All about spins!

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by MacMoto, Mar 15, 2008.

1. azzey

azzey El Sabroso de Conguero

It's much harder to do it on ice. Trust me, I did Ice Skating for 10 years. It also hurts more when you screw up.

2. kerry.alder

kerry.alder Sonero

I actually did figure skating before Latin dancing too. Spinning on the spot was easy, jump spins where you lift off and spin in the air look very impressive but I hear you, if you crash land, bruises can occur. I don't want to recall how many times I've had to use powder to cover up figure skating injuries haha

Getting back to dancing though, with a skating background, did you ever want to do both salsa on a dance floor as well as salsa on ice as an ice dancer?

3. azzey

I was a speed skater so no, dancing on ice was not something I wanted to do but when I started doing Salsa I did sometimes try to speed around the other couples.

4. andreiro

andreiro Son Montuno

5. DaveFUK

DaveFUK Tumbao

6. misty

misty Son

Has couple ever try to sync spin?

7. wildbill20056

wildbill20056 Sabor Ambassador

By sync spin you just mean lead a spin and spin yourself at the same time?

Sure I regularly lead a sync spin out of a one hand hammerlock --> copa

Sometimes it comes out as a turn on the part of the follower, but with the followers who are used to me 99% it's a sync spin.

Of course when my spins went on a holiday (due to simply not practicing them for far too long) this turned into a lovely spin on their time and some weird ass hybrid on my part.

Sorted now thank god, now onto the 2,656,045 other things to fix in my dancing :p

8. Salsa Timing

Salsa Timing Changui

Great compilations of articles MacMoto! Thanks for doing this!

9. Ed2334

Ed2334 Changui

Spins

I have been practicing my spins lately and I found that these tips that I found on a website really helps. I 'm just referring to individual spins not one that is lead by someone. The previous posts were very helpful as well.

dancesalsaintoronto.com/Toronto_Salsa_Blogs/Toronto_Salsa_Blog_10%20Tips%20Better%20Salsa%20Spins.html

10. jini

jini Changui

wow...thanks...

11. mickel

mickel Changui

gracias wow!

12. shalymere

shalymere Changui

Nice one Mac :)

13. SirDancealot

SirDancealot Son Montuno

I dare say getting used to spinning on ice has caused a fair few bruises! :)

I remember one venue we used to have that had a floor not too disimilar to an ice rink (most slippery floor I've ever been on). It was brutal and unforgiving but on the plus side you learned to get your posture right - and quickly! (or else) ;-)

14. azzey

Oh yes! Though you can't beat it when you get a trick wrong and you're speed skating at top speed during a social night... if hitting the ice isn't bad enough you are then a human bowling ball collecting water as you slide towards the edge.

I remember that one. Really sorts the men from the boys so to speak. :)

15. AndrewS

AndrewS Shine Officer

16. Domenico

Domenico Son

@MacMoto, really a great work!
    Unfortunately it happens very often that in forums people keep asking the same questions, especially if you are a new member and haven't surely read all threads. It happens to me too, of course :wacky:.
    It is really very useful what you have done.

Spinning technique is an interesting topic :bookworm:
    Lots of practice....till one almost :vomit:

Slowdance likes this.
  17. goldemblem

goldemblem Changui

Andreiro. Oh my god... That was incredibly epic

18. calichris10

calichris10 Sabor Ambassador

I don't get why peeps make such a big deal about turns/spins..in other forms of dance like ballet and jazz these turns are common place. There is a little girl who does something like 54 pirouettes...
    Spins are not that hard, you just have to spot, know your center of gravity and practice your booty off!

19. azzey

Because people in Salsa are so crap at them.