Hot in Havana (Lo más pega'o en La Habana)

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, Jul 15, 2015.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

Yes, Havana is a "what have you done for me lately?" kind of place. David Calzado once remarked how when the band tours, people want to hear the old songs, but in Cuba the fans constantly want new songs. So here is a thread where we can keep one another al día with what is hot inHhavana right now. Mots of us don't get to visit as often as we would like.

I'll start with an update from a friend of mine who got back 2 weeks ago.

1. La Gozadera - Gente D'Zona, Marc Anthony (unchallenged in first place)
    [MA is always #1 in Cuba with whatever song it happens to be at the moment]
    2. All the songs from Los 4 latest album
    [Privilegio @ Sptify : https://open.spotify.com/album/1pbwGGFnRCn3OK52xIzUGf]
    3. Desiguales - Eso es bola

In terms of salsa/timba - Havana D'Primera and El Niño y La Verdad are big.

matty, mamberito and Sabrosura like this.
  2. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

Excellent thread idea! I was thinking of starting a "Cuba" thread, though not exclusively focused on music.

Why Havana in the title as opposed to just Cuba? I found Santiago and Trinidad music venues were just as current with the hit songs as Havana, in fact probably even more so!

And lol at Marc Antony's popularity with Cubans, so true! It was the one aspect of Cuban musical preferences that I would not budge on, all the Cubans were shocked I hated MA lol, but I had no shame about it :D

3. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

This is Van Van's most popular song in Cuba currently, I heard it everywhere in both my March/April and June trips.

timberamayor likes this.
  4. timberamayor

Most of the people I know go to Havana and not so much anywhere else. If Santiago and Trinidad are "more so", then they aren't the same and we need an "oriente" thread to keep up with what's going on there. Anyway, I've only ever been to Guantanamo and then I haven't really gone anywhere but the changüí events so I can't speak to what's pega'o in Oriente. And what can I say "La Habana es La Habana" - la capital. ;) "Porque La Habana tiene su descarga, Porque La Habana tiene su cosita"

Woo hoo solo by Alexander Abreu!

There is a Cuba thread under Salseros anonymous.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  5. timberamayor

Love that song and this is truly their best CD since Chapeando IMO. Samuel says it's their best to-date. Not sure I can go that far but highly recommended.

6. timberamayor

So I'm just back from Havana now and hands-down the most popular group right now is Yomil & El Dany. Yomil left Los 4 just a few months ago and he and El Dany hit the top of the charts immediately. I don't like reggaeton, but they have a few songs that even I kind of like. Not that I'd ever ask for a DJ to play them, but it would be less tortuous to listen to them than to some other groups. (AS close as I can get to a complement LOL) Still prefer Los 4 salsa/timbaton to Yomil & El Dany though.

Here is one I kind of like

Also kind of catchy is Jacob Forever's (ex-gente d'zona) Hasta que se seque el malecón

Havana D'Primera continues to be very popular and the current video is La vuelta al mundo - more just a salsa really, but...
    And why is so much salsa video choreography so lame?

Sabrosura likes this.
  7. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

Yeah Los 4 is much better than these Yomil & El Dany dudes.

Not big on the La Vuelta al Mundo song, I like El Regalito much more :)

timberamayor likes this.
  8. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

I don't know how popular this song is in Cuba right now, but I came across it in a 2015 timba compilation and really liked it -- though I know timberamayor won't as it is more "salsa" than timba :p

Hmm, it seems that more and more timba bands are turning to the salsa sound...This might be why I am finding myself liking "timba" music more and more :D

terence likes this.
  9. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

Sabooor!
    Counting the days till I'll be surrounded by Cuban sabor again, 21 days left :)

timberamayor likes this.
  10. timberamayor

I've actually never heard the song before. Issac has always leaned towards a salsa sound in studio work, in concert he tailors things more for the fans. and Descemer isn't a timbero by any stretch of the imagination. He lived in the US for quite a while. i'd say they deliberately are trying to make music that regular salseros will like. It's about sales.

EDIT: Not to say they don't like the song themselves. Cubans like regular salsa as well. They don't discriminate the way most salseros do. Remember not to equate Cuban with timbero. they are not the same thing. Timberos don't find regular salsa very interesting it's like putting ketchup on your tortilla chips.

Sabrosura likes this.
  11. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Yep ... to me , salsa, nice song

12. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

Yep, when I was in Cuba I would occasionally play some salsa dura from my phone to dancer friends when I was telling them about the salsa music we dance to in NY, and they really liked it :)

13. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

Just back from three weeks in Havana -- there weren't quite as many awesome new songs as I've gotten used to in my prior trips, a lot of the current music that is "in fashion" right now seems to be a lot of timbaton/salsaton.

There were a couple new songs I liked a lot though:

Maykel Blanco Y Su Salsa Mayor - Afloja La Guayaba -- This one is extremely popular in Havana at the moment, it's everywhere -- what is interesting about it is that it starts out as a plain-vanilla Maykel Blanco song, but then after 2 minutes it takes you by surprise and totally changes momentum at 2:00 -- I'm not crazy about the beginning but love the energy and accents of the second part. "Corre, camina!"

Elito Revé y su Charangon, con Yomil y el Dany - Yuya -- This one is also extremely popular, and once again when it starts out it doesn't seem too exciting, but once it hits that chorus it just gets into your head and won't come out :) I found myself singing it at random moments of the day and night :) "No la dejes sola, Que se descontrola!"

I like this one much better than La Guayaba, it really builds and maintains the nice, intense tension I enjoy in salsa/timba songs -- especially the section starting at 2:30 which explodes at 3:34-3:37 and gives me a musicgasm every time :D It's really nice because it's one of the longest tension build-up sections I've ever heard in a timba song and certainly in a salsa song, where the tension building generally doesn't last more than a few seconds before the "hit" or "explosion"--but here, the tension builds for an entire minute, which makes it feel like pure ecstasy when that explosion finally hits!

Got some really good dancegasms dancing to this in Havana :D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    timberamayor likes this.
  14. timberamayor

Cool to hear they are popular in Havana too. I like both of them. MB y still on tour in Europe although it is coming to a close. Check the New timba thread for a little but of the new song with Susel from Revé. I really like the sound of what you can hear in their little promo teaser.

15. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

Update from my latest trip! (last two weeks of December)

The song that stood out to me as the "hottest" right now on Havana dance floors is Maykel Blanco's "Siempre que llueva escampa":

(learned a new slang word from it too: "papelazo" :D )

Also, "Afloja la Guayaba" is still going strong :)

16. timberamayor

Thanks for the update. Cool that they are maintaining their popularity.

17. timberamayor

Here is an interview from 23 y M on December 2016, with bits of Siempre que llueve escampa prior to the interview and Afloja a little later on. Siempre que llueve has been one of my favorite songs since the first time I heard it :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Sabrosura likes this.
  18. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¡WEPA!

Just finished my 8th trip to Cuba -- almost a month in Havana and Santiago :) And after dancing there every night, I've been going through some serious withdrawal since I left on Friday as here in Costa Rica it's all about 6 am jungle trips, instead of salsa parties till 3 am :)

Some of the songs I mentioned in my last couple of updates are still going strong, especially "Afloja La Guayaba" and "Yuya". One song that has definitely taken off and is much more popular than the last time I was there is Havana d'Primera's "Las Cosas de un Amigo". As the tempo for this one is pretty fast, I got some really good 'workouts' dancing to it :D

HdP's cover of Los Van Van's "Que Sorpresa" is also really popular on Cuban dance floors right now (it's the same song that is playing in the video I posted in the Cuban Salsa Dancing videos thread):

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  19. timberamayor

Thanks for the update. I'm surprised that Cosas de un amigo is suddenly so popular 8 years after it was released. It's a great song - don't get me wrong but it's far from new so a bit surprising it's big in the DJs' rotations. I prefer the Van van version of Sorpresa - just because I almost always prefer the original version of a song. Of course HdP does a good job - but still my heart is with Mayito & Van Van on this one. LOL there are probably young people who think it's a new song.

Any salsa in Costa Rica?

20. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

-Issac Delgado's work leans more towards the more traditional styles in general.

-Same can be said about David Alvarez:

-And Adalberto Alvarez:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017