Difference between salsa and timba?

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by El Conguero, Jul 30, 2010.

1. afincao

afincao Son

Listen to Sergio George, Junito Davila, and Lisandro Arias

2. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

This was exactly the same experience I had when I started salsa in Manchester (England). The Djs also played everything, so as a dancer you were exposed to all genres....This was an awesome thread!!!

wol and timberamayor like this.
  3. delaflota

delaflota Changui

There is absolutely no difference! You can call everything salsa. Salsa songs from different groups have also their own ID but its all salsa.
    Timba is only a cuban name for Salsa because the cuban musicians were long time rejecting to use the name salsa for their kind of music and have invented the name timba instead just to be a more identical name for cuban "salsa" and also for trading mark reasons.

4. Smejmoon

Smejmoon Clave Commander

Welcome to the Salsa Forums!

5. Smejmoon

Smejmoon Clave Commander

By the way, what do you think of this song? :)

El Caobo likes this.
  6. El Caobo

El Caobo Maestro 'Fania' Pacheco

One very discernible difference was that timba bands along with other percussion instruments had the same full battery of drums that r&b and rock groups use, while salsa bands use only congas, bongos and/or timbales. This was my initial observation of the difference between salsa and timba. The drumset produces a sound that sounds a bit "busy," for fans of traditional salsa and especially those who usually dance to traditional salsa. This is why I personally did not prefer most timba.

Another difference might be in the style of vocal delivery. Some timba seems to have reggaeton-ish vocals; which resembles the unsuccessful attempt to popularize salsaton.

Other than those differences, which might not be all of them, and might not always be the case since I have not done any exhaustive research of study on the matter, I can't express any other differences.

7. El Caobo

I've been playing a few of their songs and I love their sound. I don't consider it to be timba, but is it?

8. Smejmoon

Smejmoon Clave Commander

Well.. .technically it's probably jazz. But for dancer it mixes timba and mambo influences.

9. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

The acoustics are terrible !!.. pity

10. timberamayor

timberamayor El Sabroso de Conguero

It's not timba to me. the closest thing is at about 3:10 when they do like a breakdown and the percussion drops out leaving the piano as a bridge into the coro. But other than that it's very son-like and the piano doesn't play any interesting tumbao just standard - no special gears other than the piano breakdown. Not saying it's a bad song, although I personally ave never like xylophones or vibraphone or whatever, just that I wouldn't class this as timba.

El Caobo likes this.
  11. El Caobo

Timberamayor in my opinion is THE authority on timba, IMHO, in these forums. She agrees that that song is not timba. I didn't think so, but could not say for sure. I only know that I like it quite a bit!

12. timberamayor

LOL, well that in itself is a strong indication it's not timba ;)

13. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Welcome to the forum delaflota.

The above is blatantly disingenuous. Yes timba has eventually become absorbed into the term salsa, but at the same time the differences between timba and salsa are far wider than the differences between any of the different artists in salsa or the different subgenres within salsa. In fact many - I suspect most - timba fans don't like salsa and many - I suspect most - salsa fans don't like timba. There are specific and vast musical differences between the 2. (At the same time both do come from son and many fans of one also like the other.)

Do you have a source for this or have you just made it up? More likely the musicians/fans called it timba because it was a new genre so it needed a new name. I really doubt that anyone in Cuba in 1990 would have considered calling the new music salsa.

14. timberamayor

I think the origin of the use of the term timba is more something that just grew out of the common usage in rumba. When people talk about it, timba means the part of the song where the people go wild. I don't know how long it has been used in rumba but I think the whole addition of the more exciting (IMO) piano riffs and especially the gears where people would dance despelote and tembleque is when they started using the term to refer to "Cuban contemporary popular dance music" as timba. And you see the younger generation today referring to salsaton/timbaton as timba because to them that is the exciting stuff that makes them go wild, whereas what I consider timba is less exciting to them.

And then we Yumas got ahold of the term and really made it a more established term outside the island specifically meaning
    "Cuban contemporary popular dance music".

15. El Caobo

Perhaps!

16. salsim

salsim Nuevo Ritmo

if im not mistaken la Timba started in the late 80s or early 90s... Timba is the modern sound of Cuban music (Cuban contemporary popular dance music), but yes Son Montuno, Guaracha, Guaguanco, Mambo, etc, are also part of Timba

best regards all

to me this is a classic Timba from the 1950s

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  17. timberamayor

La Timba is also a neighborhood in Havana, which I believe is what they are referring to in salsims song above. Some of you no doubt are familiar with Pupy's autobiographical song De La Timba A Pogolotti. Pupy is originally from La Timba neighborhood - well you can listen to the lyrics.

salsim likes this.
  18. salsim

salsim Nuevo Ritmo

hehehe.... esta La Timba sabrosa gozando su Guaguanco, i also believe that they are refering to Pupy's neighborhood, also musicians began using the term Timba before El Tosco used it in the late 80s or early 90s

best regards

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  19. timberamayor

It has long been a term used in rumba. The lyrics to De la timba a pogolotti also say that the music is una liga de mi son con rumba. IMO the contribution of rumba to timba music is very important even if it isn't always obvious. Young Cubans today refer to what we would call timbaton as timba. :(

20. Papi

Papi Changui

As Timbera has explained in many ways already on this forum, there is a wealth of "features" that Timba has, but many of these concepts are simply hard to hear for a beginner for whom music is (structurally/texturally) still simply a wall of sound. Gears, unique tumbaos, rock instrumentation... sure, but you need a bit of experience to understand, analyze, and then intuitively absorb it.

I can offer an (warning!) EXTREMELY simplified guideline for beginners: when in a song the ever-present constant drum pattern stops, but the intensity of the song does not drop (in fact, it goes up), you are listening to a timba song! (specifically, its "presion" (pressure) - part, which is extremely rare in salsa romantica or dura). This is not to say that every timba song will have it, but most modern ones do.

Textbook example: @2:39 of Maykel Blanco's Son Esos.

Hope it helps,
    Jan