HELP ME PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by costas, Jan 26, 2017.

1. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

There are (or were) DJs in the UK who strongly prefer salsa with English lyrics. What's worse is: I don't think the DJs even realise that's their own principal criterion for selecting tunes; and there are promoters who consider such DJs to be wonderful.

(Fortunately there are other options.)

Marcos and terence like this.
  2. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

I have been trying to gather up the "pieces" for a while, but it's only now I have the dare to just ask:

When you have time for that, could you please break down (or link me to a video you consider representative of) the basic steps for Guajira, Bolero, Danzon and Guaracha for me? I'd really appreciate any help in the matter!

---

This is what I managed to (or not to) understand so far:

Bolero & Danzon:
    Both danced 3-4-5, 7-8-1. The basic steps are structured differently: Creating different boxes, and also resulting in the breaking step of Danzon not be on the same beat as Bolero's. (I do not know the details, though).

Guaracha:
    Similar to danzon, except:
    *Has a "slurred close" at the 2nd bar of the box step. (I do not understand what "slurred" means).
    *Has "crossing action in the basic box concept". (I do not understand what this means: Is it crossing of the legs? Does the lady cross? When and how does that happen? Does Danzon not have it?)
    (Is it traditionally danced in Danzon's "time"?)

Guajira:
    Similar to Cha Cha Cha.
    *Except on 1.
    *Except 1 is a "slow" (yet you still step on count 2? I'm confused.)

3. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Bolero.. the rhythm is SQQ.. as in 12,, 3 4 .. . The Box is "open ". Commencing side and back.. repeat forward ; .many of the steps in Bolero ,are now in salsa.

Danzon.. The " square form of rumba ( Box ) . Rhythm S.. QQ

Guaracha.. "slurred " is the drawing of the free foot in front and across the standing leg on the fwd half of the box .Same rhythm as Square rumba, but, not the same music. Guaracha suits this style .

Guajira... The syncopated time is 3and 4 breaks are one 1.
    It has a forward and back basic and an open box that frequently includes a "tap" on 2 ( some tap on 3 ). Music best suited is a high speed cha cha.

The fwd and basic is also called "triple " mambo.
    I did some vids for the site way back. They are primarily basic demos of these dances, but not a lot of breakdown

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  4. Dissonant Harmony

Thanks! That was very helpful! :)
    *I found the videos and re-read your post, and it makes sense now!

5. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

One thing I forgot to add in Guajira; the triple is often danced in place, and if travelled, very compact .

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  6. Dissonant Harmony

I actually prefer it that way! :D