Basic step weight transfer

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by sindi, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Offbeat

Offbeat El Sabroso de Conguero

Not all cuban hips are the same :D

kbitten likes this.
  2. vit

vit Clave Commander

Yes - I wanted to say that for those latinos, it looks like they were born with that kind of movement or at lest learned to move that way when young, like it's part of their lifestyle, unlike for us europeans which have to learn to imitate their way of dancing (most of us at least). It looks like they don't think about that, their hips and rib cage just move in harmony with their movement on the floor

However, I'm fine with exaggeration, even very big - as long as it feels good (in case it's my follower) which means I feel the harmony in movement of her whole body.and some connection of that movement with the music (and me)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  3. kbitten

kbitten Clave Commander

no of course, she doesnt have "sloppy stepping" ;) she seems to me like a well trained dancer so its very different..like Alien hips..one can see she has cuban hips just by watching her doing a basic.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. kbitten

kbitten Clave Commander

sorry, I didnt know you were in that specific class..I did two classes with him and I loved both! I can understand sometimes the things he says may seem strange or look even more strange but if you can extract his hints/tips and put them to your body I can see one can improve a lot ( talking about body movement of course) !

5. beethoven435

beethoven435 Changui

Hi all!,
    I am a beginner in Salsa, new to this website! My instructor started with just knee bend, push into floor, hip movements - no rib/shoulder movements yet. He told me to move only lower body. I am not sure how to make sure I am moving only the lower body for example while doing in place just 1 and 2 or in a side step. I am not sure if there are any torso movements or not that may be affecting my hip action.

Also does the hip move laterally or up or twist or all of it / some of it ?

I came across this video on youtube :

How To Salsa Dance & Hip technique With Gustavo Ferman ( could not post link here )

Also I wonder, in speed, how is it possible to push into the floor to get the weight transfer and hip movement, no time to push into the floor , is there ?

6. BMorin

BMorin Son

Video looked reasonably correct. This is stuff that is best shown and takes a lot of practice and instructor correction to get right.

It will feel awkward at first, but once you start to get it, it will become a very fast and efficient form of locomotion.

7. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

I don't 100% agree with Gustavo here.

I'll see if I can find videos with better (imho) instruction.

8. Offbeat

There is nothing inherently incorrect in what he says. But yes, I wouldn't recommend that video to someone to learn the hip movement.

9. Offbeat

Agree. This is very hard to learn from youtube videos. You need a competent instructor to break it down and work with you. There are many places you can go wrong and without feedback from an instructor not know what you are doing wrong.

It is matter of practicing it. You have keep practicing it till it becomes a habit. Most people lack proper hip movement in their salsa dancing, either because they never learnt the right way or don't have enough practice.

10. beethoven435

beethoven435 Changui

Thank your for your replies guys..

Jag75 - Please send some good videos if you have !

I looked at a couple of Franklin Diaz videos as well..

The two things I could take from Gustavo video was his emphasis on:

1. how the hip goes left first in order to go right - needs to give a push like how we throw a ball in forward direction by going back first, but, more importantly,

2. he emphasises a lot on how upper body should not move as a result of lower body movement - For me this happens only if the center is the controlling engine so that stepping forward back would not move the upper body in return in other words isolation - it's all down down down I take - force - the mass coming from abs ? then only I can push as I think in Physics, in order to push down some weight must be preexisting onto the stepping leg.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  11. vit

vit Clave Commander

Students are frequently told to "push into the floor", but at least in my venue this teaching method proved to be quite problematic - people tend to stiffen up the core in the hip area in order to push into the floor, and the floor doesn't give up anyway. Hips and core must be relatively relaxed, so if it doesn't work for you either, try thinking the opposite - floor is pushing into your hips/body through the leg which has weight on. Good luck

12. beethoven435

beethoven435 Changui

Thanks.

Found this link. Detailed breakdown. There is also a separate link on standard technique.

dancecentral (dot) info/ballroom/international-style/latin-technique

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  13. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

Actually - ballroom technique is in fact different to street salsa technique. In all honesty you'll need to get instruction, whether personal or via video (DVD, etc), from someone who is an actual "street" salsa dancer, as opposed to ballroom. You'll also notice that there's no actual such thing as ballroom salsa - "Latin" is not synonymous with salsa.

My recommendation is Oliver Pineda's Body Movement DVD.

akdancer likes this.
  14. beethoven435

beethoven435 Changui

I think my instructor is teaching the ballroom way. Yes I will look around for other instructors.

Thank you for the recommendation of Oliver's DVD !!

15. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

By the way which salsa style are you aiming at?

16. beethoven435

beethoven435 Changui

I am not yet aware of the various styles, however , learning On1 currently. I intend to aim for a grounded look.

17. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

If you are doing on1 then there will be a lot of spinning and your posture and frame would need to be good to achieve effortless movement. I have yet to see a salsa "teacher" teaching anything about this. Only the top ones may do it because they have an idea of what needs to be done. The rest just teach patterns and don't understand how to help you when you are not able to do them. The few top salsa teachers are usually hard to find and they usually have some other dance or even ballroom background (e.g. like Pineda)! So I would not discard your "BR" teacher (if he is indeed BR). You may need to explain to them what you are looking for in terms of hip action (i.e. more relaxed cuban motion rather than competitive BR hip action). In any case my standard recommendation is to start with merengue just to get the basic hip action.

beethoven435 likes this.
  18. beethoven435

beethoven435 Changui

your posture tip is very important , thank you! Otherwise it is not me who dancing, I do not have the proper control I mean :)

and yeah I think I need to relax during the dance :)

I will continue with the merengue before I move on to forward backward basic

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Live2dance likes this.
  19. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

That "term" has come into being, to describe the main differences ,between the BR style and the "club" style .

The rules in BR are very rigid, whereas in

" street style "Salsa, for the want of a better term, many are broken ( heel leads are just one ex.)

It's also about "how" one looks on the dance floor. Frame and Hold are completely different (or should be ! ), and all too frequently , the BR world uses pop music for teaching, Comps and Dems. It has however, got much better, in some cases.

I actually, this past week, criticized a dance vid on Dance Forums salsa site , where someone, apparently, thought the vid was "good" salsa ( specifically , the music ) .

It would be disingenuous to state that, there is only one way to dance any particular dance, due to it's stylistic appearance. However, when the roots of the dance are abandoned, than much comes into question .

20. Del Dominguez

Del Dominguez Changui

If we look to our Ballroom friends, they suggest (which makes sense) teh footwork of the dance is "Ball, Flat."

I teach the step:
    BALLFLAT (one motion over one count/"1")
    BALLFLAT (one motion over one count/"2")
    BALL (on 3)
    Flat (on 4)

--------------

BALLFLAT (one motion over one count/"5")
    BALLFLAT (one motion over one count/"6")
    BALL (on 7)
    Flat (on 8)

It's easy this way and helps you address the pause in the music. It also helps you to look active with your body....good stuff.