Facebook group?

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by KCSalsawannabe, Jan 20, 2008.

1. UnlikelySalsero

UnlikelySalsero Rhythm Deputy

That's one of the things I really like about FB. So many people I know from the bulletin boards, but I never know their real name, and haven't seen them in person.

At least in FB I learn their name, and sometimes have a chance to recognize them.

Of course, now my friends list is long enough I can't track most people, but I'm still impressed with all the salsa friends I have found.

I just added myself to the group. If you're in the group and not already one of my "friends", please add me.

2. La Bailarina Nueva

La Bailarina Nueva Son Montuno

Just added you :)

3. UnlikelySalsero

UnlikelySalsero Rhythm Deputy

I just accepted you!

A perfect example. I don't know if I ever knew your real name. If I had, seeing it again, along with your photos makes it easier to recognize you in the future when our paths cross on the dance floor.

I certainly didn't know you have two kids, one very young. While none of that makes a direct difference on the floor, it's nice to know a little more about people I see while dancing.

(You and I are in different scenes, but I suspect our paths will cross at some event in the future.)

For me, it's nice to have the background on people.

Of course, most use a handle (fake name) in these forums and many don't use a photo, so identifying someone I know on the wires isn't even possible unless they tell me who they are...

FB can be a pain, but I think it's worth it overall.

4. DeeplyDippy

DeeplyDippy Pattern Police

5. kmcr80

kmcr80 Changui

I'll definitely join

6. La Bailarina Nueva

La Bailarina Nueva Son Montuno

I hope so!

7. DeeplyDippy

DeeplyDippy Pattern Police

8. I'm In... sweet!!!

9. spencer

spencer Descarga

absolutely love facebook!! :) cant get enough!! lol

10. amanda

amanda Changui

Little busy now days but will join that group on facebook soon.

11. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

I just joined the group. :p

12. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

I know exactly what you mean. I spend a good amount of time deleting posts like the one described. It gets irritating when, so called promoters, don´t even bother to list their potential market into geographical classification. So, here I am, a hardcore salsa fanatic to the core, sitting in the city of Cali, the World Salsa Capital, while getting invitations to dance anything from salsa to bachata, reggeatton, etc. in say, Norway...:confused:

It seems that the majority of "salsa" promoters are as clueless about proper promoting as they are about the musical genre they are cluelessly trying to make money from.......:rolleyes:

13. justinmartin

justinmartin Changui

i would love to join and support this group,lol..would be cool having one like this on FB...cz i to am addicted to facebook..lol

14. I just joined as well!

15. chrisk

chrisk Super Moderator Staff Member

Important Update: Facebook has changed the format of groups and therefor the Salsaforums.com group had to be re-created. If you want to join it, then follow this link:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_115314875219026&ap=1

16. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

i would say "meow"....except i totally agree with you, Ara, lol. speaking as a formerly guilty party, ahem... :p though i dont mind people promoting large international congresses internationally, do promoters really think someone with thousands of salsa friends who lives in london is going to come to their beginners' course in randomtinymarkettown, germany.

just yesterday i started ruthlessly 'unfriending' the worst offenders... ;)

17. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

LOL! I guess it gets to us all except to the guilty parties who do not take the time to filter their market segments. I understand that people can make such mistakes in the beginning or once in a while, but some of these people are consistent "offenders".

Of course, international events and dance holiday promotions are acceptable as for them the whole world is a market.

I would not call them these people promoters. Instead I would refer to most of them as opportunists, because they act like DESPERATE opportunists.

Well, if we get invited to salsa classes/clubs on the same continent, then we are lucky. I get invited to bachata classes on other continents.:eek:

This just shows a lot of unprofessionalism from people, specially when my location appears under my profile name, as well as of course in my profile. I also go out of my way to give out my location in my public messages, such as birthday messages and thank yous for friend adds and requests.

There is a certain "promoter" who always comes on my profile page and posts invitations to his club nights in the US. Usually twice, as he promotes his nights from two differnet FB accounts. I have politely responded to him by saying that I live Cali, Colombia, but he keeps inviting me.

That can work. ;):)

18. chrisk

chrisk Super Moderator Staff Member

Important Update: The old Salsaforums.com group has now been removed and archived by Facebook. Therefor any old members of the previous group have been lost in the move to set up a new group as Facebook didn't provide an upgrade option at the time that I took care of the transition. So, if you want to be part of the new group, then please follow this link:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_115314875219026&ap=1

19. EMOYENO

EMOYENO Pattern Police

got it !!!!

20. flow

flow Changui