Dancing in Socks!

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by peachexploration, Mar 17, 2005.

1. peachexploration

peachexploration Maestro 'Timbalero' Puente

I was just a website reading instructions for the first class and notice that they only required you to wear socks instead of the normal dance shoes. :shock: I know that you can do that easily on polished wooden floor. But isn't that somehow bad for your feet and ankles? Or are you subject to more injuries with shoes on? [/url]

2. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

I suppose dancing in socks is safer than dancing wearing rubber-soled shoes... :roll:

The advice I usually see is to wear non-rubber (leather or hard plastic) soled shoes. Personally, I haven't come across any teachers who say "just wear socks".

3. peachexploration

Yeah, agree with you there. I know this one aspiring Salsero who did that(wore socks) just for fun one day and couldn't dance because he was too busy sliding all over the place. :roll:

Me either. Just seems odd that an establishment would even suggest it. :?

Marcos likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel Sonero

Mayne they just want to preserve the floor! :lol:

5. peachexploration

You're probably right, Raluca. :lol: After they get enough paying students, they probably won't require that anymore. They can probably afford the cleaning by then. :lol:

6. kabalevsky

kabalevsky Changui

Well, I'm from the Midwest and our instructors do suggest to wear socks for first timer. It's just cheaper (for students like myself) and easier to spin. I danced with socks for about 2 years before I actually bought myself a real pair of dance shoes!

7. peachexploration

Hi Kabalevsky. Welcome to Salsa Forums! Happy to have you here. :D After dancing in sock for all that time, did you have any difficulty dancing in your shoes at all?

8. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight Changui

I can't imagine dancing in socks. Mind you I'm a girlie so everything's much easier for me when I'm doing it in heels!

9. jimedoc

jimedoc Sonero

I agree with you Ms_Sunlight, i just can't dance without heels

10. salsadame

salsadame Changui

hi there..

i've to say that i found dancin in socks easy when i first started (gettin the right kind of socks will play a part in makin you slide less.. or somehow i feel.) it's a totally different thing when you dance with proper shoes / heels.

on hindsight.. i'd advise beginners to start with proper shoes / heels. cuz it's practical. you ain't goin to dance in socks in the clubs. i felt as if i had to relearn how to do the basic right turn all over again when i put on my heels (when i first started). it takes alot of getting used to. plus.. if you are on heels.. you definately will not be able to 'cheat' on balance cuz the ladies will have to always use the ball of their feet to do all the turns.. and travellin turns. :)

11. nicelau

nicelau Son

i've danced in heels ever since my first lesson...
    after a year or so i went to cuba and went to dancing completely in bare foot. now i never look back - i prefer not to dance in heels which end up destroying my feet by the end of the night but invested in dance sneakers instead, which still allow for spinning etc.
    i only wear heels now if i'm dressing up for an event. dancing without heels gives you more of a chance to accent your dancing by dancing on the balls of your feet when you see fit or sinking down when you feel it in the music.

Marisha likes this.
  12. kabalevsky

kabalevsky Changui

Thank you for your warm welcome. Yes I did find it difficult to dance with shoes after dancing with socks for so long. I find it difficult to balance on heels when we do the balancing exercise where you bent and lift one foot.

13. peachexploration

Yeah, I tend to go for a little wider heel myself because of that reason. The skinnier the heel, the more apt I am to fall on my tukas. :lol:

14. Guarachero

Guarachero Guest

Dancing on socks

That's good!

When I am at home I dance on my socks (on hardwood floor). It is fun.
    But, friends, keep in mind that way back when, Cha Cha Chá experts recommended extremely soft shoes th do Chá.

I think it was explicitly said in

"Peleter por favor ven acá
    que quiero los zapatos
    pa' bailar el Cha Cha Chá"

Marcos likes this.
  15. Marisha

Marisha Son Montuno

I also love practice on my socks at home. The first time it was difficult, I was sliding. But now, I am a champion:D. It helped me a lot; I improved my balance, my feet feel better the surface. I understand how to transfer weight better when I work with new moves. Barefoot is also beneficial and enjoyable....:rolleyes:

Smejmoon and Dissonant Harmony like this.
  16. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

Socks are FUN!!! :)

Marisha likes this.