Havana D'Primera Europe and US tours

Discussion in 'Event Announcements and Ads' started by timberamayor, Apr 13, 2013.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

They had a great concert last night for their UK debut and will be in Europe through May 5th, then heading to the US May 18th for 12 concerts.
    Video from last night and link to concert dates below.

http://www.timba.com/tours/havana-d-primera

matty and groovetpt like this.
  2. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

timberamayor likes this.
  3. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

So be careful and don't injure yourself in the meantime. And be sure to talk with Alexander if you get the chance.

4. groovetpt

Yeah, like we say in show biz... "break a leg"... no, wait, wrong choice of words... Ha!

timberamayor likes this.
  5. Isasalsera

Isasalsera Changui

London and Paris were sold out. Apparently the concerts were great. This Saturday we're going to the HDP concert in Antwerp, Belgium.

6. groovetpt

It's official: I'm snakebit when it comes to Hd'P in New York. I just got booked for gigs on June 5 and 6. :mad:

Are the Timba gods angry with me?

7. groovetpt

Earlier this morning, at about 4:00 am as I was leaving a gig, the last song played by the DJ was a cover, a very bad vocal cover, of Pasaporte. It was aweful. Who is covering this tune?

8. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

No idea. Lots of groups in Peru cover songs as son as they get popular, but I doubt the DJs in the US have a lot of Peruvian cover bands in their collection.

groovetpt likes this.
  9. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

I knew something like that would happen. You're simply going to have to take a vacation if you ever wnat to see them live. Head over to Europe for the festivals, although they are here right now so you are already missing them. Me too sadly.

10. groovetpt

That makes sense. The gig was mostly a Peruvian and Colombian crowd. I was playing with a Peruvian Salsero and an ex Grupo Niche singer in Queens, in a neighborhood that is not really part of the US :D

Smejmoon likes this.
  11. groovetpt

I am still hopeful -- maybe they'll pick up another late night gig at a club in Queens while they're in town. SOB's shows are early, like 9-11 pm.

Yes, a vacation in Europe to attend summer festivals... dreaming of that winning lottery ticket...

12. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

13. groovetpt

Yeah, the Timba gods heard my cry and moved my Wednesday gig to Tuesday, so I was able to catch the show last night at SOBs. What an incredible experience. Of course, being SOBs, the concert was plagued with sound problems, but not matter -- it was ON. I mean, it was ON. Alexander and band are something else. The mix was a bit muddy and Alexander's wireless mic was not working properly, nor were his in-ear monitors apparently, but you come to expect that sort of thing at SOBs. Eventually he grabbed one of the corista mics and that worked well. Why can't SOBs get their sound reinforcement act together? How many years has this been going on? I mean, c'mon. I played at the Copa Tuesday night and the live sound / mix was pristine -- like a CD is playing.

Speaking of the Copacabana, I like the way they do Pasaporte live now, starting off by quoting the Barry Manilow song... very clever.

I only wish Alexander played some trumpet solos... and God bless his lead trumpet player... man, that cat works hard and never misses a note.

Anyway, it was awesome music and energy and now I can check one item off my bucket list. So glad I made the show. ¡Vaya, Alexander!

Oh, I should mention that Barbaro Fines y Mayimbe opened the show. Good band. A lot of Peruanos came out to see them.

timberamayor likes this.
  14. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

Mayimbe packed their opening show in San Francisco with 950 people even though Havana D'Primera was playing the same night! Chim pum...Callao!

Apparently HdP went Jazz at the Santa Cruz concert. Here's a little snippet from a conversation I had with Kevin. So sad to say you missed some Alexander solos but at least you saw the band finally. I am so glad you enjoyed it. I too wonder why SOBs doesn't do something. Even here in Sweden we have heard that the sound isn't great and some people just skip concert that are held there. Anyway, from Kevin...

groovetpt likes this.
  15. groovetpt

Oh man! I would have died to hear him play that tune. Beautiful. Arturo Sandoval recorded it with Irakere back in the late 70's and I wore that cassette out! ( yeah, that was the days of cassette tapes and boomboxes ). Here's the youtube of Irakere playing Claudia.

Was awesome just to see the band and as I've said before I love Alexander's vocals as much as his trumpet playing... but I thought it a bit surprising that he didn't play any jazz trumpet at all... I mean, c'mon, this is New Yawk! :D Well, it was a party crowd and Mayimbe already had them pumped up and it was almost midnight, so maybe some slow mellow jazz was not the right thing.

16. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

I think we will be seeing more of the jazz side of HdP later this year and in 2014.
    EDIT: Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will upload some video that isn't iPhone audio :)

groovetpt likes this.
  17. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

groovetpt likes this.
  18. groovetpt

Cool. Hope to make the May 19 show ( ticket prices are a bit steep, though ).

timberamayor likes this.
  19. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

Yeah in dollars it seems a lot, then I translate it to SEK and it seems like a normal price :)

20. groovetpt

hmmmm...
    " normal " for sobs is in the 20-35 dollar range. Never seen $55 there before. Not that they're not worth it but last time I saw HdP there it was $30. Too bad I'm not playing the early Friday night Salsa slot that night ( I actually do that fairly often ) then I could hang out all night.