cuban salsa freestyle / improvisation

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by salsaImpro, Aug 8, 2017.

1. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

As per usual, It's about the training. There may be occasions where it has no significance ( T stance for one )

2. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

I even didn't have T-stance in mind, it's not used than much anymore ...

3. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Fortunately.

4. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

That is because men can't lead it! :)

vit likes this.
  5. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

Thank you! :)
    Do Bachata dancers mark time when they tap?

6. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

No, that's considered as double time, meaning to create a physical action with no weight change as in break on 1 tap on 2 .

7. Hey guys, I dance salsa freestyle and I am developping a method to teach it others ( using youtube videos). The reason I want to teach others is because it is so much fun to create your own moves while dancing. I am less interested to finish my moves beautifully, I am more interested in being creative on the floor ( you can see that in the video :) ). I already posted a few videos on this channels and used the freedback to improve my videos. Thanks for that guys ! This is my newest video. It would be nice to tell me what you like an do not like. It is a different approach then my previuos videos. Thanks a lot !

8. Hi guys, I have made my latest adaptations. And making instruction videos is much more difficult !!!
    Any more tips/suggestions?

9. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

I'm sorry but at what point there is a freestyle in the video? Do you dance in it at all?

salsaImpro likes this.
  10. hey yes, in this video, you learn to make choices between different options while dancing.
    that is something you need to learn in order to become a 100% freestyle dancer.
    freestyle is at 1:50
    next videos start teaching tricks

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  11. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

I don't see anything 'free' or 'style' in chaining figures one to each other.

A 'free' lead would be able to use the mechanics of leading and following in said dance to freely lead the girl to do anything.
    A 'free' dancer would be able to use such tools and knowledge to apply dynamics (or control the 'little details') to further express himself.

---

Considering the maximum level of 'creativity' your teaching deals with is...varying the combinations of basic figures one sequences...
    I think the words you are looking for is not 'freestyle', but 'variation'.

salsaImpro and HavanaCola like this.
  12. Smejmoon

Sorry, I looked, it was not there.

salsaImpro and HavanaCola like this.
  13. Smejmoon

Combinatorics?

salsaImpro likes this.
  14. HavanaCola

HavanaCola Son Montuno

gotta agree with other people
    i dont see freestyle
    variation of patterns is more accurate

salsaImpro likes this.
  15. hey thanks for all the replies. I appreciate. Indeed, in this video, it is about making choices between a limited number of options. You dance this within certain restriction so you do not have to deal with the complexity of the arms. My opinion is that it is a good way to start this way ( learning to make choices within certain restrictions) but maybe it is not ... it is a difficult one ... OR is it a good start but is the name freestyle misleading?

16. That are very nice definitions, and I fully agree. I have the mechanics ready but my experience thought that people are so used to learn figures that you have to start with that. From the figures, one need to add more and more freedom and start adding techniques. Because many people are afraid of the words mechanics when teaching salsa :)

17. nice one :)

18. hey when I have the time, I try to edit. This is an edit. Better?