For some weird reason I feel a Bachata beat on this song.....

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by granrey, May 1, 2017.

1. granrey

granrey Son Montuno

For some reason this pop/rock feels like a fast bachata between 16secs and 35 secs. Just curious if anyone feels it too.

2. Marcos

Marcos Son Montuno

I don't feel Bachata at all. It is on 4 beats to a bar rhythm like Bachata is.

There's certain parts of the song that the drummer uses a striking pattern that is also used in a variety of Latin genres, but his choice of drums in the pattern is different than how I've heard that same pattern in those Latin genres. I'm not musically trained, but I would describe it as 3 evenly spaced strikes with an evenly spaced pause , followed by another set of 3 evenly spaced strikes and an evenly spaced pause; then followed by 7 evenly spaced strikes with an evenly spaced pause. This sort of pattern exists in Plena, Reggaeton, and a number of other Latin genres but to reiterate the drum types are different and which of the strikes are accentuated is different.

3. canei

canei Son Montuno

Nope. There is no bongo + scratch percusion playing quavers. No bass playing on the 1,3,4 beats. No second guitar, no lead guitar playing 12312312 arpeggios. Absolutely nothing that is required to make a bachata a bachata. The kick drum briefly plays the 1,2.5, 4 rhythm found in many genres over the carribean (its essentially the 3 part of the clave repeated without the 2 part) so maybe that's what you're recognising.... but definitely not bachata