Dancing in Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by lolita, Aug 4, 2009.

1. bas

bas Rhythm Deputy

I had planned to drop by as well but alas, I too wasn't feeling well. Guess it has got something to do with the weather.

But, there is always next time!

I'm glad to hear you had a good time.

2. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

It's my turn to ask for updates on the Amsterdam scene. I'll be there on 27-30 December (Mon-Thu) - it's a bit early to ask, but I may not have much time to get online in December, so there. Is GuyDC still DJing on Thursday nights? Will there be much dancing between Christmas and New Year? I'm also thinking about staying in Amsterdam on Thurs 13 Jan, the night before I fly to Edinburgh for the Scottish Congress.

3. bas

bas Rhythm Deputy

Guy has moved to the baltics and afaik doesn't plan to come back. I don't know if there are any parties planned for that period (although I assume there are) but will look into it if redsalsero doesn't reply first :)

4. redsalsero

redsalsero Sonero

well thnx bas :).
    i noticed mac moto's post long time ago. but there was no planning available.
    there are no big party's between 27 and 30 dec.
    there are a few i can recommend. but some not in amsterdam.

monday 27 dec vyssotski @ amersfoort has a great athmosphere always busy and hot:)
    monday 27 perron3a @haarlem. have to be a bit lucky to get busy can be fun. but cant really write a review for this one.

teusday 28 dec not much to do.

wednesday 29 dec think kroon @ rembrandtplein in amsterdam will still be running it has been since summer every week. very fun but very busy also.

thursday 30 .perron 3 @ haarlem.
    jan van galen @ jan van galen straat;) have never been here but i hear theres good space to dance.

5. GRx

GRx Sonero

I'm back in AMS next week. Please recommend places to dance Monday to Wednesday. Thanks.

6. redsalsero

redsalsero Sonero

monday theres absolutely nothing to do ;)
    wednesday some salsa at a place called bejaard its just next to the famous cantinero.
    its a restaurant cafe thing and pretty small so dont expect much but u might be lucky and some good dancers will be there. its @ marie heinekenplein
    wednesday salsa @ kroon... Rembrandtplein

7. GRx

GRx Sonero

Hey Red

Did you mean Tuesday? Is the place
    http://www.salsa-amsterdam.nl/Locations/De+Beiaard

And when u said next to Cantinero did you mean right in the same plaza? I recall going there 2 years ago it was in a little plaza.

Thanks for all the info.

8. redsalsero

redsalsero Sonero

oops a lil too late but yes.
    hope you could find it :)

9. GRx

GRx Sonero

Found it. Walked by it today after checking out the Heineken Brewery. We will head out there shortly if the rain stops. Thanks for the info.

10. Offbeat

Offbeat El Sabroso de Conguero

I will be arriving in Amsterdam on 9th Sunday morning if all goes well. Will leave either on Thursday or Friday, not yet sure.

Any options on Sunday night? And Wed or Thursday night?

I am guessing Tuesday night is the best option.

Is it easy to get around using public transport, especially coming back late in night?

I will be staying at Hotel Okura, which on Ferdinand Bolstraat. How far are the salsa venues from this Hotel?

Thanks!

11. Francisco

Francisco Sonero

Sunday

Amsterdam 20:00 uur Latin Circus La Salsa
    Amsterdam 20:00 uur Concert Wereldmuziek Partyboot Lizboa
    Amsterdam 21:00 uur Vrijdansen/Freedancing Zouklovers
    Amsterdam 21:00 uur La Salsa Crown Party La Salsa
    Amsterdam 21:30 uur Salsa Bailar Dansschool Oostveen
    Amsterdam 22:00 uur Fiesta Cubana Badcuyp, Centrum voor Muziek

Tuesday

Amsterdam 20:00 uur Salsa Social Extremos
    Amsterdam 23:00 uur Fly to Rep Dominicana Punto Latino

Wednesday

Amsterdam 21:00 uur La Salsa Crown Party Royal Cafe de Kroon
    Amsterdam 21:00 uur La Salsa Crown Party La Salsa
    Amsterdam 23:00 uur Salsa/Latin music Club Candela
    Amsterdam 23:00 uur Disfrutalo Punto Latino

http://salsa.latinnet.nl/agenda.php

if you are still in holland thursday go to haarlem, there is a salsa party at the train station, great location, good dancers, good music and no entree fee..

12. MacMoto

On Sunday there's this event at De Kroon:
    http://www.lasalsa.nl/Salsa%20Party.html

Redsalsero may be a better person to tell you if it's good or not... if it's good, I might have a look myself :)

The same venue also has salsa on Wednesdays. De Kroon is at Rembrandtplein 11, which is fairly central.

No idea about Thursdays.

I find Amsterdam good for walking around. Your hotel, though very nice, is located away from centre... it took me about 3/4 hour to walk from there to centraal station. From the hotel to De Beiaard (near the "Heineken Experience") is about 15 minutes. De Kroon at Rembrandtplein is about half an hour's walk from the hotel.

If you don't fancy walking, trams run till a little after midnight. There's a stop near the Okura, served by no. 12 and 25. I think no. 12 stops near the Heineken Experience. No. 25 has a stop at Muntplein, from which Rembrandtplein is a short walk.

13. MacMoto

Ha ha Francisco, we posted at the same time...

When I asked people about Punto Latino, they all told me that it's just a latin club with lots of reggaeton.

Yeah Haarlem is definitely a good option. It's inside the station on platform 3a so very convenient for getting there and back from Amsterdam. The art deco venue is absolutely fantastic and well worth a look, and I found the music quite nice.

14. redsalsero

redsalsero Sonero

hello offbeat.

I am guessing Tuesday night is the best option.
    actually no but thats just my opinion

Is it easy to get around using public transport, especially coming back late in night?
    very easy use this tool

www.ov9292 .nl

dont use the english version thats no good.
    just learn a couple dutch words :D
    i have searched for you its very easy to get nightbuses but they are expensive you get 1 hour tickets for 4 euro's and if you get lost you just need to reach central station from there you can go anywhere within amsterdam

I will be staying at Hotel Okura, which on Ferdinand Bolstraat. How far are the salsa venues from this Hotel?
    not far cant say exactly.

Sunday Latin circus at kroon is a good option im guessing alot of people will be there i myself have been there every wednesday and its jam packed so if you can stand a sauna then you might like it. this sunday there are 4 areas open main: salsa 2nd: bachata/merengue/soca 3th: r'nb hiphop CLUB....underground you have zouk. + it cost 15 euro's wich im not sure its worth it. presale is still 10.

monday no salsa.

Teusday they have a place @ leidseplein called jazzcafe alto google it every tuesday a band conjunto amsterdam is playing salsa dura really really nice. no dancing however just drink a beer and relax. and then go to dance @ bejaard if you still want to its walking distance 20 min oh and they start playing from 22.00 its free only the drinks arent

Teusday salsa @ cafe bejaard @ marie heinekenplein. transportation is a bit difficult there thats why i dont go there. however you can walk and go sightseeing there its nice.

wednesday theres salsa @ kroon like i said jampacked and a sauna however theres another option at walking distance cafe stigter: ceintuurbaan 342 but only beginners there and very nice people if your a social guy its great there.

thursday eetcafe de keet @ H.J.E. Wenckebachweg 11 min walk to metro station spaklerweg you can stay till midnight i heard its a nice place. before to catch the last metro at spaklerweg 00:29

Or thursday @ haarlem station wich is quite far but if your lucky its fun :)

so if your planning to go to one of these. i suggest you plan really good.
    via googlemaps and the link i gave you above its 98 % accurate.

15. redsalsero

redsalsero Sonero

btw im slowly thinking of becoming a amsterdam tourist guide i think im becoming a expert hahaha

+ i forgot to say guys please share your experiences here so in future others that come to amsterdam know.

16. Francisco

Francisco Sonero

haha that happens :D

I hear different thing about that club... from good salsa place to don't go there... haven't been there so decided to put up for offbeat...

I've been tot jazzcafe alto... really nice band... but as you said no dancing (no room to swing a cat by it's tail)... that's why I didn't put it up... but in combination with beijaard it could be nice... maybe try it myself next time :D

17. Offbeat

Thanks Francisco, MacMoto and RedSalsero. I think I should print this out for handy reference and then ask the Hotel Concierge for the directions. I don't mind walking.

Thursday evening I am completely free. My flight out of Amsterdam Airport is at 7am on Friday morning. So how far is Haarlem - when does the dancing start and end ? I don't mind going straight to Airport from dancing :D

18. Francisco

Francisco Sonero

it's from 20:30 until 24:00

according to NS.nl you have to take the train in Amsterdam Central on platform 2b in the direction of Haarlem at 20:14 and you will arrive at haarlem station on platform 8... a train ticket will cost you € 7,40 (coming and going)...

if you see a short latino guy with close cropped hair and glasses who is trying to dance salsa... come say hello :D

19. Offbeat

Already in Amsterdam.

So anyone going out today? So Sunday Latin circus at kroon is the best option?

20. MacMoto

And if you stay till the end you can still catch the 0:16 or 0:44 back to Amsterdam, so you don't have to worry about getting back after the night ;)

I would have liked to have a look but I'll be in London that night :(

Looks like you've been unlucky with the weather... but then, it's Holland :roll:

Yes I think De Kroon's the best option. I'm thinking about it...