as a leader, do you practice the follower part? and viceversa?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by granrey, Oct 9, 2017.

1. granrey

granrey Tumbao

I was practicing on my own some of the moves that I struggle the most which are the 360 variations.

I noticed I was doing better on the leader part , after I practiced the follower part (imagining being lead and doing the move).

things look quite different from the follower perspective.

do you guys do that as well? as a mean to improve your leading?

2. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

All BR types ( Pros ) have to dance mans and ladies figures for exams, A good practice that should be done in Salsa . For a student, it doesn't do any harm..benefits ? a moot point..

3. Juanan

Juanan Changui

Two years ago I have more free time and to practice and learn the follower part my solution was go to specialized classes in the LGTB community and take the roll of the follower. Was a great experience and I want to repeat it at some point. It is a shame that in 'normal' classes of Latin dances it is difficult for a man to go as follower.

4. terence

There will always be that innate fear for the male to be perceived as feminine when taking on a ladies role .
    The classic ex.. the BR practical exams require a lady to dance as man and Lady but NEVER the man, he only dems the figures and dances Practical .

5. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

I do both roles in all of my dances -
    Both in class and at socials...

Juanan likes this.
  6. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

I tried dancing as follower on classes (BR, salsa, zouk, wcs), but only with teachers, which is very useful to get a feeling what leading of the move should be like. Especially with my already mentioned BR teacher that was top level pro - dancing with him feels as smooth as flying in 1st class of B747, so trying both leader and follower role with him is really useful

Never tried with other guys from the class; don't feel a need to check how surviving the bad lead looks like :p

Winston and Dissonant Harmony like this.
  7. Dissonant Harmony

Leading & Following isn't an: "I do my part; you do yours" thing:
    Following should be consequential to the lead.

In other words: Lead should be "follow-centered" -
    You first have to ask yourself what you want the follow to do -
    And then you have to lead accordingly (so her reaction to your lead would be what you had wanted her to do).

-Learning the follow's part is integral to learning the leading in the first place...

-But when I wish to Improve my lead - then yes, I do the female's part. But not alone:
    I ask someone (competent) to lead me to it - because what I want to get from that exercise - is what the follow should feel from the lead.

manzanadulce, vit and Juanan like this.
  8. terence

I have stated this before but it's worth repeating..

The man in real terms follows the lady in fwd steps, and the opposite happens in reverse. Man gives indication for lady as to direction ( with body ) she then creates space into which we step.

Dissonant Harmony, Offbeat and Juanan like this.
  9. Juanan

Juanan Changui

I imagine that is the problem, they confuse 'adopt' a role with 'adopt' a gender.

From my point of view, there are several distinctions:
    - A man chooses to be a follower.
    That does not make him 'less masculine' and, moreover, he does not have to 'dance like a woman', but correctly follow the leader.
    - A man chooses to be a follower and adorns his dance.
    Equally, that does not make him 'less masculine' and, those adornments can be the same or the same style that when dances in the roll of leader.
    - A man chooses to be a follower and 'dance like a woman'.
    That is, trying to imitate the way of moving and the adornments that a woman does.
    IMO, that does not make him 'less masculine', since it is a 'representation how in the theater'. Although it is the option that I least like because I think it is very artificial and very few men manage to do it with ease.

In the 21st century, are there still men who think that options 1 or 2 make them look feminine? (In Option 3 I could understand it remotely)

On the other hand, there is the 'fear' of touching or being close to another man. I do not know what they fear in those cases !! A hug, is a gesture of affection, not a sexual gesture. And, at the dance, he does not even need to wear 'affection'.

vit, G809, Marisha and 1 other person like this.
  10. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'Fania' Pacheco

Except for WCS, I have learnt dancing as a follower in both salsa and tango, including follower's technique. In both dances it proved immensely useful and advantageous to know how the dance feels as a follower. It is also fun to dance as a follower and helps improve your own leading skills (which has been acknowledged by many leaders on SF). I don't dance socially as a follower. I never practiced socially and not sure I enjoy it, except as an one-off fun goody thing.

Smejmoon likes this.
  11. terence

I agree with your posit , but to answer the above question I have had in the recent past, males who are very reluctant to use me as a partner for the purpose of checking a lead . One actually said this ( which made me laugh ) and I quote ; " I hope you don't mind said he, but Terence you are the ugliest F.... ing woman I have ever danced with " .

Juanan, DJ Yuca, Smejmoon and 2 others like this.
  12. Dissonant Harmony

:rofl:

Male-male (social) dance can be ridiculously hilarious...many times - because with a male friend you may cross some lines that with a female - you shouldn't. :cool:

13. Offbeat

Hmm. Like what? Example please? (Hopefully it is not wrestling on the dance floor :D)

14. G809

G809 Changui

I've seen lots of examples of Pineda doing this kind of thing; here's one:

granrey likes this.
  15. vit

vit El Sabroso de Conguero

These is worse even than most sensual bachata clips :hungover:

Live2dance likes this.
  16. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

Practice yes! Dance socially, no! And that counts for BR and salsa/bach.

17. granrey

granrey Tumbao

I have seen that on YouTube with women as well . in the channel "the salsa room". they have lots of bachata videos as well. there you can see women doing things to each other than you don't see guys doing to them.

vit likes this.
  18. terence

In the UK ladies dancing together in public has been around for at least 80 years they even have young ladies comps (and I don't mean gay ones )

19. Offbeat

1. I asked example of ‘crossing the lines’. Nothing in that video shows so.
    2. Obviously they are goofing around and that’s the dance equivalence of sarcasm at the whole ‘sensual’ craze.
    3.They are exaggerating some of the moves seen on the dance floor or performances.
    4. I have seen every move from that clip in social dancing.

Mostly when a girl and a guy dance, they are dancing, not goofing around. Not that they can’t but that’s as less as two guys doing the same.