CUBA

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by terence, Jul 9, 2015.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

2. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

I have eaten at the San Cristobal:) And the apartment where I stayed the last two times in Havana is one block from there :)

Glad Obama is getting to see a bit of Centro Habana, that area (around San Cristobal) has definitely not been "fixed" prior to his arrival...

3. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

I've never eaten there because my husband hates wasting money on expensive dinners LOL. Our apartment is in Centro Habana a few blocks from there. And Ia also think it's good he got into Centro Habana. San Rafael is an important street there especially with the wifi now LOL

4. Sabrosura

Lol I know what you mean, I hate wasting money on overpriced restaurants (hence why I took 12 lbs. of frozen food with me for my trip to Havana this time :D ). It's worth going there once just to try it, it's a nice place with great food (and a very "interesting" decor...), and the prices are not too high especially given the quality of the food. I also heard that it is the only paladar in Havana that has a black owner (don't know if this is true or not).

In other news, here is Trump's commentary on Raul not being there to greet Obama when he landed:

5. Sabrosura

The full press conference Obama and Raul Castro gave. This is perhaps the first time in Raul's life that he has to answer political questions from the press in public, such as about Cuba's political prisoners.

6. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

yes and he did not handle the questions well. But this is one of the important things as well that Cubans get to see a different way of relating to a leader. Looking forward to seeing Obama's address to the Cuban people today.

Sabrosura likes this.
  7. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

I didn't know they allow you to take frozen food but I doubt I'll ever pack a cooler of food. It's hard enough to not go over the weight limit for my suitcases. I like going out once in a while as well. I want to go to Melesio Grill some time because it was stared by one of the guys from Buena Fe.

8. Sabrosura

Yeah same here, but this time since I was only there for a week, it worked :D

It was GREAT! Walking around Havana Vieja seeing people eat unappealing portions of overpriced food at the restaurants and knowing we had delicious Trader Joe's entrees waiting at home :D I even took a big bag of frozen breaded shrimp as my bf loves it but Cuban shrimp is so overpriced (and spoiled half the time you order it at a restaurant) and it made for four delicious shrimp meals :)

Here is the cooler bag I took, kept the food cold for the 24 hours it took to get to Cuba (I had a long layover). I am definitely doing this again next time I go :)

http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Zone-Blend-Thermal-Tote/dp/B00314DM7K

salsera_alemana likes this.
  9. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

Thanks for the link. Did you declare the food on your customs paper?

10. Sabrosura

I did not check the box regarding whether you have "productos de origen animal or vegetal". My understanding of that question based on a similar question in US forms is that it asks about "loose/unpacked" meat/vegetables (i.e. non-sealed products, like a fish or fruits or a bunch of carrots) but that sealed/pre-packaged products are fine (and all of mine were sealed pre-packaged bags). In any case, my bag was not inspected, it's possible that if it had they would have questioned and possibly taken some of the food.

11. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

OK good to know and keep in mind. :)

12. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

Brilliant speech IMO and broadcast live to the Cuban people.
    he starts talking at around 11 minutes or so

wol, groovetpt and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  13. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

Absolutely brilliant speech. Respectful, uplifting and even Celia got a shout out ,I got goose bumps just listening to it. I am going to really miss this guy when he leaves.

groovetpt and timberamayor like this.
  14. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

That makes two of us.

timberamayor likes this.
  15. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

The game is about to begin - live. Don't miss Obama throw the first ball

Of Course! Playing Me Dicen Cuba as part of the pre-game!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  16. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

Impressed to see the Obamas take Rachel Robinson on Air Force One, and great to see her at the game.

timberamayor likes this.
  17. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador

terence and timberamayor like this.
  18. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

19. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

Speaking of McDonald's, saw an article yesterday that McDonald's is now in negotiations to open 2 restaurants in Cuba,

20. salsera_alemana

salsera_alemana Nuevo Ritmo

Very interesting article! Thanks for posting!

Except for the fact that now you have casas particulares, private restaurants, vendors in the street (i. e. a lot more food and things to buy in the street), not much seems to have changed since 1993 when I was there the last time. Some buildings and street blocks also seem to be restored and painted, which is a blessing. However, most of la Havana Vieja still seems to be crumbling and in decay, really sad. I looked at the pictures of this thread that someone here posted: http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2015/09/a-year-in-cuba/404236/#.

I was there in the período especial. There was nothing - zero - nada to buy anywhere. Most of the Cuban stores were locked up or boarded up because they had zero merchandise or food items to sell. Tourists ate at their hotels and at tourist restaurants. Tourists could also buy some Spam meat and Macaroni & Cheese at the few tourist stores but that was it. That is what we bought when we stayed with Cuban families (family of Cubans we knew in Germany) so we could "cook" something (I then travelled with a salsa girlfriend).

However, I remember that we ate quite good food, e. g. at the Bodeguita del Medio, at restaurants in Varadero and also in our tourist hotel at Playas del Este on our second trip (last-minute trip with breakfast and dinner included).

I would like to go back to Cuba but will not do that until hubby and I can go legally on our own (without an organized tour) from the US.

MAMBO_CEC likes this.