Congress/Festival Reviews

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Offbeat, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Aurel

Aurel Sonero

you mean that tiny festival with 8 workshop classes running in parallel? :D

2. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

What's the hussle? Just a little bit more paid performers than total participants in Heidelberg marathon.

3. Tres Fort

Tres Fort Son

LOL I didn't even look at the program and assumed it was small.. ABORT MISSION !

4. Sabrosura

Sabrosura Maestro 'Sonero' Lavoe

My friend who recommended it referred to it as "much smaller than Warsaw" :)

But remember, it has afternoon dancing! At Warsaw only like 1% of attendees participated in that, so you can get the "small" there at least (and 6 floors to choose from for the night parties :D )

Tres Fort likes this.
  5. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

If the afternoon dancing had been in a real room with a dance floor many more people would have attended I think. I wrote that in the questionnaire about the festival.

6. Sabrosura

But I think if it was in a room, it wouldn't have that relaxed vibe we loved so much :) Dancing in the lobby on the carpet just has a unique flavor :) And if it had been in a bigger space with more people, then it would have been just another big "night party" where you can't find anyone. Plus I loved that the limited room meant people were forced to 'dance small' ;)

Also, the carpet was way better than the salsa room floor :p

Offbeat likes this.
  7. Tomm

Tomm Tumbao

I actually liked it, a little bigger with less people walking thru would have been better, but I liked the carpet and the chairs/sofas...gave it a very relaxed feel. no pressure to perform :)

Sabrosura and Smejmoon like this.
  8. Sabrosura

So you danced in the afternoon social? Then you definitely crossed paths with several of us SFers who were there. (Did we dance?) Too bad no one knew who you were. Antisocial :p

Edit: Just looked at your photo on Whatsapp. It's not a "salsa photo" so no idea if we danced :p

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  9. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'Fania' Pacheco

Hmm I didn’t see you in the afternoons. Did you leave early? I would start after 5pm.

10. Offbeat

Fully agree. Not only the feel, but the music is also better. Is there something that happens to the same DJs in the night ? :D

Other thing I notice was number of good dancer as a percentage in the afternoon is unusually high. Also the beginners are better than average. But the best thing I like is dancing small :)

I think I got my best dancing in the afternoon. In the night I wasn’t so hungry for dancing due to full appetite of afternoon dances.

Al Israel and Sabrosura like this.
  11. Sabrosura

Hmm I thought this was mostly a follow's problem, because as a lead you have a better chance to get your follow to dance small even if she prefers to dance big?
    But (as a follow) I noticed that even when I take small steps, leads who like to take huge steps don't adjust at all and we end up 10 meters apart, unless I give up and start running after them with big steps :rolleyes:

Al Israel likes this.
  12. Sabrosura

I didn't notice much of a difference in the music, on Sunday afternoon the last hour of the afternoon social (when I got there after the workshops) was mostly romantica :rolleyes: And I thought the night music on Saturday night was quite good, for most of the DJ sets. Sunday not so good. Friday I was in the Cuban room so I don't know :p

13. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

The girl would hate you for "not leading", think that you suck and wish for this dance to be over.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Al Israel, Offbeat and Smejmoon like this.
  14. Offbeat

True, leader has more freedom to dictate when it comes to dancing small. But you can just feel that some followers are not used to dancing small. On the crowded carpet, they don'tn have an option so it makes it easier.

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  15. Offbeat

You can sense that. I agree with DH.

The good followers who have experienced will dance big or small depending on how you lead. But not all.

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  16. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

I can understand your thinking but... every ten seconds someone cut through my slot while dancing. Not fun to spend 100% of the dance thinking about avoiding sending the follow crashing into someone or flicking her hand to poke someone's eye out. I am very conscious of that kind of stuff so I enjoy lots of room to dance and then tot ravel around the room.

Dissonant Harmony and Smejmoon like this.
  17. Tomm

Tomm Tumbao

Yeah usually around 16 pm to 19 pm.. but I did no dance alot, only some bachata and some salsa with my friends.mostly sitting around and enjoiyng the crowd

18. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Shine Officer

My review of PAW Eger Wellness edition - The good, the sad, and the Uglyyyyyyy!

Disclaimer - this is not so much a review as it is my personal adventure, and I will be ranting a lot as you will see, but it is also a review so I believe the appropriate place to put this is in this thread.

This is a small festival that I guarantee none of you have ever heard of. It's a group of travelling Hungarians organizing festivals a couple of times a year across the charming country of Hungary in very scenic cities.

I was given free passes by one of the DJs playing at the festival so I invited my crush to accompany me and off we went.

Frankly, I didn't care so much about the festival as much as I cared spending time with my crush, alone.

First of all, the city of Eger in Hungary is charming, historic and gorgeous. The perfect backdrop for a festival or a romantic getaway for 2... (hint, hint, nudge, nudge...)

Anyway, the first evening was set. Me and my friend/crush/future heartbreaker explored the town the first night. I was getting quite optimistic about the weekend as we seemed to get along quite well and didn't get on each other's nerves... (yay!)

Our apartment was about a 10 minute walk from the venue, but was perfectly situated below the castle. Although one weird thing about our room was that our shower overlooked the castle wall. Anyone walking along the castle wall could look directly into our shower!! We promptly covered the window with a towel to maintain privacy.

We drank some Palinka (a kind of fruity brandy common in Hungary) at the Christmas market then started to make our way to the venue.

The venue is a wellness/spa and conference centre. The rooms were absolutely HUGE. There were at least 4 big conference rooms that could easily fit 200+ dancing people. Our pass also allowed us free entry using their spa centre. Pretty cool!

This festival had separate rooms for Cuban salsa, Kizomba, Sensual Bachata (screw you! More on why later..), and Crossbody salsa...however, the crossbody salsa room was half of the size of the others.

This festival attracts mostly Kizomberos and Cuban dancers. Those 2 rooms were consistently packed.

We started off in the Cuban salsa room (my friend was nervous about dancing and needed me to help her get rid of the pre-festival jitters...)

We had fun in the Cuban room before we ventured into the crossbody room. The room wasn't packed and was the smallest crowd out of the 4 rooms, but I didn't care since I didn't pay for this.

I knew the music would be fine because I knew the DJ and he is fantastic. The best DJ in Hungary, IMO.

My friend and I danced a few songs and I warmed her up enough for her to start dancing on her own with others.

We then went into the bachata room, which is where my night took a turn for the worse. A guy approached my friend and promptly hogged her for 5 dances in a row. Okay, whatever. I'm not that jealous. But being the stupid nice guy that I am, I waited for her to finish with him. However, when they finished, she announced that she would be going to the Cuban room with him to dance more. Okay, sure. I went back to my crossbody safe haven, not thrilled but I didn't want to spoil my friend's (or my own!) evening.

2 or so hours later, my friend returned to the crossbody room, minus sleazeball guy. She said she was dancing in the Kizomba room and met a few other friends there. No worries. Glad she was having a good time.

We danced the rest of the evening in the crossbody room and we left the party together. We both went to bed somewhat early, knowing we'd have to get up early to take workshops.

The next day....

Spent the day together in the city some more. My friend and I took some workshops together and she took a few more workshops without me. Had lunch together in the town. Then headed back to the apartment to rest for a few hours before the party. In the evening, I tried to get some sleep but I'm just tossing and turning. I'm feeling like I should make a move, but my mind just makes up excuses not to do anything.

I end up getting no sleep at all. Apparently, she did not sleep much either.

Anyway, we head back to the venue for the party. As soon as we enter, I see sleazeball guy immediately approach my friend and they start talking. He seems a bit drunk. He completely dismisses me like I'm not even there. My friend tells me she will leave her things in the crossbody room, then come back to find me later.

They head off to god knows where to dance god knows what. A few hours later, I go in search for her. I find her in the bachata room. We dance a few songs, but I can tell she's a bit pre-occupied. Her eyes are darting across the room, not really focused on our dances. It is strange since we are normally very comfortable dancing bachata together. I am not the sensual bachata guy. I hate that crap and I dance the way I feel the music, which is very musical but I maintain my distance. My friend then tells me she's going to dance Kizomba again. I head back to the crossbody room to get my confidence back up.

I'm feeling quite good about my dancing tonight. The crossbody room has much better energy this time. At one point, the organizer of the festival approaches me and tells me that he is a fan of my dancing and would like to connect with me later about an opportunity. My ego is now satisfied.

Eventually, my friend comes back into the crossbody room. She is again alone. We dance until 5am in the morning, but I am completely exhausted and can't dance any more. My friend surprisingly still has energy, but I feel physically ill and need to go home. She reluctantly goes back with me. At this point, I don't even give a f*** I'm so tired. I feel like I am going to collapse. My stamina sucks.

We get back to the apartment and I literally collapse on my bed. My friend is worried about me, but I tell her I'll be okay. I just need to sleep it off. She looks concerned, and she tells me if there's anything I need, to let her know.

I pass out, but I am a wreck and I wake up every 10 minutes to either drink water or use the toilet.

I think I slept only 2 hours that night.

I get up with breakfast already in the room (breakfast was brought to our room every morning..talk about good service!)

My friend says she wants to take some morning workshops before we head back home in the afternoon. I tell her I need to rest, but I will meet her at the venue. She agrees and leaves.

I putter around the apartment a few more hours before it's time to check out.

Once I return to the venue, I look for my friend. I look at the schedule and see that there is a sensual bachata workshop and figure that's where she'll be.

Yes, I was right. She is there. And guess who else is there? Yep. The same guy. I see that they are partnered together and not rotating. Riiiiiiight. I see that she has the biggest smile on the face. But it's the kind of smile a little girl would make when she's smitten.

"Hey, as long as she is having a good time and enjoying herself. She deserves it." I think to myself.

I'm really tired and decide to wait in the lobby for her to finish up.

She comes out and says she's ready to go. We head off towards the train station. I innocently ask her a few questions about her new friend. Yes, I'm jealous that she seemed to genuinely love dancing with him. I asked about them not rotating. She said it was his idea not to rotate since the rest of the guys weren't good. I ask her directly if she likes him, but her reply is "no" and that she likes someone else. I raise an eyebrow, "is he at the festival too?" She replies with "no". I let it go and decide not to ask any more questions.

It's a long train ride back home, but there is no awkwardness. We're both exhausted. When we finally reach the train station, we part ways. I give her a quick peck on the cheek as I take my leave of her.

That's basically it. Not much of a review. More like a personal diary :D

Okay, positives...

+I impressed the organizer with my social dancing ability that he approached me directly to tell me about it. I contacted him a few days later and he asked me to teach at the next festival. I am still debating whether I should do it, but I think it would be a good experience.

+ Venue was beautiful. Big and spacious. Music (in the crossbody room) was more than adequate.

As for other rooms and other dance styles... Who gives a s***....

+The city of Eger is gorgeous.

Negatives...

-I'm still single...

I'm a bit mad at myself for not making a move, but my ego was a bit crushed seeing her giddy with some other guy she just met.

As soon as I came home, I had to meet with my best friend for some immediate therapy. Otherwise I am no worse for wear.

If I think of anything else to add, I will later.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    Smejmoon likes this.
  19. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

When you wrote a guy approached her, a similar experience of mine (something like 20 years ago, wasn't on salsa) immediatelly came to my mind ...

Chris_Yannick likes this.
  20. Aurel

Aurel Sonero

Sorry to hear that; the festival/romantic-escape did sound like a solid plan.

I like how the review turned into a suspenseful diary entry. I would never expect you to write that on a public forum :cool:, especially since you come across a bit introverted IRL (considering the other guys frequenting the wednesday socials).

Al Israel likes this.