Classic timba

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, Nov 9, 2012.

1. MrTanguero

MrTanguero Changui

Another all-time favorite of mine.

elanimal, salsim and timberamayor like this.
  2. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

Love Mandy.

MrTanguero likes this.
  3. Yea, Croy was the guy taking lessons from Cuayo.

4. timberamayor

More Issac

AfroCubanPerWor likes this.
  5. timberamayor

The audio on the vocals isn't so great but some good NG live

jcarru likes this.
  6. estrella

estrella Tumbao

Listening to:
    Mayito Rivera & The Sons Of Cuba - Inventate Una Historia

Not what I expected but I really like the album, nice Cha cha (Harley Davidson de Cuba), Bolero and Salsa / Timba.

7. timberamayor

Have you read Mayito's articles at Timba.com? They might surprise you. Here is a link to his blog.

http://www.timba.com/blogs/el-poeta-de-la-rumba

estrella likes this.
  8. salsim

salsim Nuevo Ritmo

Irakere classic 1970s Timba

Boliviana
    Aguanile Bonko
    Rucu Rucu A Santa Clara

best regards all

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    timberamayor likes this.
  9. salsim

salsim Nuevo Ritmo

Pupy Pedroso is a Timba Maestro, and Mandy a great singer, like his voice tone and phrasing

best regards

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    timberamayor likes this.
  10. estrella

estrella Tumbao

Thanks for sharing , I am a great fan of Pup y :)

timberamayor likes this.
  11. timberamayor

Yeah, this is a fantastic song!

salsim likes this.
  12. salsim

salsim Nuevo Ritmo

I agree, it is a fantastic song

classic songs to me are not old songs, classic to me is a very good music that have made a mark, all the collection of music posted in this thread have made its mark in timba

best regards

13. BullitproofSoul

BullitproofSoul Shine Officer

can't say I'm a big Van Van fan,but does this count?

timberamayor likes this.
  14. jcarru

jcarru Changui

Gah! so amazing to hear Yo Soy Un Hombre live. It's a shame so little audio or video exists of NG's classic years but I guess this extends to pretty much everybody in the early timba years (I would love to hear how Issac was operating around the Con Ganas era, given that it's my favorite album of his).

I think Guaco is one of the most interesting bands around. They are decidedly not timba (I've spoken to some of their members and while they acknowledged its influence, especially during the 90s, they think their music is much more than just that) but they did operate similarly in parallel to timba's innovations. I also happen to think they had some sort of influence in timba's development.

1980's Disco Guaco flirts with disco, but it also changes gears (and there's a quasi bomba slide with guitar!)

by 1999, they were pretty much a timba band and Jorge Luis Chacin's compositions have a lot of the warmth Angel Bonne's songs had with Van Van, though the Blades influence is undeniable. They even included a Klimax song, for god's sake! Victor Mestas' piano is sublime

around 2002, Cuban pianist Cesar Orozco entered the group, they also went a bit poppier with some pretty chessy synth/latin pop stuff. However, they had some sweet jams like this. Odd-measures! Bomba slides! Silvio reference! I really admire how they manage to compress 6 minutes worth of song into 3 minutes.

15. timberamayor

Yep that counts :)

BullitproofSoul likes this.
  16. salsim

salsim Nuevo Ritmo

NG La Banda classic 1980s Timba

Vocals: Tony Cala & Issac Delgado

best regards all

17. salsim

salsim Nuevo Ritmo

NG La Banda in Switzerland with the original bandmembers who recorded the song
    best regards all

TSC likes this.
  18. salsim

salsim Nuevo Ritmo

here we can see a younger David Calzado of CH and Tony Cala in Orq Ritmo Oriental..... later he was in NG La Banda in the late 80s

best regards all

timberamayor likes this.
  19. TSC

TSC Tumbao

Viejo Lazaro by Juan Carlos Alfonso y Su Dan Den -- I don't hear people mention these guys much anymore, but this is an amazing track

NG La Banda's El Tragico, a very distinctive track that sticks in your head -- love the vibe

elanimal and timberamayor like this.
  20. TSC

TSC Tumbao

Today's discovery -- didn't realize that this awesome song was originally a Van Van piece:

These days people (myself included) are more familiar with the Yerba Buena version, which is also pretty great:

Discovered the 70s version while rocking out to this 100% amazing potpourri of 70s LVV hits (from Aqui El Que Baila Gana en vivo)

zoignk likes this.