2017 Berlin Salsa Congress Roll Call

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Sabrosura, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

Have you looked at the several other hotels they list, though? They seem like cheaper options.

I'm going to do a quick hotel search for the area and if nothing good comes up at a decent price, will turn to AirBnb.

2. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Clave Commander

I thought there were some cheaper options. Usually I'll use a site like booking.com to find hotels near the event. In addition to being cheaper, they often have more character than the big congress hotels.

3. Offbeat

Offbeat Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

I do that too. My first preference usually is the congress hotel or something very close to it. Sometimes I have found the same hotel at a lot cheaper rate than the discounts offered. For bigger congresses I prefer the venue hotel because it is easy to run to the room, take a shower and come back. I don't take workshops at the festivals, staying at the venue hotel makes it easier to meet other dancers. At Berlin it appears the dance venue is not in the hotel. That opens up more possibilities.

SnowDancer likes this.
  4. Sabrosura

Hey guys,

Ok I did my accommodation reconnaissance research, looked on several websites at both hotels and Airbnbs. Hard to find anything lower than $80 per night in that area as it is quite central. Most hotels are $80-90+. Tried booking the only two AirBnbs that were reasonably close, but both declined as they had messed up their calendars and weren't actually available.

So, I just booked the last available room at the Holiday Inn Express, which is the cheaper option they list on the congress site (2 minutes from the congress venue) with the congress special offer: 60 euros per person per night in a double room (120 euros per night for two people per room).

So there is space for one other person in the room, for October 6-9 (Friday-Monday) -- let me know if anyone wants to share!

5. SnowDancer

Staying at the Three Little Pigs Hostel with a private single room, about 4 minutes walk. Hotels near the event are not only expensive, but seem to be filling up. I'll be there from the 2nd through the 10th.

6. Offbeat

What is the rate :) How large is the room?

7. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

I'll be there; will stay at the friends place. Will be happy to see everyone, but as always in big fests we should be lucky for that to happen. I hope you all will join afterparties, from my experience that's the way to get great dances in Berlin.

8. Sabrosura

Room already booked, sorry (by another, less active SFer)

9. Sabrosura

Well we should organize a SF dinner of course :) Any restaurant suggestions?

As for afterparties, are they at the congress venue, or in people's rooms with special invitation :)

10. Smejmoon

Both, but the year I went the good dancing was at congress venue when main hall closed.

thepresenceon2 and Sabrosura like this.
  11. Sabrosura

@Offbeat Disregard this, thought you had replied to me instead of SnowDancer :)

12. Offbeat

That was for snowdancer indeed :) He always finds these offbeat places which are cheaper. Therefore I was curious.

For me it is always a trade-off between comfort (proximity to dance venue) and cost!

SnowDancer likes this.
  13. SnowDancer

The room I got is about $70/night, and looks very small from the picture, with just a single bed, and it doesn't have its own bathroom. That's pretty high for a hostel; but Berlin seems to be fairly expensive, and the congress area was really getting booked up. I usually spend more time searching and reading reviews, but I procrastinated too long this time.:oops:

BTW, I just use booking.com; they seem to have lots of budget hotels and hostels. It's a good site: lots of reviews, and you usually don't pay until you get to the hotel. But they do spam you a lot!:spam:

14. Offbeat

Don't you use different account for online booking and buying? I do. That way they can spam all they want :) Though I usually don't give them permission to send their spams or unsubscribe when I see it. The good thing is I only open the account when I am booking something or retrieving booking info.

15. Cenicienta

Cenicienta Changui

Hi - first post on SF although I've been lurking a while :) I was wondering if anyone who's been to the Berlin congress before can tell me, would you say the area around the Tempodrom is safe to walk around alone in the early hours? Looking at Streetview it looks like an area that would normally be completely deserted at night, but I guess during the congress there are likely to be people around at all hours?

16. Sabrosura

Hey guys, if anyone knows of anyone who needs a room for Sunday night, let me know. My spot will be free as I need to fly back Sunday afternoon (double room, shared with another SFer).

17. Offbeat

I will be in Berlin from 4th through 10th (at least). So far I can count about 6 SFers who seem to have confirmed. Meet and greet and dinner?

18. Offbeat

I think most of us (except Smejmoon) are attending for the first time. Someone more familiar with Berlin or a local can perhaps answer your question better. Why not send a note to the organizer or ask on the FB group of the BSC?

From my experience, having attended a number of congresses over the years in different cities, I can't think of any one place where it was not safe to walk in the night or early hours. Plus you can always walk with other attendees. Berlin is supposed to be one of the biggest (in terms of attendance) congresses. There ought to be enough people walking to the same metro station or hotels close by during the hours when dancing gets over.

Cenicienta likes this.
  19. Smejmoon

The area seemed quite safe to me, but I'm kinda tall dude and my childhood was in a very rough ghetto, so I can spot trouble and avoid it way before it gets serious. For me neighborhood without people seems safer than one where drunks are wandering all night. Where are drunks, there are muggers.

20. Smejmoon

Just to add that salsa in NYC is in quite shady neighborhoods. It still felt safe to me. I think violence comes and goes, better ask locals. Or check if there are bars at the windows. That's sure sign.