Basic step weight transfer

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by sindi, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

These textual descriptions and talk of ball flat makes my eyes gloss over. I never try to read and visualize what it says. Can someone make a actual video and post it please!!!!

What is BALLFLAT, What is BALL and what is FLAT?

2. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

Ball of the foot is that circular bony part just under your big toe. What it means is that you first touch the floor with that part and then you lower the heel to touch the floor.

So ball touches first alone and does not lift off the floor. Once the heel is lowered and is also touching the floor then at that moment both the ball and heel are touching the floor, so at that moment the foot is "flat" on the floor.

3. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

We must be careful because this does not say anything about the weight transfer. I can touch ball flat and not put any weight on it. But I assume you mean full weight transfer only when the heel touches the floor (i.e. when going flat).

4. Offbeat

I didn't mean anything :) I was asking what it meant and a visual video to demonstrate it :)

5. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

Sorry @Offbeat I made a mistake, I meant to quote @Del Dominguez post.

And as a consolation here is a video. Look at the first with Pineda. Look at the first few seconds how he touches with the front part of the foot and then puts the heel down. He does not step with front and heel at the same time nor heel first.
    http://www.salsaforums.com/threads/hip-action.29989/#post-319460

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  6. BMorin

BMorin Son

You could also break it down as
    Ball (1)
    Flat (&)
    Ball (2)
    Flat (&)
    Ball (3)
    Flat (4)

What made the most sense to me was:
    Step (1)
    Shift (&)
    Step (2)
    Shift (&)
    Step (3)
    Shift (4)

7. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

I like this one (on2 assumed)

Ball (&)
    Flat (1)
    Ball (a)
    Flat (2)
    Ball (a)
    Flat (3)

8. Offbeat

I still have no idea what all that is :D

9. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

1, 2 and 3 are numbers ...
    a and & are letters ...
    Ball is feet with heel of the floor
    Flat is feet on the floor
    Inner edge is used to describe behavior when non cuban guy is trying to dance like cuban (needles to say, without success)

Live2dance likes this.
  10. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

:rofl:

11. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

This is pure BR Rumba and Cha! I assume you know this!

12. BMorin

BMorin Son

I also push off my break steps ;-)

Yeah, I'm aware that I use a more ballroomy/performance vs street looking basic.

13. meatythud

meatythud Changui

I've been taking la and cuban lessons for a few months, and the two teachers move in totally different ways. I've been struggling to replicate the cuban movement for a few weeks and this weekend i had a lightbulb moment. I stopped thinking about 6 steps or even 8 beats. Instead the 1-2-3 kind of melded into one long pulse, which then flows into the 5-6-7 pulse. The 1-2-3 became one rounded movement and my feet just kind of happen to touch down three times per pulse. Actually it feels like i have all the time in the world to complete each pulse - there's no more haste needed even with fast music. I suddenly understood what my cuban teacher means when he says i need to take smaller steps and relax my knees to free my hips. It doesn't work if i can't get my hip and knee over each foot as it touches down (not quite literally, but in how it feels). And for the first time my arms really did take care of themselves. But of course these things only make sense now i can "feel" it.

I love it when hours and hours of practice suddenly pay off :D

Jag75 likes this.
  14. delic

delic Changui

That's awesome....it's become "the way you move." After while, you'll implement it into your other movements like partnering..all the best!