Best compliments ever!

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by smiling28, Sep 7, 2007.

1. LarsM

LarsM Nuevo Ritmo

To add, I took my first private lesson after 4-5 months of taking classes. Hugely beneficial, but I also needed quite a bit of time to absorb everything and practice in between lessons! Learning to dance is definitely a quadruple marathon or more, not a 100 m dash.

2. Winston

Winston Descarga

Summary: You'll have to go through beginners hell.

LarsM likes this.
  3. stuart hall

stuart hall Changui

Blimey, a lot of replies here since i last logged in - thanks everyone

Sorry not sure I was clear on my point for changing partners.
    My point was changing partners every min to another beginner partner, who also doesn't know
    whether she is doing the moves correctly or not - because none of us were checked by the tutor on stage
    (he spends half his time looking at the stage, away from the group on the floor - to show his hand movements) -
    so cannot possible see if the class is doing the movements correctly or not

If none of us know if we are doing the movements correctly, then every girl I switched to, my wrong moves just get worse
    and just makes all the learners more confused.

Smaller classes where the tutor actually moves between the learners on the floor - and showing how to make
    moves correctly is probably the best way forward for me then - agreed

I wouldn't mind paying say £10-15 a lesson, and go maybe twice a week if the class was say 10-15 people
    and the tutor moved between the students on the floor.

Not standing on stage showing everyone how great and snappy his dancing is

I guess at the end of the day, its just about making money for the tutors.
    Maximum numbers - they don't really give a toss if you don't learn anything - as long as you keep paying,
    every week.

I have an English friend who owns an English School in Bulgaria.
    He tells me the same thing.

' As long as the students keep paying, he doesn't give a toss '

So anyone know of any smaller clubs in Manchester I could join ?

4. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'Fania' Pacheco

You are very funny :)

5. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

I think it is a compliment.:) Thank you:)

6. John S2

John S2 Sonero

to SH: If you do a google search for salsa and the particular city you are interested in you will find that one of the first dancing schools that comes up has a beginners salsa course starting on Monday 6th November. Personally I think courses are better than drop in classes if you can commit to attending regularly. I can recommend the dance school concerned.

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  7. Offbeat

It Is! Why think?:)

8. stuart hall

stuart hall Changui

hi john,

thanks for that advice.

but

i think i will stick to finding a 1 to 1 lesson partner.

probably not for all day - reading replies here - i think it will be more productive
    2 or 3 evenings a week - say 2 hours per lesson.

so anyone interested in teaching me on this basis - £20 an hour please ?

9. stuart hall

stuart hall Changui

£30 an hour - anyone ?

10. John S2

John S2 Sonero

to SH: The more that is offered, the more likely you will be ripped off. The people that charge the most are sometimes flashy dancers who lack the necessary skills to patiently explain the basics.

11. Offbeat

1. Your offer fairly low for one on one lessons. They are more commonly referred to as privates or private lesson.

2. If someone were to accept your offer (irrespective of the rate), how do you know of he/she is a right teacher for you?

If you do want to take more one on one learning/lessons then my recommendation would be (keeping in mind you haven't taken or exposed much dancing or group lessons):

a. Try to engage a couple. That way the leader can teach/show you leading skills and the follower can give you instant feedback on what you can improve upon. An instructor that knows only leading or only following could end up being wrong choice (based on my understanding of your goals)

b. Make sure they don't focus on teaching only patterns leading skills, but also basic technique of weight transfer when doing the basic steps, etc. If you are going to take 2 hours lessons, say three times a week, then at least half an hour of each lessons should be devoted to exercises that help hone your technique.

c. There are many subtleties that go into teaching so they can spot the habits that make your movement jerky instead of smooth. No one really likes a jerky dancer and followers swoon over smooth lead. You should make it clear that it is your goal (if you want to make it your goal).

d. Ask for the last 15 or 20 minutes of each lessons for dancing time to various pieces of salsa music with your instructor. Get feedback. You want to avoid repeating mistakes (though that will invariably happen) and make new mistakes. That is how you learn.

Brain only retains somewhere between 15% to 20% of the new information if a lot is dished out. You need time to digest and process. There is no use overloading it with more information. Our best attention spans are somewhere between 20 to 40 minutes. One hour spread over ten days will help you 10x more than ten hours in one day.

12. stuart hall

stuart hall Changui

hi john,

thanks for your reply again here.

the beginners class i attended at the cuban revolution club manchester are all ALREADY being ripped off.
    we already have a flashy dancer who doesn't explain the basics or take the time to see if any of us are doing
    the moves correctly

swapping partners every min when everyone is out of sync - some moving forwards, some moving backwards -
    AT THE SAME TIME - is just wasting the time of the whole class.

the whole class is being ripped off - £200 an hour

Offbeat here suggests one hour lessons spread over 10 days would be better.

A good suggestion thanks.

So lets make it 1 hour a night, times 10 days and ill give you all a daily update here.

If i dont try 1 to 1 then Im never going to know.

So 1 hour a night x 10 nights it is then - £30 a night.

Anyone interested please ?

13. Peason

Peason Son

Just for your information, I don't think there are many people on this forum that live in Manchester.
    The ones that do, must be confident that they can give you the right tools to make you into a descent social dancer. And let's not forget they need to have the time available.
    So don't feel mad if no one picks you up on the offer.

You're going to have to do your research and find a good instructor in your area (I believe someone already made a suggestion) or even be willingly to make a trip for 2 weeks to go study with someone.

Good luck.
    And don't forget. Learning to dance will take time. No matter who your teacher is.

Dissonant Harmony and wol like this.
  14. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

Stuart, your desire to learn is admirable, but being shown moves and learning to dance are two different things, and there is a limit to how much information one can assimilate in one instance.

I repeat: Learning to dance is a process:

1) Take shorter lessons. (Spread over weeks).
    2) You must go to socials and practice.

---

-Just find yourself a course. (privates are expensive!).

-Keep attending that big place's lessons and socials.

*The course will give you the knowledge and fixing that you are looking for. (for a manageable, sustainable price).

*The "regular" classes will be your practice-field, where you can go through a repetition of what that you learned in the course.
    In addition: You will gain experience, and confidence, and also meet new friends in the scene. This will make joining socials more comfortable, and less embarrassing. (being a beginner isn't easy!)

*The socials are a very crucial to your learning: That's where you grow; I can't stress that enough!

---

-You sound like you are in a hurry...Take your time!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  15. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Just wish you lived closer to me !! ( I'm in Devon ) ..

16. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

20£ an hour?!? Terence, you are definately lowering your barriers! :)

Al Israel likes this.
  17. MrR

MrR Son Montuno

Back to topic. A longer story, a bit sleazy and spanning over more than a year now:

I met a young couple. Beautiful people, good dancers, conservatively dressed and behaving.
    I danced a few times with her and inside that prude shell was a smooth and dirty soul. :)
    Even her boyfriend seemed to really enjoy watching us.

I met her randomly in worse situations and once in a location with an intense red light. A few days after she mailed me: "I do not want to dance that sexy with you anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love to dance like that, but I am in a relationship and I don't want to be a person like that. X told me, that the top I wore became transparent when standing directly under the red lightbulbs and looking from an above angle. So in fact I was dancing naked for you."
    (Note: She wore a perfectly fitting black lace bra and by the way she knew to present it, I never got the idea, that she wasn't aware of the transparency problem of that top.)
    Months later I met her again, together with her boyfriend. Suddenly she was all over me trying to dance sexy. Well, no need to ask me twice ... :cool:
    Instantly after she did a not less sleazy "I am sorry" dance with her boyfriend. (You know the dances girls do, when they feel guilty for dancing too intimately with other guys?).
    Same thing happened again twice that evening.
    Met her again without her boyfriend. She was conservative as her preacher loves it. Blunt as I am I confronted her, being really surprised by her answer:

"You remember the evening we first met? Y and I were just friends until that evening, we hooked up that night, which I was waiting for a year for. He loves so much when I move sexy and to be honest, there is no other guy that can make me want to move sexy as you can!"

I feel used ... :D

LarsM and Smejmoon like this.
  18. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

o_Oo_Oo_O hm.....

19. Marisha

Marisha Descarga

I think she is physically attracted to you. It is not about her boyfriend at all. Maybe he just tolerates that because he loves her.

20. Offbeat

Why do I get a feeling you enjoy being used :D

Marisha likes this.