Classic timba

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Klimax seems a bit too silky for my preference.

2. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

For me it's more Ernesto's voice that is silky - not the song per se.

3. timberamayor

Nothing that sounds really like this. The closest you might get would be NG La Banda or other Irakere songs of course. Irakere had a lot of great music. These are some of my favorites by Irakere.

Dissonant Harmony and elanimal like this.
  4. timberamayor

This is not the early group but certainly one of the great incarnations of NG. Complete concert. @elanimal you may have already seen it but just in case

Dissonant Harmony and elanimal like this.
  5. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

This is...VERY DAMN GOOD!!!

timberamayor likes this.
  6. timberamayor

Also from back in the day

disfrazadas likes this.
  7. Ah this is what I want to hear! Really distinct sound. I haven't heard these guys before.

This song is another with really strong Timba identity. It's definitely in my top 5 timba tracks.
    Subtle rhythmic innovations on percussion, intricately arranged bomba blasts, call and response between male and female, rousing mambo section, jazz influenced keys and Haila singing lead :) All the details aside it's a charming song which progresses into no holds barred excitement.

timberamayor likes this.
  8. timberamayor

I don't think there is a lot of info on them.
    http://www.timba.com/encyclopedia_pages/orquesta-440
    Yes early AN is some really great work. Limonta never recorded this on an album because he thought it was to "depressing" since it was about AIDS. I've probably told this story before, but back in the late 90s things were "sexier" than they are now in Cuba and ANs manager was trying to set up a concert and do something more interesting than use posters for advertising etc, so she talked to some condom company about distributing free condoms and they said they would do it if Limonta wrote a song about AIDS so he wrote this and the lyrics were printed on the condom packets. It would be a great timba relic to find an (unused) packet LOL

disfrazadas likes this.
  9. Hahahaha @ the timba relic!!!
    It's quite absurd that my impression of the song is totally opposite to the reality because I do not understand the majority of the lyrics. I never would have called it depressing otherwise, it always makes me happy when I hear it.
    I'm not too bothered that Limonta didn't record it, it's just a shame that there isn't a full quality version of the demo anywhere. The radio demo is still great though. The radio demo of "Eres Como Yo" is better than the album version IMO.

10. timberamayor

I totally agree I thing the radio demos are almost all better than the studio versions. And I have to say that in general I love songs that begin with rumba for some reason. Also the lyrics to Almas Disfrazadas aren't depressing per se. I think Limonta just finds the topic of AIDS depressing.

11. When a timba song starts with guaguanco it's a garantuee I am going to listen. I don't know what it is. ..
    My favourites are:
    De la habana a matanzas
    Ven Siroco ven
    Eres como yo
    Van van arrangement of consuelate como yo
    Any you can recommend?
    Somos cubanos I find just a drop underwhelming

AToyane likes this.
  12. timberamayor

rumberos latinoamericanos

El trágico

getting more modern the live version of Sin etiqueta I really like a lot

I'm a big fan of Pura vestimenta although it is less of an orchestrated rumba, but does have rumba at the start and is one of my favorite songs.

I think somos cubanos is more enjoyable live.
    Of course maykel blanco's bembé, but I assume you already have it. It really makes me think of De La Habana A matanzas :) Not classic timba either but does start with rumba.

Elito Revé A sancochar boniato starts with rumba. What I really like about it is yo have rumba, timba and son all in one song so it allows a lot of different dancing - which one could argue is the essence of timba.

Anyway, those are a few off the top of my head

AToyane likes this.
  13. Just started making my way through your suggestions (El Tragico I've already played to death upon buying Echale Limon).
    This song has too many uncanny similarities to

Specifically the chord progression and mambo melody at the end. Is there a reason for this? Like a homage or something?

14. timberamayor

It's possible but I have never heard anything about the arrangement by Manolito or the influences behind it.. Obviously Rumberos latinoamericanos is well-known but if it was coincidence or deliberate I can't say. Maybe some musicians could answer that if any are following this thread.