Clubs In Your Area

Discussion in 'Member Reviews' started by peachexploration, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Kesh

Kesh Son

If you are ever in the San Francisco Bay Area, I would recommend Hot Salsa Friday in Campbell, on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Friday of every month.

Another great social is at the El Valenciano restaurant & bar in San Francisco.

2. Rivenga9

Rivenga9 Changui

Anygood ones in Montana?

3. Rivenga9

Rivenga9 Changui

Or Wyoming?

4. groovetpt

groovetpt Capitán Del Estilo

I saw a poster today for a club close by me called La Boom, on Northern Boulevard. I live in Queens. Los Van Van is playing there next Wednesday, Sept. 21! That is pretty awesome.

5. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

That's good to know. I can update their tours page ;)

EDIT: But they have no trumpets :lol:

6. groovetpt

Oh that's okay. They have many other redeeming qualities. :lol:

7. groovetpt

Well, I won't be able to make the Los Van Van show on Wednesday night. I have a gig of my own that night. But, it is cool just knowing they will be in my neighborhood. The last time I saw them was at Carnegie Hall, so it's pretty awesome that they will be at a regular club in Queens.

More info here for anyone in New York City that is interested: www laboomny.com

Oscar D'Leon will be at La Boom on October 9th.

8. EMOYENO

EMOYENO Pattern Police

NJ Salsa Clubs the one's I've been to so far:
    Crystals in Lyndhurst: Live music, very good dancers.
    Lounge 46 (tuesday nights): very good salsa dancing
    Euro Lounge: Latin Sundays : awesome dancers, for the hard core salsa dancer. DJ spins very very good salsa music. ♪ ♫ ♫ ♪

Still going around to see which are good places!!

9. timberamayor

Here is a little video from the SOBs concert the other night. During Que sorpresa (foto en la prensa) Mayito invited Pepito Gómez (ex-Pupy y los que son son) on stage for a little improv. Pepito sounds great. He has a timbre very similar to Israel Kantor who used to sing with Van Van. Pupy likes that type of voice and always wants a singer in the band with this sound. But it's not always easy to find someone.

youtu.be/dGradSGjgM0

10. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'Fania' Pacheco

San Francisco Bay Area

A very good resource created and maintained by SF member Kesh:

www.salsabythebay.com

P.S. - Macmoto may be you can add above link under San Francisco in the first post of this thread (city guides)?

11. timberamayor

At the FESTIVAL A LO CUBANO @ Quality Hotel Winn in Haninge, a suburb of Stockholm. the festival lasts all weekend and Yanek and Karelia will be here but I can't dance due to tendonitis hahaha. How unfair! Not taking any classes but I will be there for the concerts.

12. HothouseSalsero

HothouseSalsero Rhythm Deputy

I don't know clubs in NJ, but have you tried the Atrium? That's a dance studio that hosts very large salsa parties which pull from lots of dancers in Philadelphia as well as NJ. It's not the same as a club atmosphere, but that can have its good points--and it's definitely more high energy than many dance studio parties I've been too (mostly because it pulls in such a large crowd, including many good dancers). I've never really clicked with Barbara Capaldi, the owner of the Atrium, but I've always given her a lot of credit for creating a real sense of community at her studio. I've also seen dancers develop quickly under her tutelage.

http://www.atriumdance.com/

Look at this crowd:

http://picasaweb.google.com/atriumdancestudio/SummerSpectacular

Also, the Stardust Ballroom in NJ used to have a similar salsa night, less often, but I never made it to that venue.

13. Enetheru

Enetheru Son

Couldnt find any mention of adelaide in here so:
    http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msid=210460751161767240488.0004b2da4552872741c19&msa=0

IF anyone wants to collaborate on this map let me know, we could add the whole world to it...:D

the below is all I am aware of at the moment and I'm still fairly new.

Day of the week, Host Studio, Venue
    Tuesday, La bomba, Casablabla
    Wednesday, Latino Grooves, The Arkaba
    Wednesday, Latin Dance Nation, The Caledonian
    Thursday, Salsa Connection, Tapas
    Thursday, unknown, Cambridge Balcony Bar
    Friday, La bomba, The Talbot Hotel
    Saturday, La bomba, The Talbot Hotel

Less frequent are:

Every second Friday Latino Grooves Studio
    First Sunday of the month Latin Dance Nation, Zoots

Event Venues
    The Governor Hindmarsh
    The Arkaba

14. Natty

Natty Son

I'd be surprised if they managed to keep any a secret from you :lol:

15. EMOYENO

EMOYENO Pattern Police

Thanks for the posts!!! I havent been too far south of NJ. I've only been to NorthJersey areas.

16. HothouseSalsero

I realized after I posted that that you did mention being in North Jersey. I've never been familiar with venues there. I lived in Philadelphia and didn't have a car at the time. Only made it to the Atrium two or three times.

17. HothouseSalsero

I wish there were a regular Friday salsa night in Albuquerque.

And I would rather go out for a good DJ than some of these bands that really aren't playing salsa. Nosotros doesn't have much of a salsa feel, even when they are playing what is clearly salsa. Not remotely into them enough to want to see them all the time. And Son Como Son are polished musicians, but too timba-flavored for me a lot of the time.

18. splashiton

splashiton Changui

South West England

http://www.abanicosalsa.com

Other salsa clubs are available in the South West...

19. randomguy1992

randomguy1992 Changui

Anybody been to any clubs in Chicago? I'm hearing that I have to check out this place called Cubby Bear and XCalibur?

20. d2army

d2army Changui

I recommend Rumba in Chicago, the good dancers usually show up like real late though