DJ equip.

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by terence, Sep 11, 2017.

1. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

I just purchased 2 mixer leads from Gear4Music in York. They were the wrong fit so I called and offered to return same. They offered to send me 2 replacements FREE and keep the ones they sent.
    Just thought they needed some props. Great selection of stuff and prompt service .
    I was a new customer .

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  2. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

Glad it worked for you.

I just bought an Allen & Heath ZED 14 Mixer and some great speakers but I need a new controller. Any controller's you recommend?

3. terence

My suppliers are you UK based .
    By the way, after all of that, it was another problem ( I have 2 backup systems so , not concerned )

4. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

I got a Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 recently. So far I'm very pleased with it, and I've used it for quite a lot of gigs. Mostly salsa (so no mixing) however I have done one Latin party with lots of mixing, plus lots of mixing at home in preparation, and it works pretty well for those purposes imo (I don't know if that's a consideration for you). It comes with Serato DJ Intro and despite doing a lot with it, I haven't felt any need to upgrade to full Serato.

5. DJ Yuca

I have an Allen and Heath mixer too btw - they are superb. But now I have the controller I don't actually need it for DJing (except for a salsa gig I do in which an instructor gives me CDs to play in the lessons. And I use it at home for listening to vinyls.)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  6. DJ Yuca

7. Hanginon

Hanginon Changui

You really should first decide what software you would like to use before investing in a controller, because not everything works with each other. There are free versions of most that will work at home with a mouse - Virtual DJ Home, Mixvibes Cross Free, MIXXX (which is actually open source), and Traktor (which will run in demo mode for 30 minutes). Serato DJ Intro will work in "analysis" mode without a controller, and the full Serato DJ (which I think runs in demo mode for 14 days) - but these two are hardest to do with just a mouse.

They all have their own idiosyncrasies. For example, IMHO Serato has excellent library management, but suffers from not having a dedicated song preview, and so on.
    Once you decide which software you like, then get a compatible controller.

8. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

Do you know of any dj software that when you change the speed of a song it remembers that speed change for future uses?

9. DJ Yuca

No but you can use a free programme like Audacity to change the pitch, save it as a file (e.g. Despacito + 3%) and put it into your software. Then it's there whenever you want it, plus you have the original as well (unless you prefer to delete it).

10. DJ Yuca

That makes sense, but doing it the other way around worked better for me. I only found one controller I was happy with so I had to use the software that comes with it. (In this case, Serato Intro - I hated it at first but now I have no problems with it, and I've done a lot of mixing - not salsa - with it.)

11. Hanginon

Hanginon Changui

Like DJ Yuca, I also have versions of songs (prepared previously) that are 5% or 10% slower than the original.

When you slow the Tempo, but keep the same Pitch, you are doing "time stretching". As already mentioned, you can use Audacity, but I've found that if you try to slow the song more than 5%, the algorithm it uses starts to sound bad. I've had better luck with "BestPractice", a program originally designed for musicians, but works great for us DJ's - http://bestpractice.sourceforge.net/

DJ Yuca likes this.
  12. DJ Yuca

I've never actually edited a song by changing the pitch as I've never needed to, so your advice is worth more than mine, although I have edited songs in other ways e.g. Timbalaye with the end chopped off. (I only change the pitch of songs if I'm mixing, in which case I do it live.)

13. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

I don't know how you guys manage without changing speed. I think I go through a set and change speed on every single song keeping it roughly between 88 to 100 bpm for salsa. I have a solution but I'm looking for something a little more professional.

14. DJ Yuca

Why on earth would you feel the need to change the speed of every tune? I understand certain tunes are too fast for general salsa tastes so you may want to slow them down (although personally I don't bother - either they're worth playing or they're not). But every song?

(Unless you're mixing - as we're discussing salsa I assume that isn't the case.)

15. terence

essentially, I pre listen to a program I have selected and notate the songs that will compliment each other, and I will have several options when playing live .

I categorise them into Med, med fast and fast . and to some degree by genre .

16. Hanginon

Hanginon Changui

I play for an older crowd - lots of Salsa Dura - and I usually do not change the tempo of songs, with the exception of songs like a lot of Cruz's (i.e. Caramelo). What kind of a crowd you play for that feel you need to change almost everything?

I've got everything categorized by genre and use that to build crates before the gig. After two or three Salsa's, it's usually a Cha Cha, Cumbia, or Bachata. Then I will deliberately put in a slow song or Bolero - especially if the nights young and I want to keep them going all night long. Longer sets including Latin Club (Proyecto Uno's Latinos) happen later. We're talking 60 to 75 year old couples I could run into the ground - I sometimes think I should add a defibrillator and oxygen to my equipment!!

Nice conversation!

17. DJ Yuca

I'd love to play to an audience like that. I've never had the opportunity to play a bolero in my life, unfortunately. Opportunities to play cumbias are rare but not unknown.

18. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

Very mixed crowd. Different age groups, different skill levels, different cultural backgrounds and folks that like bachata, merengue, cha cha, salsa dura, salsa romantica and latin jazz.

19. DJ Yuca

I still don't understand why you adjust the speed of every tune you play.
    Firstly, aren't the vast majority of salsa tunes between 88 and 100 already, without any adjustment?

Also by not playing slower and faster tracks, you're denying the better dancers the opportunity to enjoy the full use of their abilities. Admittedly fast songs are not so important/pleasant, but for better dancers occasional great songs that are slower than 88 are very enjoyable. Why reduce that experience by speeding them up?

terence likes this.
  20. DJ Yuca

Correction: you can use a free programme like Audacity to change the speed without changing the pitch . . .