Dancing with latinas who are untrained

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by isaacjunk, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

Why? You could dance on1 real, on 2 real or on 3 real! :D

This reminds me last year in Italy I was dancing with a lady from the DR and the first time I danced salsa with her felt pretty bad. Off time, CBL was not happening, steps all over the place...exactly what you would not expect from a DR latina. I then saw her dance bachata and I she was fantastic. I asked her again for salsa and I told her that she was a very good dancer. She told me she was just learning linear salsa and she was not very good at it. I told her to just do 123 on the spot and not to worry about lines and spins. Result? Fantastic! Followed everything I tossed at her! And with great body action! Yes there is such a thing as real salsa.:p

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Salsaurus Mex likes this.
  2. vit

vit Clave Commander

Yeah, but my "real salsa" is not yet perfected, so I would like to warn her
    But I'm working hard on that, thanks to latinamericansalsa thread

LarsM likes this.
  3. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

That"s the spirit, that's the spirit! I will try to serve you some more videos! :)

4. vit

vit Clave Commander

On one of my first salsa socials back in 2008 (not counting occasional basic level salsa that we danced on BR socials before that) I danced with 2 girls. One was local and other was a tourist from Guatemala. Dances worked "reasonably well", considering I wasn't a part of salsa scene nor I attended any salsa classes by then. And, local girl said to me - you are a beginner, aren't you ? Other girl (actually she asked me for a dance) was quite satisfied with me and said that I'm very good dancer ... so I don't know ... maybe I actually started with real salsa and then it somehow deteriorated ...:)

azzey and Live2dance like this.
  5. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

Give them a 20 minute lecture on why they should take ballroom classes :troll:

Live2dance likes this.
  6. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

:dancingbanana::dancingbanana::dancingbanana::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thumbs up!!! That is what most linear salsa teachers do, but the problem is they don't even know BR!!!! :D

7. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

I think it probably reached a climax when that lady told you that you are doing BR samba!!!:):D

8. Offbeat

Offbeat El Sabroso de Conguero

You can't just term something as a real salsa. Because if you do, the question becomes what is non-real salsa (i.e. what are you excluding). The elements make a dance authentic is always a matter of debate. That applies not only to salsa but almost any dance form (or art form). Therefore this real vs unreal, is a very dangerous strawmanish argument.

Style is of course a matter of preference and distinct but related element. Two styles can clash. But if one of the partners can adapt their style to the other's you can still have a 'real' dance. You can argue whether certain element is part of the general concept of salsa dance (or any other dance). But if enough people dance a similar style, you can't say one is more real than the other. You can say one is more modern than the other. Or one is more traditional than the other (and you prefer traditional). Or one is more geographically specific that the other. Etc. But you can't say this particular style makes dance real and that particular style makes it unreal. You are opening a can of worms where only the those with half bake information fight over what is real and not real.

elanimal and Richie Blondet like this.
  9. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

Am fully with you! But when "someone" says that the Latin Americans are doing cumbia, merengue or son or whatever while that "someone" is doing salsa then I expect an equal reaction because I can easily say that that "someone" is doing BR while the Latin Americans are doing salsa. I hope am clear!

matty likes this.
  10. Marcos

Marcos Son

Live2dance, Offbeat,

Don't place us Latinamericans on a dancing pedestal. While we have a greater cultural proclivity towards dancing than other parts of the world, that doesn't translate to "every Latino dances well", or even to "every Latino dances".

Maybe I need to frame this within a non dancing reference. I was talking to somebody a few years back and they asked me where I was from. I said, "Puerto Rico", they replied "You don't look like a Puertorican", I responded "You don't look like Barrack Obama" (who was president at the time). The point I was trying to make with my response is that Latinamerica is a very diverse part of the world with multiple ethnic and racial groups just like the United States is, we don't all look alike.

And finally you don't know the ethnicity of the posters in this forum, so it's quite possible that the, ""someone" says that the Latin Americans are doing" is also a Latino, possibly of the same nationality as the poorly following Latina they experienced that only knew how to dance with herself.

11. Marcos

Marcos Son

Live2dance, Offbeat,

Don't place us Latinamericans on a dancing pedestal. While we have a greater cultural proclivity towards dancing than other parts of the world, that doesn't translate to "every Latino dances well", or even to "every Latino dances".

Maybe I need to frame this within a non dancing reference. I was talking to somebody a few years back and they asked me where I was from. I said, "Puerto Rico", they replied "You don't look like a Puertorican", I responded "You don't look like Barrack Obama" (who was president at the time). The point I was trying to make with my response is that Latinamerica is a very diverse part of the world with multiple ethnic and racial groups just like the United States is, we don't all look alike.

And finally you don't know the ethnicity of the posters in this forum, so it's quite possible that the, ""someone" says that the Latin Americans are doing" is also a Latino, possibly of the same nationality as the poorly following Latina they experienced that only knew how to dance with herself.

akdancer, vit and Live2dance like this.
  12. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

Point taken Marcos. My point is simply that some people keep on repeating that they are dancing salsa while Lain Americans are dancing something else. This is not the case. Latin Americans are dancing salsa but they dance it in a different way (or ways).

13. vit

vit Clave Commander

Nope, I included slight bounce much later, after I started dancing salsa on2 and liked the way how some salsa celebrities do that (if the song calls for it)

14. Groove On

Groove On Son Montuno

I think the best way to approach any un-trained Latina is to let their natural body movement come out and follow that movement. Once you're in that zone you can see where it will lead (ha ha, yes pun intended).

... and it works for trained follows too!

15. Offbeat

I don't know why you addressed that to me, because I am making the same point that you are. Though in more dancing terms.

16. Offbeat

But only if there natural body movement is matching the rhythm and beat of the music. I have danced with enough trained and un-trained followers whose natural body movement is like holding a sack of potatoes that you never know which way it would tumble!

And it leads to wanting to dump that sack right there and run away :D

wol, Marcos and vit like this.
  17. Marcos

Marcos Son

There's no dance police. A person during a salsa song could do a crunk dance, troika dance, of the Filipino stick dance if they so wished. And in these cases it would be factually correct to say they were dancing to Oscar D'Leon. But are they dancing a style of dance that's associated with that music, of course not! So it's one thing to state, "the person was dancing to a salsa song", and another to say, "the person was dancing salsa".

Surely there are some instances of specific dances associated with specific music styles, such that the dance style and music style have the same name. This is the case for Waltz, Vals, Tango, Merengue, Bachata, Danza, Danzon, and I would argue for Salsa as well. Therefore it could be possible to say "the person wasn't dancing XXXX" (insert whichever of the above dances), they were dancing YYYY (insert another of the above dances); and be factually correct.

A latina who is unexposed to dancing salsa is no different or special to a Japanese beginner, but unlike Japanese beginners I've had the experience with Latinas where they tried doing another dance they knew to a salsa song. They're moving, often on beat, rarely doing that basic thing of salsa dancing called following. Yes, I know there is more than a single style of salsa, but there are common threads among them, the basics are shared, even if they're shifted on Cocolo and On2 styles.

isaacjunk and Dissonant Harmony like this.
  18. Marcos

Marcos Son

Offbeat, I was more referring to your earlier post in which you were discussing "real" vs "non-real" salsa.

I went to a competition in which a couple was dancing On1 NY/LA style. In order to differentiate themselves they didn't play a salsa song, they played an 80s Michael Jackson song, and dressed in attire that blended in with something you would've seen in an 80s music video. They did a few moves not associated with salsa, but it was >90% On1 NY/LA. I remember they didn't win, but IMO it was the most interesting of the couples that night. I would argue they were dancing salsa to Michael Jackson; and that by the same token that a couple can dance salsa to Michael Jackson, another couple could dance something else to a salsa song.

19. Offbeat

Only reason I made up the "real" vs "non-real" salsa illustration, was because I found the very concept of labeling something as a "real" salsa to be absurd. In that context.

LarsM and vit like this.
  20. Del Dominguez

Del Dominguez Changui

Ya, just dance their dance. It's not about right or wrong it's about the individual experience with the person in front of you. I bet anything, most will be happy with right turns and basic cross bodies...