Dancing a whole song without spins..

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Offbeat, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

Can you or have you danced entire song without leading in-place outside or inside turn/spins? A traveling turn or ending move with a turn is okay.

Only applies to linear/slot style leaders.

2. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Rhythm Deputy

Never. I have, however, shined for an entire song. Not sure if I would try not leading any spins for an entire song.. would have to be with a very specific partner who won't hate me afterward.

3. dav7802

dav7802 Changui

Maybe when first beginning. Doing the basic and a bunch of cross body leads. But that was in class as the basic right turn for a girl is taught very soon. So it would be basic, cross body, and right turns a lot when I first started.

4. Winston

Winston Descarga

Never (except in dance class situations, which don't count). But now I'm trying to do it. It's a nice challenge to make a dance great without spins.
    Will there be enough (variety of) moves, also with a reduced amount of traveling turns?

5. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

Can you define it a bit more precisely? Does single underarm turn (for instance after CBL) count here? CBL inside / outside turn ? Enchufla version in linear salsa ? Etc ...

6. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

Yes. When we are talking.

7. dav7802

dav7802 Changui

Is a cross body lead considered a turn? You are technically facing one direction and by the end of the move have to turn 180 degrees to face the opposite direction. lol:rofl:

8. Offbeat

CBL with inside/outside turn is okay. Underarm turn after CBL is not.

9. Offbeat

I was going to further challenge that leaders try dancing without leading turns and spins (to put it in other words without a move that starts with underarm turns or multiple speech spins) with:

1. A dance partner that is not a regular practice partner, significant other, or forgiving dance friend. Someone neutral. Could be one of the followers you often ask to dance during socials or party. Could be someone you have good chemistry with.

2. Don't warn the follower about what you are planning to lead or not lead. You shouldn't biased the follower beforehand.

Tell us how the experience felt. I often think in the linear/slot we often use the underarm turns and spins as a crutch or fillers ( similar to umm or ahh when we talk). Taking that tool away forces you to think differently. It also makes you realize how dependent and second nature it is to us.

I have tried it a few times for about 75% of the dance. May be I had done a full song because the lady had her arm in a sling, but am not sure.

10. Offbeat

Shining the entire song would not meet the critters.

Interesting question to resolve would be the partner would really notice or hate you afterwards :)

11. Offbeat

That would be a variation of challenge for those leaders who are experienced. Dance entire song with only those three moves. Variations of basic steps are okay. You can use shines but don't go overboard with 50% or more of the dance with shines. For this one you can choose any follower you wish. Make it musical :). Try it !

12. Offbeat

Yes, if you get creative :) or rather think of all tools (moves) you have and if you need to modify them.

13. MrR

MrR Son Montuno

Only pure line dances count. Hard one, but yes.
    For once, with beginners who are very insecure in turning but got a nice basic step. I have met a handful of which I could actually do that and have a nice connection and thus some fun. It's relaxing when done with the right partner.

Second are the make out dances. While I do not actually kiss on the dance floor, there is a high erotic tension which would be destroyed by spinning. So especially for very slow songs I can actually want to stick to nothing above 180° turn.
    But this needs a high level of connection, which I only achieve with follows who really let me into their intimate space (not necessarily sexually).
    I think only few of these dances count, as in many cases, while danced to Salsa music, too many parts of the dance were closer to Bachata or Zouk.

And last - most important but not a clear count - a first dance with one of the best follows I have ever met.
    I asked her randomly on a small party, never seen her before nor seen her dancing, when a very slow song started. We had a great connection. Her basic moves were perfect, how she managed to fill the time with movement and stillness, how she managed to fill a song, that usually would be boring due to lack of happenings and the song simply did not ask for anything faster. There was nothing higher than a half turn. Even a basic right turn would have destroyed the feeling!
    While we were slowly moving back and forth, the tension circled between us without ever leaving the controlled area. A masterpiece of a dance.
    But at some point I felt her wanting to show me, what she actually is capable of - nowadays I know that she is member of some very superficial and prestigious On2 circles where showing off is everything. So we did a quick series of 3-6 times turns, I spun a few times and back to the connected dance. So if you cut out those - awful - 10-20 seconds, the dance would count.
    And it is one of the most emotional dances of this year!

Live2dance likes this.
  14. Winston

Winston Descarga

Now I remember a few times with beginners yes. 100% without turns or spins. Those were really boring, after a while. In class it doesn't matter, but it seems I'm trying to show of little at a party.

Last week I did a dance on purpose with very few turns and spins with a more advanced lady with whom I have good chemistry. Let's say around 65% of the time I didn't do turns or spins.
    The last time I danced with her she complained of too much turn patterns, so I wanted to takes things slower and I wasn't warmed up yet.
    The music was good to do such a dance. Not too fasrt and there was much variation within the song, with breaks, slow/low energy parts/breakdowns.

I did basic and side steps, but in circles with the axis between us. Sometimes with small steps and sometimes normal steps Basic crossbody leads, the standard, long and change of each other's place. Walk arounds, walking/travelling crossbody leads in circles and once in while 180's.

It went well, and we both enjoyed the dance.

15. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Yep.. Quality not quantity

16. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

ANYtime one changes direction it's a "turn ".. It's a matter of degrees .

Smejmoon likes this.
  17. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

Ok. In that case, dancing WCS using basic moves would meet your criteria. However, as I came from salsa, I was used to put in some number of moves we called sugar tuck (sugar push + tuck turn) that would violate it, so I would need to dance (WCS) without it. It's probably doable in salsa as well, although I never danced salsa without using underarm turns as well, and I know that a number of girls from the venue would hate me for trying that ...

18. Offbeat

Yes, WCS lends itself well for this type of dance flow due to sugar push. You can fall back on sugar push and there are so many different timing variations you can introduce in the basic sugar push.

I really wonder if they would hate you. We are only talking about cutting out two moves or four (if make a distinction between spins and on the spot turns). You still have your full arsenal of the rest of the moves at your disposal.

19. dav7802

dav7802 Changui

Yep, that is my point. :) I miss understood the original question and thought it said no turns. But it says okay to end in turn.

20. never really happened to me when I was really dancing - meaning I guess I once talked to the girl for the most the song - but I guess it does not count...