Cheapest private lessons in Europe?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Andreas Winsnes, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Andreas Winsnes

Andreas Winsnes Changui

I'm staying in Europe this winter, so will appreciate it if anyone knows which European city has the least expensive private salsa lessons? I'm new to salsa. Don't need a pro level instructor. But like quick progress, by dancing 4-5 times a week, and therefore it will be nice to visit a city where private lessons are inexpensive and other dancers, in clubs, are generally friendly.

Have tried to check the websites of different salsa schools, but they usually don't mention how much private lessons cost per hour. By the way, I don't have a dance partner, so a female instructor is necessary. I can travel all over Europe. Doesn't matter if the city is in the east or west. Any recommendations?

2. simbaaa

simbaaa Changui

I would recommend to choose a city that simply has frequent group lessons and socials (i.e. every night) and just do group lessons before the party in every venue, and then dance in the social afterwards. Much cheaper and likely to be a lot more beneficial once you find the right club.

Anyway in London privates are from £30-50 per hour.

3. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

And now add in Hotel/Accom cost within a 25/30 mile radius .t probably is the only UK city with seven day social activity .

4. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

Hmm.. tricky. The cities where I know are very good scenes are usually expensive as well. Myself, I'd reach out to Rostov (Boogaloo, Respublika), Kyiv (go for privates), Warsaw (Salsa Libre). I have never been to Gdynia (Salsa Kings), so I don't know if they have dance scene. It's even more important to go out dancing than to take lessons. I have never been to Zagreb and Bucharest, but I'd check it out as well, good scene/dancers, cheap countries.

Since you want to take privates, what general advice you expect? Cost of living you can look up on the webs. The individual instructor - this will have to be your own decision.

Paris, London, St. Pete's, Moscow, Istanbul has what you need, but they're not cheap cities.

Don't focus on female instructor. Advanced dancers and good teachers can lead and follow. If you want to learn to lead, you better seek out someone who has experience doing that. And they'll find a female partner for you, if needed.

5. terence

Adv. dancer has nothing to do with teaching capability .For a beginner, teaching experience is a must , and even then no guarantee.

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  6. Smejmoon

Advanced and well developed dancers/teachers can both lead and follow. For privates one should seek out teacher like that. All I'm sayin'.

7. terence

That is an assumption. Being able to follow or lead, is only a small part of developing the necessary " teaching" of dance skills. You may be surprised how many Profs are unable to break down their opposites role. I've taught enough of those in that category ! .

8. Smejmoon

Then they are not well developed social dancers in my book. I assume you're talking about performancers?

LarsM likes this.
  9. terence

Not performers.
    Competitors for one ex. I can think of several couples from the past who had partnership problems and each thought it was the others fault and could not resolve the issue/s .
    To remember ; Leads and Follows roles in a partnership require different responses to each of those actions. Some are subtle some not .
    There are several technical aspects that may impact lead and follow. and one should be aware of each as they may have or could impact a lead response .

10. Smejmoon

So getting back to initial post - how would female teacher be better than male teacher for Andreas who is male?

11. terence

Gender has no part to play only competence by either sex. Male students particularly beginners,usually prefer ladies for private lessons .

Smejmoon likes this.
  12. sunsoul

sunsoul Shine Officer

I have spent time in a few places.. Stockholm is a nice city to stay in and there is a well developed salsa/bachata scene. Transport system is good and you can get around very easily. The parties during the week are well attended with the full range of abilities.

Barcelona would also be quite high on my list. I loved the Latin parties in the clubs. I think I will spend a week back there next summer..

Budapest is another place with a lot of parties. They have a website which lists all the parties happening in the city so it is quite easy to get around and find a place to dance. Costs will be cheaper than most other cities. Good mix of levels.

For a proper salsa course at a school and good instruction I think somewhere like Tallinn would be good. There are some decent instructors and well prepared courses. Social dancing would not be 4-5 times a week, though. The weekly parties are quite small but the two or three monthly parties are really fun and well attended. Costs would be relatively low.

13. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

based on my experience I say Romania/Bulgaria/Ukraine. They each have good scenes and are cheap. If you don't speak Russian I would go to either Bulgaria or Romania.