Getting dizzy when spotting?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by I_love_salsa, Sep 16, 2010.

1. I_love_salsa

I_love_salsa Banned

2. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

I don't have this problem, but maybe this will help.

In car racing, they always taught us that your body will take you where your eyes do. That means: you spot, move your head, then your body.

3. azzey

azzey El Sabroso de Conguero

Doing it slowly? The idea of spotting is to minimise the movement of the fluid in the ear cannal by turning your head quickly and focusing on one point in space. e.g. your partner (as long as he doesn't move that is).

The range of motion of the kneck is slightly less than 180 degrees, so if your body is not turning fast enough you may not be able to complete the spot without making your head move at two different speeds.

The upshot of this is basically when doing spins on the spot to focus on your leader until the absolute last moment you can before turning your head and re-focusing the spot.

This has more info and pictures..

ballroomdancers.com/Learning_Center/Lesson/2/Default.asp?page=5

Exercises:

- Spot straight ahead. Stand on the spot with feet together. Step left/right/left/right and rotate your body slowly around 360 degrees. All the time keeping your head spotting on the same point, until you can't anymore because you've reached the limit of your kneck. Now quickly snap your head around and try to spot back to the same point as before.

Realise how much your body will need to turn while you are snapping the head around for you to actually complete a full spot.

Continue to shuffle your feet and body around another 180 degrees back to the original starting point. Try this in both directions.

- Do left and right basic salsa turns (pivots - i.e. stepping, not spinning) and spot twice. Spot once straight ahead and again 180 degrees opposite.

This is like the salsa version of walking down your kitchen (facing ahead) then deciding to turn around 180 degrees and go the other way, then oh no, changing your mind again and going back the original way. Spotting is something you often do naturally when you make quick changes of direction with your body.

In salsa if you're doing slow pivot turns you're obviously going to have to concentrate on spotting because it's not so natural (your head is more likely to naturally turn slowly either with your body or focus on something randomly of interest).

4. Caroline

Caroline Son Montuno

Hmm... I'm not sure about this bit. I think straining to look back until the very last moment can affect your balance. I find it better to whip my head round once my body is facing 90 degrees into the turn so slightly earlier than the above post suggests. Not saying I'm right, but that's just what I've found. It seems to make the turn sharper.

5. azzey

In a normal right-turn, the lady would step forward (say north) on 5, pivot and step with her right foot facing 180 degrees (south) and body facing 90 degrees from north. While doing this she would still be facing her partner. i.e. spotting on him. until she continues the turn/spin.

So what we both say is true.

If your prep was a twist though, it would be different.

6. Caroline

Caroline Son Montuno

Oh, okay, I thought we were talking spinning.

7. lolita

If I am facing my partner (north) and I prep, my body is at a 45 to 60 degrees west, but my eyes are still 0 degrees north, when it's time to turn, I'll re-face north where my eyes are still are, and then my head would snap 90 degrees east south where my body will follow, then another 90 degrees west north and my body will follow.

8. kerry.alder

kerry.alder Sonero

I know some people naturally get dizzy a lot easier than others. If you are one of those people who have a natural predisposition to get dizzy, you should talk to your pharmacist. They have medications that help alleviate the dizzy, seasickness feeling and now it comes in a non-drowsy form too.

9. azzey

Drugs to help you spin better. Cool. I used to get car sick a lot (as a passenger) before I started driving, so that'd be me.

10. azzey

I would never suggest to strain yourself, particularly your kneck or you will be in for trouble. Straining would probably cause some bend in posture as well, so apart from the potential for injury there would be other negative effects.

Begin and end the spot at a comfortable position relative to your body turning.

We are talking spinning. There are different ways to prep. Stepped (pivot) as well as twisting.

11. azzey

Interesting that you double spot on spins. Do you touch down with your free foot at both spot points or only one?

I've tried it but prefer single spotting on spins and only double spotting on pivot turns.

12. lolita

I don't touch down on the second spot, unless I initiated it incorrectly and I am about to lose my balance.

I tried single spotting, and I found that I get distracted a little and accordingly my spins turn out to be not as sharp.

13. noobster

noobster Pattern Police

Nice. I love the look of the double spot but I've never managed to figure it out for myself. I'm awful at spotting to start with and the single spot is about all I can manage.

Also I need my spot for momentum after the second spin, seems like a double spot wouldn't be effective for that.

14. lolita

I think it's more effective than single spotting, because your head is really ahead of you and since it weighs a lot, you don't have to worry about it.

15. lolita

What I meant was, your hands will steer the wheel and feet will press on the accelerator to take them where their eyes are fixed on

16. azzey

Deep inside your ears are some special cavities filled with fluid. Inside these cavities are sensitive little hairs attached to nerve cells. Any movement of your head makes the fluid slosh around. That bends the little hairs and the nerve cells tell your brain about the movement.

When you spin around there's a short time lag between the head moving and the fluid moving in your ear; So you feel that you are spinning. When your head stops the fluid keeps spinning for a while, which makes you feel like you are still moving.

Dizziness is when your brain is getting conflicting signals. The nerve cells are telling your brain you're spinning and your eyes are telling your brain you are not.

During a car ride your body is in constant motion. So is the fluid in your ear. If you stare at a book, the book and the words on the book do not move. Your eyes are telling your brain that you are in a non-moving environment, which conflicts with what it's being told by your inner ear.

The conflict tells our brain something is wrong because our brain doesn't have a clear signal of what is moving. Our brain translates this confusion into a command to stop eating or to regurgitate food we ate that might have been bad (which would also give us a similar feeling). Which is why we feel sick.

While you're spinning things are usually ok. I can do multiple spins without spotting. It's when you stop you get the problems because the fluid keeps spinning. The more you spin the more the fluid spins. The more you are dizzy when you stop.

Spotting works by limiting the dizziness to a shorter period of time, because your head is often stationery when spotting and the fluid has time to stop moving. Which is also why I keep talking about moving the head quickly. It's finding the right speed for you. Not too fast (sudden acceleration spins the fluid more than slower movement), not too slow (fluid always in motion).

Try to increase the amount of time your head is still when you spot and re-spot.

Spotting also helps because when you're moving your head you can't focus properly on an object. Focusing helps give your brain other information about where it is, whether it's in motion etc. When your head stops moving your eyes can focus again on something.

Your ability to spot and focus while spinning improves with practice.

17. noobster

noobster Pattern Police

Doesn't your body catch up with your head twice per rotation instead of once? Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

18. azzey

Yeah because what you did was the opposite of spotting. If you look left then right quickly, each time your head moves you add inertia to the fluid in your inner ear.

Instead look left quickly and pause for 1 second, then look right and pause for 1 second, left etc. You should find that works better because your head is stationery more of the time. Which is like spotting.