Classic timba

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, Nov 9, 2012.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

Yeah you may find alot of songs you like are civers of van van or adalberto alvarez

2. TSC

TSC Tumbao

Yeah, I know. . . it's kind of nice but sometimes also kind of disappointing, especially when you realize how many new hits are versions of old standbys. . . there's a lot of innovation and creativity in Cuban music but not quite as much as you assume at first glance!

There's also the related phenomenon of the countless musical and lyrics motifs that get repeated and pass from song to song and band to band, across genres. . . in a way that's part of the richness of the Cuban musical landscape, wonderful interconnectedness with people taking old motifs and hybridizing or retooling them. In another way, though, I think it can be a bit of a crutch.

3. timberamayor

Charanga Habanera from 1998 after the initial break-up but before Michel Maza went to Charanga Forever. Too bad it's just playback, but still it's worth watching just to marvel at how horribly they dressed in those days. LOL

If any timba-dislikers are bothering to read this thread you may marvel to hear that when I first heard this song I was blown away and decided it was the most perfect song ever written. I listened to it obsessively for hours on end - literally

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
    salsim and the like this.
  4. timberamayor

wildbill20056 likes this.
  5. timberamayor

wildbill20056 likes this.
  6. timberamayor

7. zoignk

zoignk Changui

I don't know if this song could be considered as timba, but that keyboard part on 1:50 gets me to delirium each time I hear it.

elanimal and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  8. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Capitán Del Estilo

Maybe timberamayor can help me out, but is that Roberto Hernandez singing lead vocal? Everytime I hear this song I always remember the local Casineros dancing on the Alki beach!! loved the line "Yo soy Van Van que le gustan la gente"

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  9. timberamayor

yes indeed that is Robertón also known as El Guayacán. Great song from one of my favorite CDs

10. timberamayor

Great song and many consider it to be the first real timba.
    Frome one of Kevi's articles "It shouldn't have been so surprising to Chucho that the 1972 dance crowd went berserk when they first heard this torrid track. Like La candela, it has a modern, aggressive, minor key aesthetic not previously heard in Cuban music but very essential to the timba of the 90s. Also like La candela, thebass tumbao transcends its traditional role. It follows the expected rhythmic template, but its broad, majestic melody and prominence in the arrangement elevates it from an accompaniment to a main theme which is later juxtaposed against the broad and powerful horn cuerpo."

this was the opening track to Juan de los Muertos and it was perfect.

Dissonant Harmony and zoignk like this.
  11. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Capitán Del Estilo

It sort of reminds me of early Santana with some Songo thrown it. Great track though!! Avant Garde stuff?.....Irakere-was lucky to see them live once!!

Dissonant Harmony and zoignk like this.
  12. timberamayor

13. timberamayor

Opus 13 with Paulito FG when he was just a young punk :)

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  14. timberamayor

Noticed that a bunch of videos have been taken down so adding them again
    papá changó - love it! Piano , horns, bass everything! Electrifying!

15. timberamayor

Lola, Lola is gone too so here is the studio version and indeed the first time I heard it I thought it was the most perfect song ever an listened to it obsessively over and over - for hours.

16. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

Perhaps because Santana actually covered it. :p

17. Ohhhh this thread is fun!

First timba song I fell in love with. Still my number 1 timba song, it exemplifies the spirit of timba for me. The piano tumbao which is played after the middle synth break down is one of the greatest piano parts ever, and its displaced resolve seems to have been the basis of charanga habaneras original keys player's style. Peruchin is the true timba piano master.

timberamayor and elanimal like this.
  18. timberamayor

Oh I missed this post from 2 years ago. Yes, in fact some people say it is actually the first timba track.

19. timberamayor

Some favorite old Klímax that I think isn't so inaccessible

Not the best audio but I like it with Calunga on lead best.

20. elanimal

elanimal Nuevo Ritmo

Wow. Is there anything else that sounds like this, @timberamayor ?