lazaro when they are so talented. Pepitin's tracks were weak by comparison to what he did with Maykel Blanco on Anda y Pegate. I don't understand why he gets such great talent and doesn't use it. And everything that I see on social media it's still with a lot of Amaray, which I can take in equal portions to other singers, if he were to give them a chance, which I don't trust him to do.

The one thing I give Manolito credit for is keeping the strings. I miss the violins in both Los Que Son Son and Charangon.

4. timberamayor

Have you listened to the old Manolito? I started with timba because of the Marcando la distancia CD. Granted that song got played to death, but because it is a good song. Also his piano was what hooked me immediately. I really love his older CDs, Se rompeiron los termometros, para que baile Cuba, hablando en serio (some people felt this album was too "pop" but I loved it). It was later around the time of Control & Una Vez + that I felt like he kind of lost direction and was looking for where to go. I think El Indio leaving had a big effect. Hard to find a replacement. I was surprised at how well El Noro did .

The problem I had with Control was actually just the guitar intros and the reggaetonish title track didn't do it for me :). Several of the songs came out first as radio demos without the guitar and it was added later and detracted from the songs for me. I don't know why he did it because he hasn't done it again since (thank goodness!). He was working with a Spanish promoter at the time and I often wondered if it was their influence to throw in some guitar to appeal to the Spanish musical aesthetic or pop or something. I never asked him though :)

I think Amaray has come to dominate so much because he writes a number of songs and also because he is popular with the fans. I know some people in Sweden who hate his R&B "wailing" as they call it. But it seems to me that Manolito troied several times to bring in a son style singer, like El Indio was, but they kept leaving - Pepitín started his own band for a while then went to Jóvenes Clásicos del Son and Maikel Dinza also left and started his own band. I don't know what happend with Iván. The last incarnation I saw live was in 2012 with Amaray, Mayami and Ivan. Mayami was always a lot of fun LOL.

Personally the recent stuff I've heard sounds good. the Rodriguez brothers seems to be doing well in the group. I think it's also a question of personal chemistry.

My playlist from the last concert I saw them at

Marcos and Slowdance like this.
  5. Marcos

Marcos Son Montuno

The old Manolito is great.

When I saw them it was maybe a two hour set and Pepitin sang just two songs, Marcando La Distancia and I can't remember what else. I didn't think that much of it that night because he was still new to the band, but after Una Vez Mas I added 2+2 and can't blame him for leaving when Manolito didn't give him time the spotlight. Even Mayami I felt was being underutilized. I think they went into this spiral where Manolito as a band leader might have been emotionally affected when El Indio left, so that as new singers came he thought it was a risk to give them a chance, which in failing to give them a chance he actually motivated them to quickly leave and get their chance elsewhere, further reinforcing his perception that giving the replacements a chance was a risk, and so on and so forth.

The only good tracks from Una Vez Mas are the two at the end, Quien te Mando with Noro and Llanto de Luna with David Blanco. As far as Control Muevete is my favorite having a flute intro, the guitar intro in Loco Por Tus Besos worked for me and I frankly don't remember how many other tracks had it. I agree that Control is a weak track, but overall I think it's a good album with plenty of variety.

6. timberamayor

Yeah - if they took the electric guitar and the acoustic intros etc off of the songs on Control I would have liked quite a bit. really I suppose if I just listen enough I'll get used to it and not give it another thought. But I was already used to the demo versions so it put me off. I like Muévete a lot too.