HELP ME PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by costas, Jan 26, 2017.

1. costas

costas Changui

hello guys! i just want to ask and give me some advices....i have this old well known songs for more salsa people i think in my library and im just wondering should i play them in nowadays as a salsa dj?
    1.merecumbe
    2.para que volver-eddie maldonado
    3.abre que voy salsa cubana
    4.aisha-africando
    5.bloque 53-la palomilla
    6.feo pero sabroso-louie ramirez
    7.fruko y sus tesos-el preso
    8.soledad-la33
    9.locos por mi habana
    10.sonando el tambor-orq clandeskina
    11.vente negra-la nova
    12.yo no se manana-luis enrique

MAMBO_CEC likes this.
  2. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

Great list....throw in a few cha cha chas and some mambo and you will be the best thing since sliced bread in my venue!!:D:dancingbanana:

3. salsamaniac4ever

salsamaniac4ever Son Montuno

Most of the songs are good, but for some reason I don't like to play them. Here my comments on each one of them:
    1. Nice, but no
    2. It's an ok tune. Although I only play it when requested (once by Super Mario) or at the beginning of a party
    3. Nope (But only because I don't play cubana)
    4. Don't like the song
    5. Max. once every 2 month
    6. Haven't played this song for ages. Maybe it's time to do it though
    7. Not my cup of tea
    8. Not my favorite either
    9. See no. 3
    10. I have to listen to the compete song later
    11. Actually a nice song but I can't listen to it anymore. Totally overplayed
    12. I'm sorry but this one made it on my "Don't play it" list :p

So overall it's a typical popular song selection but for some reason it doesn't excite me. But thats just my personal opinion. And as you can see by the answer of @MAMBO_CEC there are will be lot of dancers who will love it. At the end of the day you have to play the song and see how the crowd reacts.

DJ Yuca likes this.
  4. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

There's some great tunes there but he has done the right thing in asking for feedback, because I think in pretty much 99% of salsa venues in the world, Yo no sé mañana has been completely old hat for at least a couple of years. Ditto Abre que voy, and that wasn't even a decent tune in the 1st place. I say avoid both at all costs. Aicha and Locos por mi habana probably the same.

The fact that some titles/names of artists are wrong suggests these may not be legit downloads - if so I say don't play any as the audio quality is probably wack. If the tune is worth playing then it's worth buying imo.

5. DJ Yuca

Maybe in CEC's backyard those tunes never got rinsed to death, but everywhere else they were so they should be avoided at all costs! Even if a few people like them, others will have their night ruined and never return.

MAMBO_CEC and salsamaniac4ever like this.
  6. DJ Yuca

El preso is a good tune but it's fast and overplayed - only play if you have a lot of nostalgic Colombians present.

7. costas

costas Changui

thanks dj yuca and all of you for your help!

DJ Yuca likes this.
  8. DJ Yuca

Which version of Merecumbe do you have? If it's the J Colón then it's a classic. I really like the Eddie Maldonado track too.

9. salsamaniac4ever

salsamaniac4ever Son Montuno

I guess you like the Maldonado track because it's jumping the clave, right :p?

DJ Yuca likes this.
  10. costas

costas Changui

can you guys say to me some good web pages to download salsa music in a good quality? or to buy the songs or albums...except amazon cuz i already use it

11. costas

costas Changui

yeah i have the j.colons version....i prefer it to say the truth:)

12. MAMBO_CEC

I based my reply purely on a nightclub perspective. At my main local venue the Century Ballroom the crowd is a Latino/Gringo mix, we get Cubans, Mexicans, Colombians etc al, so the DJ has to cater for all tastes, they always want to hear the 'Classics'. Now on the other hand, if I went to Mambo Pica Pica or LVG I would not expect to hear most of the tunes on Costas's playlist. Maybe Costas can tell us a bit more about his venue and what and where he hopes to DJ, socials or nightclubs?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    DJ Yuca likes this.
  13. DJ Yuca

Fair enough. Even at the cheesiest of nights I'd be wary of going too far with the cheese (and I have DJed at plenty of cheesy nights) but if such tunes would work at a venue you know in 2017 then that's valid.

14. costas

costas Changui

let me tell you some informations guys about me if you dont mind..... First im a bigginner DJ im not professional yet but im dancing salsa for more than 5years now and i believe that i know some stuff about salsa music...i read a lot of your forums about how to be a good salsa dj etc....im from cyprus its a small island actually near greece...we are small community in salsa and the people what i see from my experience doesnt want to hear so much classic salsa 70s 80s or cuban.....(we have a lot to learn about salsa as a community anyway) most of them they are LA style dancers and they prefer more energetic salsa songs...i say that cuz in most of the parties in my country when a dj put salsa romantica or a classic salsa song or cuban they only dance 7-8 couples...if they put songs like la gripe,dame cinco, tehy are all on stage

15. costas

costas Changui

1: Por culpa De Ella ( Dj El Timba)
    2: Rumba Caliente (Latin Sound Machine)
    3: Obatala (Yemaja Y Shangò)
    4: Montuno Street (Azabache)
    5: Estamo En salsa (Wayne Gorbea)
    6: Anacaona ( Cheo Feliciano)
    7: Se Formò la Rumbatela (Javier Vazquez)
    8: El Errante Bajado ( Frankie Hernandez Y su Impacto Crea)
    9: Los Queros (Andy Harlow)
    10: Sabroso Guaguanco ( Louie Ramirez)
    11: Llego Sho Good ( Dj Barbosa)
    12: Sera (Orquesta La Cospiracion)
    13: Bailando El Guaguanco ( Luis Felipe Y la Super Banda)
    14: Soy Dichoso ( Ray Barreto)
    15 :Ban Ban Quere (Ray Barreto)
    16 : Llora Come Llore (Avenida B)
    17: Salsa De Guaguancò ( Principe Y su Sexteto)
    18: Dinora (Andy Harlow)
    19: Mucho Guaguanco (Orquesta Salsa Caliente)
    this is some songs that i want to play in salsa party but i dont know how the people gonna react......:((

mlemonl and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  16. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

I wish our local DJs would ask for such feedback and submit playlists like Costas has! :) Such a positive step and your dancers will benefit from it.

I like LA style salsa but agree on leaving out Yo No Se Mañana (mush!) and I'd replace Africando's Aisha version with Son Fo.

Note: I am not a DJ!

17. MAMBO_CEC

Awesome tracks......uff, apart from the computer generated #1 and #11, only problem they are 99.9% Guaguanco, as a Mambo dancer that would be heaven, but as you say you're playing for an LA style crowd, they like the fast tracks, also as much as I like Guaguanco, I also like a bit of variety, some Mambo, Son montuno, Cha Cha Cha, Guajira,Son et al. As a DJ is not all about what you like. You need to vary it a bit. @Dissonant Harmony had a great post about his stint as a DJ. You should read that, maybe you can apply that to your musical choices. Good luck with your DJ career.

18. DJ Yuca

Specifically in: subgenres/rhythms, countries in which the music is made, tempi, song length, eras in which the tunes are from, and instrumentation. Also between known and unknown (within the wider salsa world), however the vast majority of tunes should be known to a certain extent.

LA is used as a generic term for on 1 slot style - I suspect the fondness for slower tunes is more reflective of a scene in its infancy. As dancers get better, even those with no passion for the music they dance to realise that slower tunes are better for dancing. Here the DJ can educate their audience (although there's a fine line between educating an audience and ignoring it. The latter is a no no needless to say.)

Also if on 2 ever catches on (even if only with a handful of dancers) those dancers will be enthusiastic about salsa dura and mambo. If they're considered better dancers, then even those who dislike such music will be happier, because the 'better dancers' are present and dancing.

lidiap likes this.
  19. costas

costas Changui

can somebody explain to me more simple these genres? guaguanco, dura,son montuno,charanga,timba and others that i dont know?i have a lot of music and i dont know exactly when im listening a song what is it? is it salsa dura or timba or guaguanco.....how can i understand it? i search them in google but i didnt understand nothing at all:) and i think this very important to all salsa djs especially for bigginers as i am....i want to listen a salsa song and understand what im listening too....so when i learn this i can play with my songs more easy and change the tempo when the crowd wants it...but if i dont know how can i do that? just play a well known song or classic song and thats it? this is not a dj at all

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  20. MAMBO_CEC

Here are some songs from the different genres you mentioned, you can find all of them on Youtube:
    Listen to them and see if you spot the differences between the great list you posted above (The Guaguanco one) and these songs:

Arroz con habichuelas - El gran Combo (Son Montuno)
    Ran Kan Kan- Tito Puente (Mambo)
    Somos Familla- Calle Real (Timba)
    Marieta- Ibrahim Ferrer (Son)
    El Bodeguero- Orquesta Aragon (Cha Cha Cha)

Mirame de frente- Ray Barretto (Salsa Dura)
    Son del los queros- Sonora Carruseles (Salsa Dura de Colombia)
    Salsa Dura- La Excelencia (Salsa dura)

Abrele camino al Son-Orquesta Broadway (charanga)

mlemonl and DJ Yuca like this.